What's new

American Idol - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, if you have some amount of real talent, or at least enough to warrant trying out, they'll be nice to you. If you look like you have talent but you were too nervous, they're nice to you. If you sincerely wanted to do good but just couldn't, they'll be nice to you.

But you show an attitude to them, pretend you're "all that," or come on with a horrible singing voice, then of course they're going to mock you.

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
Unbelievable! Detroit had 7,000+ people and they had 1!!!! person make it to Cali. Toledo did better than Detroit......out of the 3!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
people that made it from Detroit, 2 were from Toledo(never mind that Toledo has 15 or 20% of the population of Detroit). Geez......what the heck is up with THAT?? LA had 40+ people make it out of 13,000.......doesn't bode well for talent in this area of the Midwest. But happy to see that we did have 2 people make it......they even had the Candie girl on the live local news after the show. And some of the people's reaction to their criticism.........OMG! You deserve to be treated MUCH worse than you were. Looking forward to next week......

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Did anyone listen to Howard Stern Monday morning? Had the three judges on and brought in a couple of people for them to evaluate. Thing was, the second guy was the lead singer of Saliva and he sang the first verse of 'Hero' which he/they sold 8 million copies of. Naturally, the wonder trio told him that he didn't have what it took to make it in the music industry. ;)

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator
I think they should have a big Gong behind the judges table :)

Most of the contestants remind me of the old Gong Show.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
phil-w,

I thought the same thing. With Confessions of a Dangerous Mind coming out and the recent "Confessions of a Gong Show Marathon" on Game Show Network, I could see the similarities and agree with you.

Gong-ing the contestants would be funnier to watch.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I'll admit it. I enjoy watching people get bashed for their horrible singing. I think its hilarious.

However, I did feel really bad for cedric the pimp though. I was about to get in my car and drive to Austin and take him home.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
1/28/03 episode: Atlanta/Nashville

Atlanta sets a record for the most "talent" going to the next round.

Nashville was a ghost town of talent, which is strange, considering its heritage.

The guy singing "Like a Virgin" was scarily clueless.

The little boy singing "Let's Get It On" was simulataneously cute and disturbning.

The showboat singer was also hilarious (the exchange between him and Simon, that is).

I still think some of the talent they allowed to the next round shouldn't be going, some of the singers that get that scratchy throat thing when they try to hit loud and high (just doesn't sound all that good to me, but the judges praise their voices).

Jodee

Screenwriter
Unbelievable! Detroit had 7,000+ people and they had 1!!!! person make it to Cali.
No, they had about 20-something people who made it to Hollywood. I think they only showed 1 perform. But at the end, they quickly flash all the people's faces.

I seem to remember there was some controversy when they came to Detroit, because several thousand people were turned away and not even given a chance to audition. There was probably lots of talent that got turned away.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I thought most contestants had to go through a preliminary audition, before standing before Simon on television. Wouldn't some of these people have been eliminated?

Which makes me think that certain people are singled out in the preliminaries as being particularly rotten, in an entertaining way, and they are allowed to go on television, to be humiliated.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
As entertaining as this show is, the problem with some of the people who try out, are more interested in fame and fortune, than developing a talent in singing.

Aside from that, the dude who sang "Like A Virgin", what was he thinking? And what were the producers thinking letting him sing another song?

Had it not been for the show's ratings, he would not have gotten his first note out during a real audition.

I sure hope the show has really tight security. The sanity of the some of those people is questionable.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I don't mean to question the judge's ability to detect crap, which they do very amusingly, but what puzzles me is this: why do all the singers they like have the exact same vocal style? Every one who is "going to hollywood" does that cliched bit where they take a note that one would expect would be sustained if one were to look at the word in a dictionary, and play around with it to extend it, change pitch mid-way through it, etc.

Obviously I lack the musical language to explain this, but if you've seen that Bodyguard film, you'll know what I mean if I say:

"And I-eeeiii--yiii will always love yoooo-ooohhh-oooooowwwwoooooo"

I mean, is that what is considered talent now? The ability to do that one trick? Do they ever have anyone win who doesn't fit that cookie cutter? Does this style have a name?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I think a lot of those let into the next round last night shouldn't be there. There are too many people auditioning who think they need to be extremely loud when they sing. I mean if it is annoying to my ears and I'm watching it on tv I can only imagine how annoying the sound must be in real life.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Will B

I know what you mean, and yes I get tired of it. It seems everybody is trying to do that now. It's annoying. Christina Aguillera and Mariah Carey are extrememly guilty of this.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, glad you know what I mean. My description was somewhat lacking!

Say, what's the word on Aguillera, now that you mention her -- is she just a model who plays the visual part for a talented African American vocalist, or is she real? I'm thinking she's a Milli Vanilli situation, but I don't really follow the commercial product.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I always thought it was called singing? Showing some range, some power, holding notes, changing pitch, and being able to do it all live without the benefit of studio trickery? To me, that's vocal talent. And it's far superior and impressive compared to the current crop of tissue-paper-thin-voiced, monotone, I-can't-hold-a-note-so-I'll-yodel "singers" who are basically just "talking" to the music yet seem to be all that populates the radio dial right now. Gimme a real belter with some power, volume, and range. :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
A musician friend of mine has informed me that it is called "jumping octaves" and that it is pretty over-used on American Idol.

Malcolm, not doubting these folks can sing, but if all they can do is this jumping octave stuff, how would they fare if they were handed an opera score or something else?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I always thought it was called singing? Showing some range, some power, holding notes, changing pitch, and being able to do it all live without the benefit of studio trickery? To me, that's vocal talent. And it's far superior and impressive compared to the current crop of tissue-paper-thin-voiced, monotone, I-can't-hold-a-note-so-I'll-yodel "singers" who are basically just "talking" to the music yet seem to be all that populates the radio dial right now. Gimme a real belter with some power, volume, and range.
I threw out the radio LOOOONG ago, at least all those "giving you a variety of 10 songs" radio stations. You don't need to watch American Idol to hear great vocal talent, just check out some college a cappella groups. One group that I highly recommend is the Virginia Hullabahoos, and their website (with awesome song samples) can be found here:

http://www.student.virginia.edu/~bhoos/

Links on their site will eventually take you to websites of other a cappella groups.

Anyways, I caught a rerun of AI just an hour ago, and it was the first time I watched American Idol, because the local affiliate usually shows a Simpsons rerun during that time, but they decided to show an AI rerun instead. It was the episode where the contestants had to sing in groups, and ugh...I honestly don't know how some of these people have stayed alive so long with their personalities.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Aguilera can sing, but she's got some issues outside of singing though.

Tonight's episode was sadly entertaining. Young and stupid is one way to look at it. The little drama that played out between Julia and Kimberly (stout blonde) was pretty juvenile.

The "duet" by Frenchie and the other Kimberly was pretty good, but they will face some "cosmetic" issues, but both can sing up a storm.

Can't believe they let go Rodriguez dude, he'd be entertaining, while keeping the new Sideshow Bob for AI 2003.

The waitress who's good at nothing had a decent voice, I wanna hear more of it.

"Hercules" still cracks me up, even when he was doing his Michael Jackson routine.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
"Hercules" is my favorite so far. He impressed me with the Michael Jackson number, which I didn't think he had in him.

~T

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
The people they cut were so obvious. All those kids with the huge egos that whenever they had a camera in front of them they were saying how great they were.

The Julia/Kimberly thing was interesting. Julia was totally right though. They ditched her the night before without any explanation. They didn't even say they were sorry the next day. Julia was right in making them wait for her, if they aren't there to work then she should just be practicing by herself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks