What's new

Alien Quadrilogy-Is there any difference betwwen US and Japan? (1 Viewer)

Tan Ng

Stunt Coordinator
Alien Quadrilogy will be out in Japan on April 30. Does any1 know if there is any difference between the new set from Japan like better DTS audio and better picture than US version??

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
The biggest difference between the R1 and the R2JAP edition is that there are dts tracks for all the movies on the japanese edition, including Aliens and Alien 3. And the packing is better for the japanese edition, it has the European "book" style instead of the R1 foldout packing that easily breaks.

Regarding the transfers it probably will be the same as the R1 edition, so don´t expect a new transfer for Aliens. Whether the dts tracks will be fullrate or not CDJAPAN had no info about this the last time I asked them, but I´m pretty sure they will be halfrate and no new mix will be used for the dts track on Alien and Alien - Resurrection.

But Alien and Aliens is also available seperate with very nice digipacking and, of course, dts sound. I bought the swedish edition of Alien and the japanese edition of Aliens. And don´t really care for the last two.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Will Aliens and Alien3 lose any material for the inclusion of the DTS track?

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
This is what CDJAPAN´s site says:

"The Alien Quadrilogy's nine-disc boxed set. Discs 1 & 2 contain Alien (1979) theatrical version and 2003 director's cut with extras. Discs 3 & 4 contain Aliens (1986) theatrical version and 1991 special edition with extras. Discs 5 & 6 contain Alien 3 (1992) theatrical version and 2003 special edition with extras. Discs 7 & 8 contain Alien Resurrection (1997) theatrical version and 2003 special edition with extras. Disc 9 is a Bonus disc containing extras. Contains DTS audio tracks (main features only)."

Isn´t most of the extramaterial on separate discs, except for the audio commentaries? So they probably wouldn´t have to remove any of the essential extras to make room for the dts track. You could always ask CDJAPAN about more info.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
That head was sold out a long time ago. It took like two days before Amazon had sold the entire supply. I haven´t seen them anywhere else since then.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Because it's cost is outweighed by it's value to him, obviously.

-Dave

John C

Stunt Coordinator
These have bid out on ebay as presells for a little over $600. Pretty simple math there!

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
I think almost every country gets a Alien head now, there is a Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian and now a English head. And it´s getting cheaper. The English head is "only" around $140. Considering that you get four movies, a lot of extras and a very nice packing, it´s really a bargain. But it will almost certainly only have DTS tracks on Alien and Alien - Resurrection.

http://www2.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/display...;-1&sku=363926

Les Fowler

Grip
I have the region 1 Quadrilogy and the Japanese Aliens in DTS. I played both at the same time and flipped back and forth to compare. The DTS was noticely better but to my disapointment the video on the Japanese version seemed a little bit grainier and a little bit less saturated. It was miner but still ticked me off as I want ALIEN 3 in DTS also. Although my Pioneer ELITE DV-45A has more video adjustments than my Shinco DVP-315 i dont think the players were a factor... coments please... Les

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
The more grains it has, the more difficult it is to preserve the "grainy look". Lossy compression tends to lose the colours that we cannot see, and the higher the compression, the more it will try to band together like colours and lose intricate grainy detail.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Be aware that the Japanese editions do not include the "aliens" theatrical cut, only the expanded version... Same goes for "alien 3". Only the expanded edition is included.

Dugger

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks