What's new

Adjustable Hole Saw/who makes a good/nice one? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I finally broke my last hole saw building a big ass sub for my brothers garage.

=====>
Who makes a drill based hole saw thats adjustable from say 1" to 4"'s and is a tuff little mother?
=====>

Cutting out circles in 3/4" MDF braces seems the fastest using a hole saw but is tuff on them. The best one I've used so far was a Black & Decker, belive it or not.
Uses a drill bit for the start of the hole and is depth adjustable. Also the size of your cut out hole itself can be adjusted ~{and this is what I'm looking for}~!!!!

The 3 cutting teeth on the BD hole saw stayed sharp for a long time. It had a set of three v-type teeth that could be filed sharp again if needed. Never had to sharpen them even after cutting probably 70-plus easy three inch 3/4" MDF holes in braces. This one would only open to cut a 3.25" hole tho and shrink down to cut as small as 1" hole.

I went back to where I bought this one 2-3 years ago, and they "didn't" have that one anymore, nor one that was similar.:angry:
I much prefered it to using the router due to much less flying dust and it was just plain "allot faster and cut just as clean".

=====>
So what are you using that is ~{hole size adjustable out to at last 3"-min}~, 4" or larger hole would be nice but needs to adjust down also in hole size cut out. Nees to cut clean and no problems getting the piece cut out off the cut out saw. Also that you think works well and lasts, "if it's pricey"???
=====>

A link to the product/hole saw would be nice if possible, & or, where to find it store wise. Lowes/HD/Ace/Etc...

Thanks much
Geoff

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks Darren

Yes always use the D-press, but ever now and then a hole will need to be bored with a good ol hand drill & press if theres room.

I'll check it out next time I get to the big store... /Sucks as it's 40 plus miles to the big stores...

Darn boonies anyway, that is when it comes to getting tools in a hurry.

Edit:
What did that run down at HD and did they have the extra cutting blade their also available?
E-2
Just noticed it's got a 1/2" shank, excellent. Much tougher I'd imagine than my broken 3/8" shank cutter I would think...

Regards
Geoff

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
No I'll be going to the city in a few days and look at that (well most likely but it) and some other things.

On a sub building vacation for awhile as I've built or finished up 5-subs in the last 4 to 5 weeks.

On break for awhile. Aha...:D

Geoff
Edit: BUY it!
Man watched Finding Nemo to many times. Thats a, ah, ah, a but/t...lol Nemos first day of school boat scene at the reefs edge.

Darren_T

Second Unit
A word of advice if you haven't used that type of hole cutter before. Use VERY low RPM... they cut fine at higher RPM but will burn very easily and dull the blade. If you go slow and steady the dust will be minimal and it won't burn. I found out the hard way and had to sharpen mine several times until I got the RPM right. I went as low as my press would go. It seems slow but it cuts rather well at the slow speed.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
The cutter blade part itself, is very simalar to the ones on the BD circle cutter I had, aside that it had 3 and they where fixed. A center tightening nut around the shank allowed you to open the cutter up to the size you wanted.

Same thing applied with that one, slow speed and steady pressure. Most times I'd cut a little over half way threw and then flip the MDF over and slide the bit into the center hole now there, and cut from the other side. That way you never had to worry about a chip out and ended up with a super clean hole.. ....

Thanks for the heads up, tho!

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
I bought a cheap set of hole saws 1"-5" at one of those bargan places.

You use the same center bit assembly, just replace the outside circular part for different sizes.
The center bit part lasted just long enough to get through
all the 4" holes (36 cause I added a third brace) for the bracing on my AA tempest.
All I would have to do is sharpen the bit, though.

No problem as entire set was like $6.00......

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Been their done that, the hole saw multi set at the cheap tool outlet...

If one is only going to build one maybe 2 average sized subs or speaks, they might be ok.

But good wood/metal tools that get used frequently are like a good woman.. They last nearly:b (usualy a life time), when "taken care of" and are of "top quality to start with"..;)

Cheers:D
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks