What's new

20th Century Fox's CinemaScope films (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
F

Like a few others difficult to get hold of or too expensive.
In what way is it difficult to get hold of? Twilight Time discs are available from only two websites: Twilight Time themselves and Screen Archives. If you go to either of those, you will have no difficulty in finding any Twilight Time disc that has not yet sold out. They both currently have a sale and many discs are available at low-ish prices.

Reactions: PMF

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Just searched amazon US, fr, and U.K. for Twilight Time éditions and the prices are ridiculous. Journey to the Centre Of the Earth and Thé Blu Max over €100! Hardly any under €50! Many titles I’d like for my collection. Some of the prices for these Blu Rays makes me think I should do copies of some of the great quality broadcast HDs I have and go into the bootlegging biz! :) at least I know they are great editions. The Egyptian for example is exceptionally good.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
By the way, Twilight Time is releasing "Three Coins in the Fountain" on April 16th.
Just checked my Blu Ray copy that came off a BBC transmission in 2017 and it looks gorgeous. Hope the Blu Ray release is as good. But it’s good to know I won’t need it!
Just did an extensive search for Twilight Time Blu Rays of Fox CinemaScope movies. The most expensive are Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing at €132 and High Time, a film I’d love a copy of, at €110. Journey to the Centre Of The Earth is listed at €107.66 when my UK copy which is pretty good, cost me £14.99!
Mr Hobbs Takes A Vacation that I got a French release of with a gorgeous high definition restoration cost me under €8 while the Twilight Time version is listed at €65.97! Someone’s making a lot of money unfairly!

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Just remembering how from the first time I saw a Twentieth Century Fox movie with the CinemaScope extension and music I became hooked on the logo and would go and see every film that was advertised as being a 20th Century Fox Cinemscope production. In the 50s and early 60s in south London where I grew up cinemas would run the programmes non stop from around mid day through to 11 at night. (It took a long time until the advantages Hitchcock’s stand with separate performances for Psycho were seen as beneficial and became the norm). So I’d see the feature then sit through the promos and adverts and any support running with it, no matter how boring that might have been, so that I could see the logo again before I left! Why did it have this effect on me I still don’t know, nor why I still love it! I‘ve even downloaded an HD copy from YouTube to watch whenever I feel like it on my giant screen 4K television!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just checked my Blu Ray copy that came off a BBC transmission in 2017 and it looks gorgeous. Hope the Blu Ray release is as good. But it’s good to know I won’t need it!
Just did an extensive search for Twilight Time Blu Rays of Fox CinemaScope movies. The most expensive are Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing at €132 and High Time, a film I’d love a copy of, at €110. Journey to the Centre Of The Earth is listed at €107.66 when my UK copy which is pretty good, cost me £14.99!
Mr Hobbs Takes A Vacation that I got a French release of with a gorgeous high definition restoration cost me under €8 while the Twilight Time version is listed at €65.97! Someone’s making a lot of money unfairly!

Why unfairly? If someone is willing to shell out €65.97 for a copy of TT's Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation, how is that unfair? It's a free market and no one is being forced to pay it. Perhaps they want the isolated Henry Mancini underscore which is only available on the TT release.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Don’t believe in a free market that rips people off to such an extent. A very American idea a free market that triple or quadruples the list price because of the original limited number release making it hard for real fans to be able to afford to collect them.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Twilight Time website has some 20th Century Fox CinemaScope movies I’ve never heard of like No Down Payment with Joanne Woodward, Blu Denim with Tuesday Weld, and The Best of Everything, with Hope Lange, on Blu Ray. The wonderful imo Broken Lance is on offer for $9.95! I managed to get a copy of The Young Lions before it disappeared from the list. On amazon for $53.79 it cost me $29.95. State Fair, April Love, Hell and High Water, À Man Called Peter, Peyton Place, all still available at 29.95.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
The Blu-ray is quite nice.
Just took delivery and watched it. Not bad at all, good clean print, though it has a bit of what one reviewer has described as a De Luxe Color yellow bias. Good to see a slightly podgy Jesus, sorry Jeffrey Hunter, an under rated actor whose career ended tragically and too young.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just a bump to alert those who didn't know that this 11 year old thread which has recently seen a surge of new activity has just been moved over from the DVD forum to the blu ray forum.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just a bump to alert those who didn't know that this 11 year old thread which has recently seen a surge of new activity has just been moved over from the DVD forum to the blu ray forum.
Those that are following this thread should have been notified just as you were as this thread's OP.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Just searched amazon US, fr, and U.K. for Twilight Time éditions and the prices are ridiculous. Journey to the Centre Of the Earth and Thé Blu Max over €100! Hardly any under €50! Many titles I’d like for my collection. Some of the prices for these Blu Rays makes me think I should do copies of some of the great quality broadcast HDs I have and go into the bootlegging biz! :) at least I know they are great editions. The Egyptian for example is exceptionally good.

You can still buy the French Blu-ray of The Blue Max (Le Crépuscule des aigles), it's multi region & the same transfer as the TT release, & not expensive (it's the one I have)

…& Fox are releasing Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (multi-region) in Germany at the end of May, & only 11 euros.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0...mp=1638&creative=6742&creativeASIN=B07LDCZ4H1

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
You can still buy the French Blu-ray of The Blue Max (Le Crépuscule des aigles), it's multi region & the same transfer as the TT release, & not expensive (it's the one I have)

…& Fox are releasing Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (multi-region) in Germany at the end of May, & only 11 euros.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0...mp=1638&creative=6742&creativeASIN=B07LDCZ4H1

Sorry if you misunderstood but I have great copies of The Blu Max and Journey To The Centre of The earth, but was just mentioning the expensive copies on sale on amazon.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Sorry if you misunderstood but I have great copies of The Blu Max and Journey To The Centre of The earth, but was just mentioning the expensive copies on sale on amazon.

Oh right. But anyone looking for a film that's sold out should check the various Amazons around the world before paying loads of money with ebay, many of them are region free (you can usually find out). Fox are releasing a lot of catalogue Blu-rays in Germany.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
State Fair, April Love, Hell and High Water, À Man Called Peter, Peyton Place, all still available at 29.95.

I bought State Fair, April Love and Peyton Place for $9.95 or $14.95 each when they had a sale. I always wait for a sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks