What's new

6.1 Channel and 7 Speakers+sub? (1 Viewer)

Evan R

Auditioning
Hi,

I recently moved and gave my nephew the receiver that I used for my garage. It's an inexpensive JVC 6.1 channel receiver, and he ended up with 7 speakers + sub,(I don't recognize the brand but I'm sure they were inexpensive, something a young teenager can afford.) He said they only sold them in pairs for the fronts, surrounds and rears. Anyway, he asked me a question that I can't begin to answer. He want's to know if he can use 2 speakers for the rear surround but there's only 1 output from the receiver of course. Is that possible and how would how would he accomplish it? Thanks for the help! :cool:

Evan...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Tell him to just hook up the 6 speakers and be done with it. The world won’t spin off its axis if he doesn’t use each and every one of them. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it's preferred to use a 7.1 array even off a 6.1 receiver. Wire the two rear speakers in parallel and you're good to go. That's what I do.

Evan R

Auditioning
OK Chris, sounds good, here I go, Ok, almost there, uh, OK, wait a minute. What's this wire it in parallel you speak of? I take it I wire from one speaker to the next. Negative to negative. Positive to Positive. Is this right or do I have it bas-ackwords? Your sending me into new territory here, broadening my horizons, as it were... Plus, I'm going to have to explain all this over the phone! Thanks! :cool:

Evan...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No, that’s correct.

What Chris forgot to mention is that the receiver needs to be capable of handling a 4-ohm load if you’re going to run two speakers in parallel. Otherwise it could burn out that channel, especially if he likes to push the system hard.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Evan R

Auditioning
Thanks for the info. Don't have a clue about the ohms. And yes, he lets it rip, sometimes even when his parents ARE home... Part of the fun of giving him the receiver, Ha! My sister-in-law loves me! I think I'll tell him to get the model number and call JVC to see if it'll handle 4-ohms. If so, we'll hook up that other speaker. Anyway, now I know how to do it. Thanks you guys. Good stuff... :cool:

Evan...

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You go receiver + to one speaker's +, then that speakers - to the other speaker's +, then speaker 2's - to receiver -.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks