What's new

A big thank you (SVS arrival today) (1 Viewer)

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
Well, my wait is finally over. The SVS 16-46PC from the great SVS giveaway arrived on my doorstep today. My 2nd prize was actually the 16-46CS, but I paid the difference to get the powered variety. I'm a frustrated music fanatic who has been unhappy with the boominess of a bandpass sub since before I knew any better (and trusted a sales hack). After a few hours of playing, I'm amazed at how much faster, tighter, and more musical this sub is. Now I have to listen to my whole collection again.

I ran a quick calibration with VE and SPL and threw in TPM DVD for the pod race of course. Again, very different. Not quite as loud and boomy of course, but very precise and low as heck. I look forward to renting a few of the better bass DVDs over the weekend. As requested, I will post a full review once I get a lot more time with it. Anyway, thanks to SVS and HTF for this opportunity to get out of the bandpass swamp!

Chris

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Congrats Chris. I'm looking forward to your review of the 16-46PC.

Nice way to start off the new year, huh?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Thanks for the update Chris.

Even if it was a semi-free sub we want to know it hit the mark. I think you are already on to what makes the SVS do different. It's not just that they can go loud (big whoop, lots of subs go LOUD), it's that they remain CLEAN while going loud and LOW. So few folks have heard, low, clean, loud that this sensation often takes them by surprise.

You only thought you knew what a subwoofer was supposed to sound like.

Looking forward to your review after you've had more time to experience movies all over again.

Ron

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
My new dual 25-31CS's and the Phantom Menace THX scene took my breath away. Actually it startled me because I wasn't expecting it. I can't wait to try out "The Haunting" and "Toy Story/Toy Story 2".
Lots-O-Fun with your 16-46!!!! :D
(There is no mud in these subs!)

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
SVS-Ron,

I really enjoyed the article on Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity of your DIY sub building experience. Really neat. I had no idea you were in the military.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Thanks Chris.

That sub is just about the perfect match for bottom trawling movies like TPM. The fact it's shockingly different from your old sub is no surprise. Give it some more time and calbibrate things carefully (I like a nice boost over the mains, but you do have to keep things reasonable when you start cranking it!). In a few days you will wonder how long it's going to take you to watch every DVD in your collection again. Because, as you noted, that's exactly what you'll start doing. Looking forward to your extended comments.

Mark,

That "Secrets" DIY article is how Tom and I started collaborating! Once we crunched the numbers, we realized a viable web based subwoofer business was possible. Now and again, Tom wishes we'd never dug out the calculator. Too late now, it's become our lives. ;^)

As for the military, only when I'm not working on SVS. For now it's called juggling two jobs. Life got much more complicated on 11 SEP but we're managing at SVS nonetheless. The Army has me two more years then it's exclusively SVS madness!

Sadly the tasks of the Army side of my life reminded me of how precious the discussions we have here, and riches we all have (never mind how big or expensive your HT). Just the idea of starting a business and interacting with (generally) like-minded customers is a gift that I never take for granted any more.

Ron

Art C

Agent
Ron

If you were to combine your two jobs

you could make allot of people happy.

Just think of all the guys who want an

SVS sub but can't because of the wife factor

you could camouflage the subs like

Army fatigues.

ART

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks