What's new

20th Century Fox's CinemaScope films (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm glad this thread got "bumped" as I'd forgotten about it. Very interesting to note that 26 films listed in post No. 1 have now been released on Blu-ray disc. We are making progress even if not as quickly as we'd like.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm glad this thread got "bumped" as I'd forgotten about it. Very interesting to note that 25 films listed in post No. 1 have now been released on Blu-ray disc. We are making progress even if not as quickly as we'd like.
We certainly have as more than 25% of them have been released on Blu-ray or DVD.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
We certainly have as more than 25% of them have been released on Blu-ray or DVD.

I've gone back and highlighted in red the Fox CinemaScope films that have since come out on DVD and/or blu ray. I have not included titles that have been put out in non anamorphic wide screen transfers (like some of the Fox MODs). I'm hopeful that a few more will see the light of day.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that in the next ten years there will be no DVD/highdef DVD - just video on demand - and in which case we will all pay a monthly fee to view unlimited amounts of films. Cable stations like AMC and TCM will vanish and those obscure films will show up on the video on demand film menus.

Well fortunately your crystal ball wasn't in working order :) 10 years have come and gone and physical media, battered and no longer the belle of the ball, is still hanging on. With boutique labels like Twilight Time, Kino Lorber, Criterion and Shout Factory, this is a great time for lovers of "classic" cinema and catalog films.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've gone back and highlighted in red the Fox CinemaScope films that have since come out on DVD and/or blu ray. I have not included titles that have been put out in non anamorphic wide screen transfers (like some of the Fox MODs). I'm hopeful that a few more will see the light of day.
Thomas, you also have highlighted only films released in Region 1/Zone A. Several of the other titles have come out on DVD in various European countries.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, you also have highlighted only films released in Region 1/Zone A. Several of the other titles have come out on DVD in various European countries.

Yes, I realize that and I actually have some of them. I've gone back and highlighted the non R1 releases in blue along with country of origin.

Last edited:

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Just got A High Wind in Jamaica, The Barbarian and the Geisha, and From Thé Terrace in French released Blu Rays, the first à bit disappointing, the others pretty good. A pity the Paul Newman isn’t as good a restoration as Long Hot Summer which looks gorgeous on Blu Ray.
Hell and High Water and the Hepburn and Tracy Desk Set anyone?

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Just got A High Wind in Jamaica, The Barbarian and the Geisha, and From Thé Terrace in French released Blu Rays, the first à bit disappointing, the others pretty good. A pity the Paul Newman isn’t as good a restoration as Long Hot Summer which looks gorgeous on Blu Ray.
Hell and High Water and the Hepburn and Tracy Desk Set anyone?
There's nothing wrong with the Twilight Time Blu-ray disc of From The Terrace. Twilight Time have also released Hell And High Water.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
My From the Terrace is the French release probably from the same source, and pretty good. Just not as good as The Long Hot Summer or North to Alaska, or The Comancheros, the last in my view the best Blu Ray from Fox to date. All three I mention are official Fox restorations. When Fox do them the quality is terrific. As are the Criterion releases, though few so far. But a lot seem to have got under the wire and not got the attention they deserve. As I said before, many of the Fox CinemaScope movies from the 50s and 60s have been broadcast on television using wonderful High Definition copies. The Bravados for example. And on French télévision recently they showed The Egyptian using an HD of the best quality I’ve ever seen. But some of the releases in Spain have not been that good, some even cutting off the Fox CinemaScope ident from the start. Boy on A Dolphin being one such. The French release of Desiree is just awful!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
My From the Terrace is the French release probably from the same source, and pretty good. Just not as good as The Long Hot Summer or North to Alaska, or The Comancheros, the last in my view the best Blu Ray from Fox to date. All three I mention are official Fox restorations. When Fox do them the quality is terrific. As are the Criterion releases, though few so far. But a lot seem to have got under the wire and not got the attention they deserve. As I said before, many of the Fox CinemaScope movies from the 50s and 60s have been broadcast on television using wonderful High Definition copies. The Bravados for example. And on French télévision recently they showed The Egyptian using an HD of the best quality I’ve ever seen. But some of the releases in Spain have not been that good, some even cutting off the Fox CinemaScope ident from the start. Boy on A Dolphin being one such. The French release of Desiree is just awful!
Blu-ray releases from Spain are bootlegs! Don't touch them with a disinfected bargepole! Of course they're substandard! Of course they butcher the Fox logo! They're bootleg products from career bootleggers! AKA professional criminals.

Reactions: PMF

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
The Desk Set doesn’t show up on any of my searches, and some like Beneath The 12 Mile Reef that seem to have been limited edition releases on BluRay are so expensive on amazon to make me live without it in my collection!

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
I have the German release of Esther And The King and it is NOT pan and scan but anamorphic wide screen and it looks quite nice.
Then amazon needs to stop printing every damn review they get. And it’s only on DVD. Being Joan Collins I’d have thought it worth a Blu Ray restoration. I’ve The Girl on thé Red Velvet Swing, French release and not bad. They did a great restoration for Richard Egan’s 300 Spartans, though probably because of the 300 movie.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Blu-ray releases from Spain are bootlegs! Don't touch them with a disinfected bargepole! Of course they're substandard! Of course they butcher the Fox logo! They're bootleg products from career bootleggers! AKA professional criminals.

Don’t know where the copy of Desiree came from but it looks like vhs quality! Even bootleggers should be ashamed, though in spite of the cast, i find it a rather dull movie.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The Twilight Time disc of Desiree does not look like a VHS tape. Bootleggers have no sense of shame.

Reactions: PMF

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The Desk Set doesn’t show up on any of my searches, and some like Beneath The 12 Mile Reef that seem to have been limited edition releases on BluRay are so expensive on amazon to make me live without it in my collection!
The Blu-ray disc of Beneath The 12 Mile Reef is currently available for $19.95 plus shipping from Screen Archives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks