What's new

480p direct-view CRT's - perfect for most people? (1 Viewer)

I've been thinking. In my experience no LCD or Plasma or DLP or projection-type system has been able to match the overall visual quality I get with good direct-view CRTs. It's the same with computer monitors and televisions. I'm no expert but I know that's been my experience so far. It's always the colors and black-levels that look so much better to me on direct-view CRTs.

Now, I like most people think HD is pretty spectacular. But I don't watch TV. Yes, I know this may seem strange to many of you. At first it was a budget thing. But after a year and a half, I really don't care any more. I'm a movie guy. I do like a lot of those HBO shows like Sopranos and Oz, but I can watch those on DVD. Which brings me to 480p.

I'm going to buy a new TV. It must be able to do 480p. I love DVDs. I love my Xbox. 480p is clearly where it is at. I have no use for 720p or 1080i. I know there are a few Xbox games that support those HD resolutions, but it's only like a couple. And of course there's that D-VHS medium. But I'm not going back to a tape-based medium with rewinding and all that garbage.

I am looking forward to HD-DVD. I hope it is a 1080p format. Interlaced video really needs to die. Whenever that comes around, and we have to replace all our current DVDs, only then will I get a HD set.

So I'm going around the world to get to it, but here's my question. What TV models meet these requirements? -

1)480p

2)16x9-enhanced squeeze mode

3)Direct-view flat screen CRT

4)27 inch screen or less

5)4x3 aspect ratio

The only model I've found that meets my requirements is a Samsung model. It looks nice, but I'd like some other options and just general opinions on what I've said here. Thanks.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If you don't watch TV and are a movie guy, why on earth would you want a 4:3? Why not go with a 16:9 direct view CRT?

that's a good question. It's really just a space thing. I'd prefer a 16x9 display if it was small enough (comparable to a 27 inch 4x3 set). And cost is always an issue too. I also can't have something that ways much over 100 pounds.

Thanks for the suggestion Eric. That Samsung (model # TXN2670WHF) is sweet. It weighs under 100 pounds and is widescreen! Price is just about right too. I think I'll be getting one.

Any other companies make HD direct-view CRTs this size?

One thing that bothers me is that mostly all my video games will have to be windowboxed. Oh well, maybe all Xbox2 and PS3 games will be 16x9 enhanced. That would be killer.

Hey ya'll. I'm still debating whether to get the Samsung TXN2670WHF. Why haven't any other manufacturers made small 16x9 sets? I wonder.

I was gonna make a new thread. But this question kinda fits in with this topic.

16x9 enhanced DVDs - how do they work? My understanding is that the resolution of DVD video is 720x480. When i do a screen grab in PowerDVD, that's the rez. Now, that rez has a 1.50 aspect ratio, right? Yeah, so you can see how i'm not really understanding exactly what is happening here.

Also, the Strange Days DVD isn't enhanced! That sucks! And most Xbox games aren't enhanced! That sucks too. Thank you.

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator

That's the pixel resolution of all DVDs, whether standard or 16x9 enhanced (aka anamorphic). However, anamorphic widescreen DVDs (like anamorphic film) carry a "squeezed" picture that is designed to be stretched horizontally when it's displayed. Widescreen TVs perform this stretching, and 4x3 TVs with "16x9 enhanced" mode squeeze the picture vertically so it's the correct aspect ratio.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I recommend the Zenith C27V36. I've had this set for about 2 weeks and I love it. You can find it between $600-650. Dvds looks AMAZING in 480p and it will also do 1080i and 720p(?). Nice set with ALOT of features!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks