What's new

Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off! (2 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I can't exactly say this "pisses me off" but it is annoying.

Amazon, today, started collecting state sales tax for my state on all purchases - Amazon and MP vendors.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I can't exactly say this "pisses me off" but it is annoying.

Amazon, today, started collecting state sales tax for my state on all purchases - Amazon and MP vendors.
You’re in AR aren’t you? A new law went into effect, maybe on July 1 requiring out-of-state vendors to charge AR sales tax and also requiring Amazon to collect it. Tain’t the Big A’s fault.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You’re in AR aren’t you? A new law went into effect, maybe on July 1 requiring out-of-state vendors to charge AR sales tax and also requiring Amazon to collect it. Tain’t the Big A’s fault.
Yep. Guess I missed that law going into effect. And I discovered it's both state and local taxes they're collecting. It really makes me wish more local vendors sold what I purchase at Amazon (mostly media). I'd much rather the money stay local if possible.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Yep. Guess I missed that law going into effect. And I discovered it's both state and local taxes they're collecting. It really makes me wish more local vendors sold what I purchase at Amazon (mostly media). I'd much rather the money stay local if possible.
Well, technically the state and local taxes are still being collected...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well, technically the state and local taxes are still being collected...
Yes, but before today Amazon only collected state sales tax. I'd rather keep the whole purchase local if possible. With most local stores removing or drastically reducing their media sections it's quite difficult. There are a few other things I purchase from Amazon on occasion that I can't get locally but would purchase local if possible.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I’ve become paranoid about missing the availability of new 3D releases, so I pre-order as soon as they appear at whatever “Amazon”.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Yes, but before today Amazon only collected state sales tax. I'd rather keep the whole purchase local if possible. With most local stores removing or drastically reducing their media sections it's quite difficult. There are a few other things I purchase from Amazon on occasion that I can't get locally but would purchase local if possible.

I feel the same way. In a way it's like when malls/big boxes opened with chain stores and killed all the mom and pop stores. Sometimes it feels like yelling into the storm.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm just wondering if all the tax collected is actually making it back to the states, or if it's just bonus cash lining the pockets of some of these online stores. What is there to actually compel them to send the money to the state treasuries? I haven't heard anything from my state about any windfalls from all this new online sales tax revenue. If the business doesn't have any presence in the state for which they're collecting the tax, what's the incentive to forward the money?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Not really pissed, just perplexed. Amazon recently shipped the Jason Bourne Collection on Blu-ray in a padded envelope that sustained some minor crushing on one corner (nothing to be overly excited about), but then today I get a 2-pack of CR2025 tablet batteries in a #20 box with several pillow packs.
Amazon Batteries.jpg

Like I said, perplexed and confused. Why couldn't this be shipped in a padded envelope?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not really pissed, just perplexed. Amazon recently shipped the Jason Bourne Collection on Blu-ray in a padded envelope that sustained some minor crushing on one corner (nothing to be overly excited about), but then today I get a 2-pack of CR2025 tablet batteries in a #20 box with several pillow packs.
View attachment 60833
Like I said, perplexed and confused. Why couldn't this be shipped in a padded envelope?
You too, huh? I got a package of those a couple of weeks back in the same size box with a smallish board game arriving yesterday in a padded envelope. Fortunately there was no damage to the game box. Oh... and the batteries arrived safely as well.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just ordered T2 in 4K from Amazon. My choice of shipping was my Prime 2-day shipping arriving Monday, or my Amazon day of Monday and $1 off digital. So I chose the latter. I had no intention of buying this because it doesn’t contain the extended version, but for $6, Amazon made me buy it. :lol:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’ve placed a couple of orders recently from Amazon- the highlights are Klute Criterion in one order, and Lawrence Of Arabia (the November 2012 regular BluRay) in the other order. A question I have is I tried to order Twisted Sister Stay Hungry CD, but their website said they couldn’t ship it to my state (KY). I wonder if this is because of expletives in the content.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just ordered T2 in 4K from Amazon. My choice of shipping was my Prime 2-day shipping arriving Monday, or my Amazon day of Monday and $1 off digital. So I chose the latter. I had no intention of buying this because it doesn’t contain the extended version, but for $6, Amazon made me buy it. :lol:
I got a similar offer on some pre-shave lotion, getting the $1 credit for my Amazon Day on Tuesday versus regular Prime shipping to arrive the same day. That was a no-brainer choice.:laugh:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
View attachment 60833

Twice the same -- the best packaged items in the universe are those 10gm button batteries. Screw the $400 collectible fragile item

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I’ve placed a couple of orders recently from Amazon- the highlights are Klute Criterion in one order, and Lawrence Of Arabia (the November 2012 regular BluRay) in the other order. A question I have is I tried to order Twisted Sister Stay Hungry CD, but their website said they couldn’t ship it to my state (KY). I wonder if this is because of expletives in the content.

Direct from Amazon or one of the affiliated directly or FBA?
Amazon.ca has an allergy and for years seems to refuse to ship virtually any Blurays to Kentucky (haven't heard of other items).

It started well before the tariff titfortat. I never figured out if their was an address issue, a delivery issue, or some other problem. It's weird on the border towns -- they'll ship to Cincy, but not Covington, they'll ship to Coal Grove Ohio not Ashland KY (even though I think the CG mail may go through Ashland PL), Clarksville IN but not Louisville even with the same situation.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
There was something else I tried to order through Amazon a little while ago- it was a Sirius Stratus satellite radio. They couldn’t ship that to me either. I’ve never had a problem getting BluRays shipped from Amazon.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I mentioned this in the Roundup thread for this week just now, but thought it would be worth posting here as well.

My pre-order of Missing Link (which should arrive tomorrow) has not shipped yet, and I can still cancel it -- not that I want to cancel it, but the option exists, which means that it hasn't yet entered the process of being prepared for shipment. This seems very odd to me, since usually by the time I wake up on Monday morning, any pre-orders for the next day have shipped.

Then I remembered that Missing Link is being distributed on disc via Fox, which is now Disney. This begs the question: is this title also being affected by the ongoing Disney/Amazon pissing contest?

If it were a "Disney" Disney title, I wouldn't even try to order it from Amazon; I would just go to a store. Has anyone else had any issues pre-ordering Fox titles from Amazon in the last few months since they became a Disney subsidiary?

And, if anyone else is buying Missing Link, has yours shipped yet?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I mentioned this in the Roundup thread for this week just now, but thought it would be worth posting here as well.

My pre-order of Missing Link (which should arrive tomorrow) has not shipped yet, and I can still cancel it -- not that I want to cancel it, but the option exists, which means that it hasn't yet entered the process of being prepared for shipment. This seems very odd to me, since usually by the time I wake up on Monday morning, any pre-orders for the next day have shipped.

Then I remembered that Missing Link is being distributed on disc via Fox, which is now Disney. This begs the question: is this title also being affected by the ongoing Disney/Amazon pissing contest?

If it were a "Disney" Disney title, I wouldn't even try to order it from Amazon; I would just go to a store. Has anyone else had any issues pre-ordering Fox titles from Amazon in the last few months since they became a Disney subsidiary?

And, if anyone else is buying Missing Link, has yours shipped yet?
My 4K of Alita hasn't shipped yet, either, but Amazon still claims its due to arrive tomorrow on street date. The studios (especially Fox and Disney) may be forcing retailers like Amazon to hold shipments so that they do not arrive prior to street date. My more recent preorders with Amazon and even Best Buy have been arriving on street date instead of the Friday or Saturday before.

As for Fox and Disney, the home video divisions are still operating as separate entities at the moment and it may take several more months and possibly longer until they are consolidated.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My orders from Amazon.ca seem to suddenly arrive with no “shipping now” indicator. It will simply say “will arrive Tuesday by 8:00 p.m. and then say “out for delivery”. I also get a notice from a courier service saying I am #23 or whatever. This is happening now with the 3D of “Shazam” which is supposed to come tomorrow now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks