What's new

Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off! (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]cause the guy was like... "Yes, it hasn't shipped" and I had to keep prompting him to get to the "OK, so when is it going to be shipped?" part of the conversation.
And the answer to that part of the conversation is usually,,,
"Can you please hold while I check with my supervisor?"

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Ordered a bluray of DEATH IN VENICE (Criterion collection). Amazon(USA) sent me an email saying that the item was returned to them as it was undeliverable. Not the first time that it has happened to me.All my address details were 100% correct. A friend of mine has had the same experience several times in the past. I live in Australia so it will be a long wait to order another copy. Has anyone else had this problem?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Did a chat with them after I posted. To my surprise, they said it was their fault due to an issue at their fulfillment center. And they promised I'd have it tomorrow. But given that it still hasn't shipped and that the order page still looks exactly the same as before I complained, I'm not expecting it to actually arrive tomorrow.

They have this way of knowing which packages I need the most and which are inconsequential, and then always getting me the inconsequential ones on time and the important ones late or damaged.
Did you ever get your cable modem?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Pretty happy with the service Amazon.ca is using to deliver to our house. We are away today and they sent us this picture:

upload_2019-3-18_12-6-13.jpeg

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My Season sets of NYPD Blue Season 1-6 are scheduled tomorrow by 8 PM .. That must mean Amazon's Delivery Service is not delivering it

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I just returned from a tour of the Amazon fulfillment centre in Brampton Ontario (about 45 minutes from my home). The tour was free, and took about an hour. It is an absolutely gigantic facility, and only one of two, with its twin across the street.

The tour took us from the area where the goods enter the building until they are packaged and leave. Robots wiz huge shelves of items and conveyer belts equally wiz packages out to the loading docks.

Everyone there seems to be working so fast you can barely see them. Employees make very little choices themselves. The goods arrive and workers put them randomly on stacks of small cubby holes and the computer registers their locations.

The next set of people wait a few seconds for robots to move the appropriate stacks of products to them that the computer selects. They assemble orders and put them in yellow tubs on conveyer belts.

Packagers are given tubs with customer orders in them. The computer tells them what size box to use and a machine spits out the proper length of sticky tape to put it together. This is done and then the items are boxed with bubble packing. The box is taped shut and a UPC code label is printed out and stuck on.

The conveyer takes it to the next stage where it is weighed. Too heavy or two light for the order boxes are rejected and examined by hand. Just right have their UPC code scanned and an address label prints out and stuck on by machine.

The final conveyers take the boxes
and slide them automatically to the proper belts to the post office truck or courier service truck. Here workers as the guide says “play Tetris” with the boxes in the trucks.

It was a very interesting and instructive tour. I learned one abiding truth however! I NEVER want to work there!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did you ask them about why their computer chooses so amazingly poorly on packaging fragile items with no padding vs sets of towels with loads of bubble wrap in a sturdy box?

Why it's OK to put canned goods, 50lb dog food containers and 3 Bluray in the same package with no way to keep them from playing demo-derby all the way to the house.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Reading through this thread reminds me how lucky I've been with regard to Amazon, because the vast majority of the time things arrive promptly and are fine.

A couple weeks ago now there was an odd situation with The Art and Making of Aladdin by Emily Zelmer (which is an awesome book, by the way, if you're really excited for the new film.) I had pre-ordered it in mid-March in more than enough time to qualify for release date delivery, which should have been April 30.

Instead, it was delivered to the carrier (USPS) late on April 30 and was listed on their tracking as "available for pickup." It actually arrived as part of my mail on May 1. So I got it a day later than I should have. I assume this is Amazon's fault, since it wasn't until Monday afternoon that I got a shipping notice prior to the expected Tuesday delivery date.

The sky didn't fall or anything, but this to me isn't how Prime is supposed to work.

If they were still doing the one-month Prime extensions for missed deliveries, I would have asked for one for this in principle, although since they stopped doing that, I don't think I could have gotten a rep to give me much else so I decided to let it go and not say anything about the delay. But it was weird.

Fortunately, my subsequent Amazon pre-orders (for items released May 7 and May 14) have arrived on time as scheduled. So things appear to be back to normal and this was a one-time oddity (albeit with an item I was very anxious to get, but still.)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Reading through this thread reminds me how lucky I've been with regard to Amazon, because the vast majority of the time things arrive promptly and are fine.

A couple weeks ago now there was an odd situation with The Art and Making of Aladdin by Emily Zelmer (which is an awesome book, by the way, if you're really excited for the new film.) I had pre-ordered it in mid-March in more than enough time to qualify for release date delivery, which should have been April 30.

Instead, it was delivered to the carrier (USPS) late on April 30 and was listed on their tracking as "available for pickup." It actually arrived as part of my mail on May 1. So I got it a day later than I should have. I assume this is Amazon's fault, since it wasn't until Monday afternoon that I got a shipping notice prior to the expected Tuesday delivery date.

The sky didn't fall or anything, but this to me isn't how Prime is supposed to work.

If they were still doing the one-month Prime extensions for missed deliveries, I would have asked for one for this in principle, although since they stopped doing that, I don't think I could have gotten a rep to give me much else so I decided to let it go and not say anything about the delay. But it was weird.

Fortunately, my subsequent Amazon pre-orders (for items released May 7 and May 14) have arrived on time as scheduled. So things appear to be back to normal and this was a one-time oddity (albeit with an item I was very anxious to get, but still.)

A couple of weeks ago an Amazon rep gave me a $15 account credit for a missed delivery on a case for my new smartphone. I told the person via chat that I specifically selected that product because it was listed with a guaranteed one day delivery, and I wanted the case before heading out of town. The case was under $8, so they credited me about double my purchase price.

I usually don't even bother to contact Amazon if they miss the promised delivery by a day, because it's usually not an issue for me. However, this time I didn't get the case when I needed it and as promised, so I decided to see what Amazon would do.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A couple of weeks ago an Amazon rep gave me a $15 account credit for a missed delivery on a case for my new smartphone. I told the person via chat that I specifically selected that product because it was listed with a guaranteed one day delivery, and I wanted the case before heading out of town. The case was under $8, so they credited me about double my purchase price.

That is a really good result. You must have had a very accommodating rep.

I just placed an order for a book and a CD (two completely unrelated items, but I want both so put them into the same order.) Both are in stock now (i.e. not pre-orders.) It's late Tuesday night here as I'm typing this, so they probably won't ship the order until tomorrow. The default option that came up selected in checkout was for Prime delivery of both items on Friday.

That would have been fine with me, but then I noticed that it displayed an option to get the book on Thursday, for no additional charge, so I clicked that and the delivery date updated. This is effectively one-day shipping on the book, since I'm sure it won't go out before Wednesday, but they're not charging me extra for it.

The CD is still coming Friday, as there was no option to get it before then, and that's completely fine.. But I found it interesting that they could upgrade to get the book sooner without charging extra. Presumably this means they have the book at a local warehouse but will have to send the CD from farther away. Neither of these items are things I need urgently, but it will be interesting to see when they arrive.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That is a really good result. You must have had a very accommodating rep.

I just placed an order for a book and a CD (two completely unrelated items, but I want both so put them into the same order.) Both are in stock now (i.e. not pre-orders.) It's late Tuesday night here as I'm typing this, so they probably won't ship the order until tomorrow. The default option that came up selected in checkout was for Prime delivery of both items on Friday.

That would have been fine with me, but then I noticed that it displayed an option to get the book on Thursday, for no additional charge, so I clicked that and the delivery date updated. This is effectively one-day shipping on the boo, since I'm sure it won't go out before Wednesday, but they're not charging me extra for it.

The CD is still coming Friday, as there was no option to get it before then, and that's completely fine.. But I found it interesting that they could upgrade to get the book sooner without charging extra. Presumably this means they have the book at a local warehouse but will have to send the CD from farther away. Neither of these items are things I need urgently, but it will be interesting to see when they arrive.
The book is probably coming from a fulfillment center nearby. I've actually had a few packages arrive earlier than expected lately, which is a nice change of pace.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The book is probably coming from a fulfillment center nearby. I've actually had a few packages arrive earlier than expected lately, which is a nice change of pace.
A new fulfillment center was opened about 5 miles from our house a year or so ago. Since then, I have seen quite a few items with a one day shipping option at no extra cost. I usually opt for the "no rush" shipping option to get $1 digital credits, but still usually get those items within 2-3 days. I even received a "no rush" order in one day for a couple of Monoprice HDMI cables last week, which really surprised me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks