1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

20th Century Fox's CinemaScope films

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Thomas T, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Samuel Fuller's CHINA GATE came out on VHS via Republic, which means that its dvd fate is in the dubious hands of Lionsgate. By the by, the five Collins' films are sumptuous and it's an extremely entertaining group of films--especially for CinemaScope buffsa. One of the included docs shows Joan Collins' screentest for the b-&-w CinemaScoped THE WAYWARD BUS, and it looks terrific. A rights issue about the Steinbeck property caused it to be dropped from the Mansfield boxset.

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Thanks, Bob. I've added Sanctuary and if I've forgotten any other "important" Fox CinemaScope titles, I'd appreciate the 411.

3. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe

But never letterboxed -- or was it, and I missed it?

4. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham

I'm pretty sure it was, but it was years ago. I remember making a VHS copy for my brother who is a Lincoln buff and a history teacher

5. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Whenever I've seen GOODBYE CHARLIE on TV, it's carried a Warner Bros. TV logo at the end. So I suspect that this film might have reverted to WB, though I suppose Fox still owns the intellectual property, since they did attempt a sitcom version of this story in the late '80's.

6. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston

Don't know about that one. Fox did a nice preservation on the title two or three years ago. It looks stunning.

Perhaps the video rights are owned by someone else?

7. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

my suspicion is that FATE IS THE HUNTER had some literary "rights" issues with the Gann estate.

8. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

Prince of Players is one of the films that Fox has never shown letterboxed.

Others of this group inclue Untamed, Womans World, April Love, the Best Things in Life are free.

9. Rod J

Rod J Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Rodney Jewett

A anamorphic widescreen transfer DVD is also available in France titled "Derrière le miroir" (in English with removable French subtitles).

gets a little silly? just because James Mason's character wants to sacrifice his son like Abraham and when reminded that an alternative sacrifice was offered, speaks the immortal line G-d was wrong!?

10. Rod J

Rod J Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Rodney Jewett

Back in my wayward (late) youth hanging out at the video store days (early 1980s), "April Love" was probably the most requested 1950s movie not available on video - it sure beat "Girl Can't Help It" and the perpetually re-released "South Pacific" to mention a couple of Fox titles from the same period.

It was nominated for "best music, original song" Academy Award. Other films have been issued on DVD by Fox based on a nomination.

Fox did use Pat Boone for commentary on the 1962 "State Fair" and Shirley Jones has appeared on several featurettes, so Fox knows they're around for commentary.

21 year old Shirley Jones was never hotter than in this movie.

Whether or not this is included in a "Pat Boone box" this movie should be paired with the original 1944 "Home in Indiana" (also in color) with Jeanne Crain, Walter Brennan, Charlotte Greenwood, and Lon McCallister. And since Shirley Jones worked with Charlotte Greenwood, she could provide commentary on this movie too..

I wonder if Fox is afraid that this type of package will sell too well..

11. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

I think they could do CinemaScope genre boxes, say a bunch of musicals, a bunch of Westerns, melodramas etc. What I don't understand is when Fox spend a lot of money restoring or preserving a film, but then don't release it on DVD, even in a limited run. Surely releasing it on DVD is the only way they will get any money back?

12. Sammy-G

Sammy-G Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to add a title to the list - Rapture (1965) starring Patricia Gozzi, Dean Stockwell and Melvyn Douglas. At least, I think it belongs on the list - I saw it first on FMC anyway.

There was a post about a year ago on the IMDB that a DVD was in the works, but I haven't seen or heard anything since. Definitely one of my most wanted titles.

13. Simon Howson

Hulu.com is showing Beloved Infidel, a Henry King, Gregory Peck, F. Scott Fitzgerald show that isn't out on DVD:

Hulu - Beloved Infidel

Unfortunately it can only be accessed by U.S. users, so I'm not sure if it is properly letterboxed, or if the quality is any good.

14. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Actor

Mark

Picture quality is decent, however the image changes from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1 following the credit sequence.

15. Simon Howson

Oh that sucks, sorry for recommending it.

16. kingfish

kingfish Screenwriter

Paul Pisano
    I am also hoping for China Gate. My other fox favorites are Destination Gobi and Armored Command. I am wondering if they were filmed in widescreen or not?

17. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

My guess is that LionsGate owns CHINA GATE. A non-lbxed CHINA GATE came out on VHS under the Republic label. ARMORED COMMAND was an Allied Artists release and it might be owned by WB.

18. ptb2017fr

ptb2017fr Stunt Coordinator

Paul Bale
    I’m trying to collect as many of the Fox CinemaScope movies On Blu Ray. It’s not easy and some companies are even chopping the searchlights CinemaScope ident off the front! How dare they.
    I’m looking for A CERTAIN SMILE; BENEATH THE 12MILE REEF: A DOG OF FLANDERS:HELL AND HIGH WATER:THE GIRL IN THE RED VELVET SWING:THE PROUD ONES:A FAREWELL TO ARMS:THE DEEP BLUE SEA:THE PROUD ONES,THE GIRL CANT HELP IT,THE RIVERS EDGE,ISLAND IN THE SUN,SEA WIFE,PEYTON PLACE,STOPOVER TOKYO,THE YOUNG LIOND,THE BARBARIAN AND THE GEISHA,STATE FAIR,WARLOCK,BELOVED INFIDEL,FROM THE TERRACE,ESTHER AND THE KING,THE MILLIONAIRESS,THE FIERCEST HEART.FRANCIS OF ASSISSI,TENDER IN THE NIGHT,SATAN NEVER SLEEPS, STATE FAIR,MR HOBBS TAKES A VACATION,

19. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    Here's a good place to start ... http://www.screenarchives.com/

& https://www.twilighttimemovies.com/

20. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp