What's new

Alien trilogy coming to blu-ray?!... (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I found this

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AVV272861

Work Information Director: James Cameron Cast includes: Sigourney Weaver, Carrie Henn, Michael Biehn, Lance Henriksen Genre(s): ADDITIONAL PRODUCTION MATERIAL Main Language: English Distributor: Twentieth Century Fox Home Ent. Classified: 13/09/2010 BBFC Reference: AVV272861
Remarks Including identifying information provided by the distributor;- Widescreen,Audio Commentary,Additional material,Special Features,Anthology,

Work Components This work is made up of a number of separate components. Note that since February 2001 the BBFC has measured each component separately, but older works may not have the exact details, only a list of titles.

Runtime Component title n/a UNTITLED (MAIN MENU) n/a SET UP (MENU) n/a AUDIO (MENU) n/a SUBTITLES (MENU) n/a SEARCH (MENU) n/a SCENES (MENU) n/a BOOKMARKS (MENU) n/a EXTRAS (MENU) n/a DELETED SCENES INDEX (MENU) n/a MU-TH-UR MODE (MENU) 00:02:17:00 (RIPLEY'S DAUGHTER) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:00:43:00 (VAN LEUWEN'S VERDICT) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:05:40:00 (THE COLONY/JORDENS' DISCOVERY) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:00:20:00 (BURKE'S ANSWER) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:01:46:00 (INT. SULACO) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:00:48:00 (HUDSON'S HUBRIS) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:00:43:00 (FALSE ALARM) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:01:00:00 (RIPLEY PAUSES) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:00:16:00 (THE SENTRY GUNS) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:01:26:00 (FIRE IN THE HOLE) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:00:12:00 (LAST LINE OF DEFENSE) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:00:30:00 (NEWT'S QUESTIONS) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:00:37:00 (HUDSON'S "ANT" THEORY) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:01:15:00 (THE ALIENS ATTACK) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:01:47:00 (THE ALIENS RETREAT) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 00:00:33:00 (FIRST NAME BASIS) (DELETED/EXTENDED SCENE) 02:17:14:00 ALIENS (1986 THEATRICAL FEATURE WITH 'WEYLAND-YUTANI DATASTREAM' TEXT TRACK) 02:34:26:00 ALIENS (1990 SPECIAL EDITION FEATURE WITH 'WEYLAND-YUTANI DATASTREAM' TEXT TRACK) 02:17:14:00 ALIENS (1986 THEATRICAL FEATURE WITH 2003 AUDIO COMMENTARY)

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Jim C

So, I really hope the original poster over at Blu-ray.com forums has made an error, as 21 minutes of new material doesn't seem to add up, based on Bill's previous posts.

The details on Blu-ray.com should not be of any concern. I've just received word from that the information posted on their forums is a technical error and not true information. At this point, the Wreckage and Rage Documentary is still in it's true uncut form with it's extra footage that was previously mentioned.

One of the other confusing details I was able to get clarification on was in regards to Bill's "an additional 30 minutes of ALL NEW material has been added to this documentary as well". This is indeed still the case, but it's accessible only in the "Enhancement Pods" feature, which does lengthen the documentary's running time.

So, as of Sept. 15th 2010, no cuts have been made.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Van Duyn

The details on Blu-ray.com should not be of any concern. I've just received word from that the information posted on their forums is a technical error and not true information. At this point, the Wreckage and Rage Documentary is still in it's true uncut form with it's extra footage that was previously mentioned.

One of the other confusing details I was able to get clarification on was in regards to Bill's "an additional 30 minutes of ALL NEW material has been added to this documentary as well". This is indeed still the case, but it's accessible only in the "Enhancement Pods" feature, which does lengthen the documentary's running time.

So, as of Sept. 15th 2010, no cuts have been made.

I want to marry this Blu-Ray set. And maybe Charlie, too.

(We'll figure something out.)

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
The uncut "Wreckage and Rage" documentary runs, as has been noted, approximately 21 minutes longer than the cutdown version. Additionally, as noted on this very page, there are approximately 73 minutes worth of new Enhancement Pods that are optionally bundled alongside the documentary. If my math is correct, that puts the entire run time of Disc 5's "Alien 3" documentary content at over 250 minutes. I hope that's more than sufficient.

Unless some truly covert shenanigans happened behind my back at the very last minute, the documentary is indeed untampered with. Fredrick Garvin has officially retired.

Merrick Gearing

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Merrick
Originally Posted by Charles de Lauzirika

The uncut "Wreckage and Rage" documentary runs, as has been noted, approximately 21 minutes longer than the cutdown version. Additionally, as noted on this very page, there are approximately 73 minutes worth of new Enhancement Pods that are optionally bundled alongside the documentary. If my math is correct, that puts the entire run time of Disc 5's "Alien 3" documentary content at over 250 minutes. I hope that's more than sufficient.

Unless some truly covert shenanigans happened behind my back at the very last minute, the documentary is indeed untampered with. Fredrick Garvin has officially retired.

Thank you Sir Charles. We appreciate your communication and most importantly the efforts in making this possible.

Btw, everyone talked about wanting to see coccooned Burke, but in your opinion do you expect people will disappointed when they actually see it? Will it be obvious why it was cut? (Other than the fact that there is NO WAY Burke would have been coccooned and already have had the facehugger removed so quickly.

hdjim

Grip
Real Name
Joe Mama
I feel kind of stupid posting this here do the obvious lack of information, but there has been some noise on certain forums about the geometry for the Alien disc being wrong on the bluray set and appearing stretched. I'm assuming it could just be an issue with the screenshot, but I would feel better about this if it could be debunked. Anyways, here's the link that caused the discussion. First it loads a screenshot from D-Theater release, and if you mouse over it, it shows an image that's supposed to be from the Blu-ray:

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/78783/picture:0

You can see the circle on the helmet in the first shot appears more like oval in the second one. This could just be an issue with badly taken screenshots though. I would just like to know for sure.

Jim C

Second Unit
Disc 5 Enhancement Pods passed by the BBFC today:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AVV272851

[SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]UNTITLED (MAIN MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]DATASEARCH (MENUS)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]MU-TH-UR MODE (MENUS)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALIEN (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALIEN - THE BEAST WITHIN: MAKING ALIEN (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALIEN - ENHANCEMENT PODS (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALIENS (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALIENS - SUPERIOR FIREPOWER: MAKING ALIENS (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALIENS - ENHANCEMENT PODS (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALIEN 3 (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALIEN 3 - WRECKAGE AND RAGE: MAKING ALIEN 3 (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALIEN 3 - ENHANCEMENT PODS (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALIEN RESURRECTION (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALIEN RESURRECTION - ONE STEP BEYOND: MAKING ALIEN RESURRECTION (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]ALIEN RESURRECTION - ENHANCEMENT PODS (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]n/a[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]SET UP (MENU)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]01:19:43:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px](ALIEN - ENHANCEMENT PODS) (PLAY ALL)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]00:58:31:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px](ALIENS - ENHANCEMENT PODS) (PLAY ALL)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]01:14:03:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px](ALIEN 3 - ENHANCEMENT PODS) (PLAY ALL)[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px]01:15:17:00[/SIZE] [SIZE= 13px](ALIEN RESURRECTION - ENHANCEMENT PODS) (PLAY ALL)[/SIZE]

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Originally Posted by J-Syxx

I feel kind of stupid posting this here do the obvious lack of information, but there has been some noise on certain forums about the geometry for the Alien disc being wrong on the bluray set and appearing stretched. I'm assuming it could just be an issue with the screenshot, but I would feel better about this if it could be debunked. Anyways, here's the link that caused the discussion. First it loads a screenshot from D-Theater release, and if you mouse over it, it shows an image that's supposed to be from the Blu-ray:

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/78783/picture:0

You can see the circle on the helmet in the first shot appears more like oval in the second one. This could just be an issue with badly taken screenshots though. I would just like to know for sure.

You will find the same framing differences with many older releases and when new film scans are made they can be different, indeed the recent King Kong screencap comparison i did between the new blu ray and 2005 dvd shows the exact same thing, i expect the new blu ray to be the definitive edition since it's been supervised by Ridley Scott, also i feel its a result of slightly zooming in on the scene which can cause it as you can look at the framing and see differences, at least thats how it looks to me.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi Charlie

Absolutely loved your interview in the latest issue of UK DVD & Blu Ray Review magazine.

I am particularly pleased with the isolated scores for Alien & Aliens especially how Jerry Goldsmith & James Horner wanted the score to appear in the film. I love those scores so really looking forward to that.

I never understood the concept of MU-TH-UR in the press release, yet sounds so intriguing so another feature I am looking forward to.

I will probably spend days exploring the boxset.

Would you be able to expand on your comments at the end of the article where you talk about "if only I could just do one more little ...."

Which title are you referring to ?

Thanks for a great read.

Oscar

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Hi Oscar. Thanks, but unfortunately, I don't have a copy of that article, so I can't really comment. I don't even remember doing an interview for Alien Anthology. There was a Fox international press day I was invited to a year ago, and I did a little sneak peek of MU-TH-UR Mode for those in attendance, and was allowed to spill the beans on some things, but I don't recall any specifics. Seems like a thousand centuries ago.

However, I will say that "if only I could just do one more little..." would apply to any project I've ever worked on. I have never walked away (or been torn away) from a project fully satisfied.

Daz_85

Agent
Real Name
Darren
Can't wait to "explore" the set... only a few more weeks to go.

Controversial question..... were you ever asked, or ever been interested in going through the archives of the 2 AVP films Charlie? I'm sure there is quite a bit of extra material threre, and even though they are not particuarly popular, I wouldn't mind seeing expanded releases of these.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator

However, I will say that "if only I could just do one more little..." would apply to any project I've ever worked on. I have never walked away (or been torn away) from a project fully satisfied.

I hope you're not overly dissatisfied because a lot of what didn't make it into the set that you tried to include is finally here. The "Wreckage and Rage" documentary in it's uncut (Plus extra!) form, the isolated score to Alien and all the other movies and the Burke Cocoon sequence. I'm dying to find out how James Cameron let you get away with putting that on the set. Cause as you stated in the digital bits book "I tried!".

I'm just worried if you deem me worthy of this set.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member

Hi Oscar. Thanks, but unfortunately, I don't have a copy of that article, so I can't really comment. I don't even remember doing an interview for Alien Anthology. There was a Fox international press day I was invited to a year ago, and I did a little sneak peek of MU-TH-UR Mode for those in attendance, and was allowed to spill the beans on some things, but I don't recall any specifics. Seems like a thousand centuries ago.

Hi

It was from a Fox event that was held last year.

I could always scan the article for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks