What's new

Can Someone Who Has a Copy of ALIEN (1979) on 4K Ultra HD Confirm Something for Me... (1 Viewer)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Because I didn't pick this up when it first came out a few years back, I was stuck with getting Disney's repackaged version of this title (dubbed the "Ultimate Collector's Edition" as compared to Fox's original "40th Anniversary"), which looks like this:

1711054034542.png

I seem to be having an issue with the disc's "resume playback" authoring, or what I assume to be an authoring problem, wherein the disc won't remember where it left off from the last position, even though there IS a prompt baked into it to do so. In other words, when I press stop after watching it and go back the next day to resume playback, I get the prompt that says "Resume: Yes/No," but it doesn't actually play back from the last position, instead either going back to the "Warning" startup menus or going directly to the setup menu itself. It's the WEIRDEST thing, and what's even stranger is that it sometimes doesn't let me select Yes/No, instead choosing for itself.

When I first got the disc, I could SWEAR that I was able to resume from the last stopped position -- but as I watched it a few times, it began doing this thing where it wouldn't let me resume, or it resumes in a place I DIDN'T leave off.

Can anyone who owns this in 4K confirm if their disc behaves like this, as well, or not? I am unsure if the 40th Anniversary edition would be any different in this regard; from what I understand, these are the same discs but packaged differently in Disney's "Ultimate Collector's Edition" variant.

Has anyone experienced any such quirks with Alien in 4K? Just want to be sure it's not my Panasonic UHD BD player...

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I have the 40th ann edition and it always comes up with the resume screen, and goes back to exactly where I last watched.

I sample scenes more than I actually watch the film full through anymore, so I've put it in quite often and gotten this correct resumption every time.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I have the 40th ann edition and it always comes up with the resume screen, and goes back to exactly where I last watched.

I sample scenes more than I actually watch the film full through anymore, so I've put it in quite often and gotten this correct resumption every time.
Thanks Denham; I appreciate you getting back to me.

That is disheartening to hear -- I guess I did get a faulty disc. I suppose it may have something to do with the way Disney repackaged these (maybe they took faulty Fox discs and slapped this "Ultimate Collector's Edition" moniker on it?) or maybe it's the fact I got this from Walmart.com, and this stock of discs are just crap. I don't know.

Thanks for your response, though; if you can give it a few days and test it again for me, I'd appreciate it -- as I stated originally, this resume playback issue didn't occur with the first watch or second watch....it seemed to start after I watched it a few times.

It may also have something to do with my player; maybe there's something about this disc my Panasonic UB9000 doesn't like. I am running the HDR10+ layer when I watch the disc, so maybe that's screwing something up? Just a thought...

What player are you using?

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
It may also have something to do with my player; maybe there's something about this disc my Panasonic UB9000 doesn't like. I am running the HDR10+ layer when I watch the disc, so maybe that's screwing something up? Just a thought...

Try going into your player's setting menus and clearing Persistent Memory, assuming that's an option on this model. That sometimes helps with issues like this.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Try going into your player's setting menus and clearing Persistent Memory, assuming that's an option on this model. That sometimes helps with issues like this.
Thanks Josh -- I would have definitely tried that from the beginning if I still had an Oppo (or was using my Cambridge clone), but unfortunately, the Panasonics have no such function. All memory storage gets done on an external USB piece (which I don't use) with these players.

Does it sound like a faulty disc? Nothing else goes wrong when watching it -- just the resume playback thing. Could it have anything to do with the fact that I'm running the disc's HDR10+ layer, and it's somehow malfunctioning?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Unplugging your player for a short time will also reset its memory.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Unplugging your player for a short time will also reset its memory.
Thanks Dick -- I may try that. I simply don't understand what's going on; sometimes the resume prompt works and sometimes it doesn't. I tried watching about half of the Director's Cut last night and I'll see if it has any issues playing back from the position I left off (I have been testing it primarily with the Theatrical Cut).

I suspect I may have gotten one of Disney's reissues from a bad batch.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think it's kind of random whether discs will "resume". I seem to have some that do, some that don't. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason outside of the preference of whoever authored the disc.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I think it's kind of random whether discs will "resume". I seem to have some that do, some that don't. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason outside of the preference of whoever authored the disc.
That's not the issue here, though -- these Alien discs WERE authored to kick the RESUME: YES/NO prompt up upon the next viewing of the disc, but mine seems to be wonky in that the prompt WILL pop up when I play it the following day, but sometimes it won't wait for me to select yes or no (so it just jumps to the startup menu or FBI warnings by itself) or it won't remember the point it was last left off. It seems to me this is just a defective disc in this regard, but there are no other issues during playback.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Thanks for the feedback, Dalek.

I tried picking up from where I left off last night running the Director's Cut, and it remembered the spot -- so maybe there's something wrong with the Theatrical Cut layer on my disc.

Nothing else I can think of....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks