What's new

Alien trilogy coming to blu-ray?!... (1 Viewer)

John CW

Supporting Actor
Quote Bill's Review:
If you have Image Entertainment's original Alien Saga DVD, you may wish to keep it. It includes a couple things not available on the Anthology or anywhere else, including 4 short Aliens production featurettes (Grunts in Space, Behind the Scenes and profile pieces on James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver) as well as a bit of uncut Sigourney Weaver screen test footage. Most of the same screen test footage is here on the Anthology, but it's been censored.

I think I saw somebody asking a while back what was censored from the screen tests. I think anyone who has watched the one with Ripley and Dallas can tell where the terrible and unnatural dialogue is taking the situation... Yes, Sigourney taking her top off. Not sure why this would be necessary for a screen test, but far be it for me to judge (or complain about seeing more of Sigourney Weaver). An uncensored version of the screen test (from the Alien Saga DVD) can be seen here:

The reason why this test fades to black on the Anthology version is probably because these "new" screen tests are actually different takes, done from different angles, with different dialogue. I think the angle included on the Anthology would have been a lot more, ahem, revealing, and potentially embarrassing for Weaver, than the one on the Alien Saga DVD, so it was censored.

Anyways...

This set is utterly fantastic and the Alien 3 doc is amazing, and well worth the wait, but it still left me with some questions! Who made the decision to change the "first victim" from an ox to a dog? I *much* preferred the former, as seen in the wonderful new "Special Edition" version, and so it seems it would have been against Fincher's wishes to change it to a dog... But Jon Landau says it was Fincher's idea to change it to a dog in the doc. (Not sure I trust Landau's memory, to be honest.)

Another thing was the "Double Y Chromosome" bit of pseudo-science. I'd have liked the doc to question where this came from, but I had to look it up: Apparently it's complete bunk based on some very dodgy science and exaggerated media reports from the 60s. More conclusive research done since then has shown that there are no increased hostility in men with two Y chromosomes (yes, it's a real condition affecting 1 in 1000 males) and really the filmmakers should have known better than to try and demonise people with a real condition. Or as the thing I read put it: "They should be ashamed of themselves."

Still, the new cut of the film is wonderful! I would actually consider myself a fan of Alien 3 now, something I did not before!

hdjim

Grip
Real Name
Joe Mama
Another thing was the "Double Y Chromosome" bit of pseudo-science. I'd have liked the doc to question where this came from, but I had to look it up: Apparently it's complete bunk based on some very dodgy science and exaggerated media reports from the 60s. More conclusive research done since then has shown that there are no increased hostility in men with two Y chromosomes (yes, it's a real condition affecting 1 in 1000 males) and really the filmmakers should have known better than to try and demonise people with a real condition. Or as the thing I read put it: "They should be ashamed of themselves."

Wow, seriously? How ridiculously PC can you get? That's just too much. No one who watches this film would demonize the hand full of people who have a double y chromosome. I'm fine with some political correctness, but not when it interferes with freedom of speech and art. Also this instance is completely harmless. First, it's impossible to know who has it. Secondly, its so uncommon that it really wouldn't matter regardless. I will also say I liked this part of the plot. It's interesting, and I think it also appeared in Cat O' Nine Tails. It doesn't have to be completely accurate either. It's called science fiction. Emphasis on the fiction part. A grain of truth is enough I think, and my suspension of disbelieve is suspended enough to believe that for context of this film.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by J-Syxx

Wow, seriously? How ridiculously PC can you get? That's just too much. No one who watches this film would demonize the hand full of people who have a double y chromosome. I'm fine with some political correctness, but not when it interferes with freedom of speech and art. Also this instance is completely harmless. First, it's impossible to know who has it. Secondly, its so uncommon that it really wouldn't matter regardless. I will also say I liked this part of the plot. It's interesting, and I think it also appeared in Cat O' Nine Tails. It doesn't have to be completely accurate either. It's called science fiction. Emphasis on the fiction part. A grain of truth is enough I think, and my suspension of disbelieve is suspended enough to believe that for context of this film.

Plus, it's a sci-fi movie. Who's to say that, in the future of the Alien movies, when genetic manipulation has become more common, that people who are genetically engineered and end up with double y chromosomes because of some problem in the process don't have some behavioral defect as a result of that problem?

John CW

Supporting Actor
Yes, I do take your point that people are not likely to be discriminated against because of having 'two Y Chromosomes'. The media reports back in the 60s that I mentioned did precisely what you're saying it's impossible to do, though. So much so that, 40 years later, a writer decides to use it in his film in order to show how barbaric the inmates of his prison colony are. (And of course you can test to see if someone has it. How else would they monitor their behaviour?) If your kid was diagnosed with that particular defect, and everyone believed that it meant that they would turned out to be child rapist because of a film, then you'd be rightly miffed. But I take your point that the chances are slight, so fair enough. It's still shoddy science, though.

Your point about science-fiction is just beyond comprehension, though. I don't even know where to begin...?

I supposed the easiest and quickest way is to say this:

> Fiorina "Fury" 161: An all-male penal colony inhabited by people with freckles.

The science part is important.

John CW

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by robbbb1138

Plus, it's a sci-fi movie. Who's to say that, in the future of the Alien movies, when genetic manipulation has become more common, that people who are genetically engineered and end up with double y chromosomes because of some problem in the process don't have some behavioral defect as a result of that problem?

Because that behavioural defect wouldn't be attributed to having Double Y Chromosomes... obviously?

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten
Jeunet is exaggerating a lot when saying that the Alien Resurrection BD looks like DVD. You can tell it's from a dated source, and some scenes do look soft, but most of the time, it looks like watching a theatrical release print. Not great, but detail enhancement over DVD is very apparent. It's also quite grainy and has no digital DVNR and sharpening look. Of course, it pales in comparision to the outstanding job done on Alien and Aliens.

The worst looking film in the set is Alien 3, which has quite some noise reduction baked into the master. You can also tell that the transfer was made on an old scanner, because highlights tend to overshoot, having a small dark ring around them, which resembles filming light objects with an HDTV videocam. It has an electronic look to it. Still bearable, some scenes do look acceptable, but in the end, disappointing.

But then again, as long as no version of the film is Fincher's vision, with Fincher refusing to participate in any way, we probably will never get Alien 3 looking as magnificient as Se7en. So, when talking about Alien 3, I mourn the fact that it's still an incomplete film more than having an old HD transfer on the Blu Ray.

The question is: is there any possibility that Fincher might get a close approximation of his vision out of all the materials being filmed during the shoot of Alien 3? So, let's say, if Charles finally manages to convince him to collaborate on a Final Cut, and every material being filmed is re-evaluated, is there a complete film in the cans?

John CW

Supporting Actor
Considering how Jeunet horribly interpreted Whedon's script, it's odd that he'd complain about it "looking like DVD"?? Is he the film's only fan? :)

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by John CW

Considering how Jeunet horribly interpreted Whedon's script, it's odd that he'd complain about it "looking like DVD"?? Is he the film's only fan? :)

I've heard a lot of comments from Whedon over the years on his script being mishandled, but I've never really made the conclusion if he has a valid point or if the director/producers made logical choices in where they diverged from his material. Is Whedon's final script online?

John CW

Supporting Actor
Whedon's final script is included on the DVD/Bluray set. It's probably online, too. I can absolutely confirm that there were some horrible decisions made independently from his script. The main "pirate" crew, for example, was supposed to be a really scary group of people -- much closer to a bunch of Cameron characters... Instead we got Winona Ryder, et al. Really bizarre choices like that.

On the flipside, the shot of the three aliens in the holding cell apparently "thinking"/"having an argument" was in Whedon's original script... and that's an almost unforgivably bad idea. The aliens are scary precisely because they're inscrutable. The moment you start adding personalities is the moment they're not as terrifying, because you can then reason with them. Still, a good director would have noticed this in editing and removed the shot.

Daz_85

Agent
Real Name
Darren
It's a shame Whedon didn't take part in the interviews for the Quadrilogy/Anthology, since the footage of him originates from the EPK of Resurrection from '97. As such, his talk is in "positive promotion mode" and not what he really thought...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Whedon's final script is included on the DVD/Bluray set. It's probably online, too. I can absolutely confirm that there were some horrible decisions made independently from his script. The main "pirate" crew, for example, was supposed to be a really scary group of people -- much closer to a bunch of Cameron characters... Instead we got Winona Ryder, et al. Really bizarre choices like that.

On the flipside, the shot of the three aliens in the holding cell apparently "thinking"/"having an argument" was in Whedon's original script... and that's an almost unforgivably bad idea. The aliens are scary precisely because they're inscrutable. The moment you start adding personalities is the moment they're not as terrifying, because you can then reason with them. Still, a good director would have noticed this in editing and removed the shot.

I saw that scene as the Aliens adapting to their environment and actually learning, to me that's a crucial scene in the film, maybe it could have been filmed better but i like that scene, i viewed it more along along the lines of the aliens being ruthless in killing one of their own to escape, it was kinda funny the reaction of the alien picked upon to die though.

John CW

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder

I saw that scene as the Aliens adapting to their environment and actually learning, to me that's a crucial scene in the film, maybe it could have been filmed better but i like that scene, i viewed it more along along the lines of the aliens being ruthless in killing one of their own to escape, it was kinda funny the reaction of the alien picked upon to die though.

Oh, I totally agree. The idea was perfect, and showed just how ruthless the aliens are... but the actual shot of them "discussing" it was a very bad idea, not to mention unintentionally funny. (We could have just seen the aftermath of their escape and heard someone say -- "My god, they killed one of their own in order to escape!" -- or some less risible dialogue.) And the actual shot was in Whedon's script.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Oh, I totally agree. The idea was perfect, and showed just how ruthless the aliens are... but the actual shot of them "discussing" it was a very bad idea, not to mention unintentionally funny. (We could have just seen the aftermath of their escape and heard someone say -- "My god, they killed one of their own in order to escape!" -- or some less risible dialogue.) And the actual shot was in Whedon's script.

[/QUOTE]

You are right but i wonder if it was intentional and supposed to be funny because i do always laugh at that scene.

John CW

Supporting Actor
You should not be laughing at the aliens in an alien movie. Lol. Something was really wrong with the film when the audience did that.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
That is the most memorable scene in the movie... that and the alien freeze-drying the human. The rest of the film is mostly a blur, but those moments are memorable.

At least the aliens' conversation did not have subtitles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks