What's new

Alien trilogy coming to blu-ray?!... (1 Viewer)

Jim C

Second Unit
Originally Posted by merrick97

Cameron's comments make me as happy as any Aliens fan should ever be. He said it looks spectacular and that is all I needed to hear. Saying that it looks even better than it did in theater has me very excited.

It has Cameron's approval and that really should end all debates.

+1...no worries here

Daz_85

Agent
Real Name
Darren
I'm not worried either. He sounds very enthusiastic about it, so that's good enough for me. Sounds like it'll be a fresh experience.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Daz_85

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68820

Skip to 5:40, but here's what he says:

- Personally did complete remaster of Aliens Special Edition.

- Used same colourist as on Avatar.

- Looks spectacular. Completely de-noised and de-grained it, up-rezed it, colour-corrected it, end-to-end every frame.

- Looks amazing, better than it did originally in theatres. Looks sharper, clearer and more beautiful than it's ever looked.

Brilliant news

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not scared about this announcement one bit. I think James Cameron knows when detail is lost in DNR, because if he's supervising this new transfer, he sure as heck isn't looking at it on a 15" screen. Plus I think he can still see the difference between a human being and a living wax dummy.

Merrick Gearing

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Merrick
Its nice to see that people here on HTF understand that Aliens should look how Cameron always intended for it to look. On other forums people are already saying that Cameron is wrong because he used the bad words to describe the new look.

Cameron says it looks fantastic and even better than it did in the theaters. If that aint a reason to be excited about Aliens I dont know what is!

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of James Cameron working on this set, it sort of reminded me about one element about the Quadrilogy set that I wish was handled differently. The alternate cut introductions. It wasn't that they were bad (Ridley Scott's introduction looks bad and sounds chopped up), it just got a little redundant to be forced to watch these introductions every time you hit play on the discs menu. Sort of like those forced John Lasseter introductions to Hayao Miyazaki's movies.

I hope on this Anthology set, like how the Blade Runner set was handled, that the introductions are their own button and not a part of the starting sequence to the film. I don't like going to the scene selection just to start the movie by itself. I get that enough on every video ever online.

Merrick Gearing

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Merrick
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder

Well i personally am worried but we'll see soon enough.

You shouldn't be. Directors intent should be what everyone wants. The word from people in the know is that it looks fantastic (AFTER Cameron made his comments, but that unfortunately is not going to stop people from getting out their microscopes and dissecting every little detail once the film finally comes out.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Originally Posted by merrick97

You shouldn't be. Directors intent should be what everyone wants. The word from people in the know is that it looks fantastic (AFTER Cameron made his comments, but that unfortunately is not going to stop people from getting out their microscopes and dissecting every little detail once the film finally comes out.
I haven't seen a release yet which has removed all grain and not suffered from it, the tools aren't good enough. He says they removed all the grain not just some.

I listened to the interview, my impression was he totally denoised it, not totally degrained it.

Fingers crossed it will look good and more importantly ( to me ) that it will look like proper film.

Who are these people in the know. ? How can i be sure they aren't just trying to sell a product.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
At the same time, RAH has posted on numerous occasions about Lowry Digital's newest technology, which apparently has the ability to remove grain without robbing the image of detail. Count me as cautiously optimistic.

Merrick Gearing

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Merrick

I haven't seen a release yet which has removed all grain and not suffered from it, the tools aren't good enough. He says they removed all the grain not just some.

I listened to the interview, my impression was he totally denoised it, not totally degrained it.

Fingers crossed it will look good and more importantly ( to me ) that it will look like proper film.

Who are these people in the know. ? How can i be sure they aren't just trying to sell a product.
The people in the know (or who know people in the know) have the initials BH and RH.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

At the same time, RAH has posted on numerous occasions about Lowry Digital's newest technology, which apparently has the ability to remove grain without robbing the image of detail. Count me as cautiously optimistic.

Yeah but pardon me for saying this but film grain does provide a little texture to the image and not just detail ( although thats highly important ) i don't really want my old movies looking like they were shot with digital cameras.

Also if they have the tools to remove the grain without loss of detail then why the need to uprezz. ?

Jim C

Second Unit
This has just been classified by the BBFC today. Looks like the complete contents for disc 3 of the Anthology set.

Looks like the Alien 3 Deleted/Extended scenes listed in the press release will be similar to the Deleted Scenes marker that appeared on the Region 1 release of the Quad DVD set that Alex mentioned in a previous post. So no new material on this disc at least. Also note that the runtime for the Alien 3 special edition matches that of the previous edition on the Quad set, so no new changes there either. Damn shame on both counts, but at least there is the additional material in the Wreckage and Rage doc to look forward to, and an outside chance that some of the deleted footage will be presented there....who knows.

RUNTIME COMPONENT TITLE

[SIZE= 13px]N/A[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]UNTITLED (MAIN MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]N/A[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]SET UP (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]N/A[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]AUDIO (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]N/A[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]SUBTITLES (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]N/A[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]SEARCH (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]N/A[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]SCENES (32 IMAGES) (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]N/A[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]EXTRAS (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]N/A[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]DELETED SCENES INDEX (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:44:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]MU-TH-UR MODE TUTORIAL[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]01:54:52:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALIEN 3 - (1992 THEATRICAL VERSION WITH WEYLAND-YUTANI DATASTREAM)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]02:24:52:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALIEN 3 - (2003 SPECIAL EDITION VERSION WITH WEYLAND-YUTANI DATASTREAM)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:05:42:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]EXTERIOR: FURY 161/FIRST TOWN HALL MEETING (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:48:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ENTERING THE MORGUE (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:02:04:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]THE ABATTOIR (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:02:58:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]THE OX-BURSTER (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:02:57:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]CAFETERIA TALK (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:24:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]PRISON FAITH (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:23:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]RIPLEY AND CLEMENS INSIDE ASSEMBLY HALL (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:01:32:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]POST-COITAL (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:39:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]BOGG[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]RAINS AND GOLIC (DEL[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:03:04:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]CLEMENS MEETS WITH ANDREWS (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:26:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]BOGGS[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]RAINS AND GOLIC II ([/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:29:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]GOLIC IN CAFETERIA (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:13:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]GOLIC IN CAFETERIA II (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:20:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]GOLIC RANTS (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:02:24:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]CLEMENS' DEATH (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:39:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]DILLON PREACHES (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:01:32:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]BATTERY DUTY (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:05:46:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]FIRE AND AFTERMATH/RIPLEY AND AARON TALK (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:01:43:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]GOLIC ESCAPES (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:01:07:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]MESSAGE FROM THE COMPANY (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:01:36:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]GOLIC FREES THE ALIEN (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:01:13:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]RIPLEY TALKS TO DILLON (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:02:13:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]WHAT DO WE DO NOW? (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:02:10:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]TO THE FURNACE (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:47:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]RIPLEY GOES HUNTING (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:01:35:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]RIPLEY CONVINCING DILLON TO KILL HER (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:52:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]FURNACE MEETING (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:59:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]PREPARING FOR THE CHASE (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:32:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]WE'RE IMPROVISING (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:00:24:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]A SIMPLE PROCEDURE (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:01:43:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALTERNATE FINALE: SACRIFICE (DELETED SCENE)[/SIZE] http://www.bbfc.co.uk/GVF063729

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah but pardon me for saying this but film grain does provide a little texture to the image and not just detail ( although thats highly important ) i don't really want my old movies looking like they were shot with digital cameras.

If I may say so, shouldn't we be focused on what's going on in the image than how much grain there is in the film stock? I understand that there's a level of appreciation to how a film looks in the type of stock it's using, but at the same time, I don't want to be distracted by that element either. Make no mistake, I've seen the BluRays for Patton and the recent Predator, and they are both DISASTERS. That is not how a film should be remastered. I'm not saying that we should de-noise or de-grain all films as a result of this new technology. That would be disingenuous.

It's just that in this particular case, this is what Cameron wants for his transfer. He said it himself that the film stock they were using was heavy in the grain department and that it was discontinued the following year. If Cameron is using a method that doesn't remove any picture detail or turn our characters into wax models, I'm perfectly ok with that. I'm more into what's going on in the movie, not what level of grain there is. If the image suffers because of a lack of grain like it did on the Patton and the most recent Predator release, than I'll speak up. But since this is Cameron we're talking about who has an eye for detial, I seriously doubt that will be the issue here.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
From The Digital Bits today:

"As you might expect, all that talk of de-noising and de-graining has some fans freaked out that the release is going to suffer the same excessively DNR-ed fate as Fox's recent Predator: Ultimate Hunter Blu-ray. Here's the deal: Everyone we trust who was involved, and/or has actually SEEN the new Aliens HD master for Blu-ray, reports to us that the film looks terrific. To the degree that DNR was used, it was applied carefully and with a light hand, with an eye toward striking the proper balance between maintaining the detail and integrity of the image and the desire to reduce grain and address the deficiencies of the stock used at the time. There is apparently STILL grain left in the image, it's just no longer excessive or distracting. Plus, Cameron is no slouch when it comes to the presentation quality of his films on disc, and he approved this transfer and master. Look, there's a VERY big difference in digital mastering when the filmmakers are directly involved in the process, as opposed to when they're not. So we're told the disc looks great, we trust that it looks great and I'll personally work to directly confirm that. "

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

crumbs

Auditioning
Real Name
Signor
So there's no new deleted material from Alien3? Not even the original Newt Autopsy scene they spent 5 minutes discussing in the documentary?

What a shame. There's LOTS of material left from that film sitting in storage boxes, including the single most important scene David Fincher fought to the last breath to keep in the film, but wasn't able to. That being Ripley's final struggle with Bishop at the end of the film, an incredible acting moment for Sigourney. A 40+ second shot of Ripley's emotional torment deciding between turning herself over to Bishop, or sacrificing herself and the Alien within. It's the emotional climax of the entire *trilogy* and (for people who don't really care for Resurrection) the character Ripley. All she's fought for in the first three films comes down to that single moment, and Fincher has always said if there was one single scene he wish was still in the final cut, that was it. It was in the Workprint the SE was based off, too!

It's disappointing such a simple addition couldn't be made. Would have made a near-flawless Special Edition, if they were truly trying to release a version of the film 'as close to Fincher's original vision as possible.' So why is it missing the one scene he lamented losing more than any other? As far as I know, it's the only deleted scene he's discussed openly, so it must have had significance for him. Even as a bonus on the 5th or 6th discs would have been a really nice gesture for fans buying these films for the 3rd or 4th time.

child

Auditioning
Real Name
mahmood
hi. any one can helpme about yamaha dspz7 and onkyo 1008 which one good for home theater chucky

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Also if they have the tools to remove the grain without loss of detail then why the need to uprezz. ?

Hence, why I said "cautiously optimistic." ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks