What's new

Actors and Authors: A Quiz for film buffs! (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I thought this might be kind of fun (or maybe not :)) for film buffs and quiz fans. Some are easy, some not so easy. This is how it works. Below you'll find 25 groups of actors. What they have in common is that they all appeared in a movie (no TV) based on a novel, short story or play by the same author. Your mission should you choose to play is to identify the author in common and the films in which they appeared. Here's an example:

1. Bing Crosby, Celeste Holm, Gregory Peck, Tony Randall, Raquel Welch.

The correct answer would be:

1. MARK TWAIN: Bing Crosby (A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court), Celeste Holm (Tom Sawyer), Gregory Peck (Million Pound Note/Man With A Million), Tony Randall (Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn), Raquel Welch (Crossed Swords/Prince And The Pauper).

Got it? Have fun.

1. Mia Farrow, Glynis Johns, Arthur Kennedy, Tony Randall, Sylvia Sidney.
2. WILLIAM FAULKNER: Yul Brynner THE SOUND AND THE FURY, James Franco AS I LAY DYING, Angela Lansbury THE LONG HOT SUMMER, Dorothy Malone TARNISHED ANGELS, Steve McQueen THE REIVERS. Partially solved by Robin 9.
3. Matt Dillon, Bob Hope, Nicole Kidman, Laurence Olivier, Joanne Woodward.
4. Gary Cooper, Laurence Harvey, Myrna Loy, Suzanne Pleshette, Frank Sinatra.
5. Anne Baxter, Richard Burton, Fredric March, Joel McCrea, Barbara Stanwyck.
6. Claire Bloom, George Hamilton, Marcello Mastroianni, Toshiro Mifune, Luise Rainer.
7. Jean Paul Belmondo, Helena Bonham Carter, Yvonne De Carlo, Anthony Quinn, Uma Thurman.
8. Cate Blanchett, Joan Fontaine, Roger Moore, Jack Nicholson, Shelley Winters,
9. Cyd Charisse, Clark Gable, Elliott Gould, William Holden, Claire Trevor.
10. Richard Burton, Bette Davis, Joan Fontaine, Charles Laughton, Rod Taylor.
11. Joan Collins, James Franco, Robert Mitchum, Nick Nolte, Spencer Tracy.
12. Daniel Day Lewis, Hugh Grant, Alec Guinness, Helen Mirren, Vanessa Redgrave.
13. Susan Hayward, Deborah Kerr, Nicole Kidman, Lee Remick, Jessica Tandy.
14. Linda Darnell, Rhonda Fleming, Joan Fontaine, Jack Nicholson, Loretta Young.
15. Charles Bronson, Rock Hudson, David Niven, Vanessa Redgrave, Richard Widmark.
16. Sue Lyon, George Peppard, Sidney Poitier, Robert Taylor, Raquel Welch.
17. Dirk Bogarde, Albert Finney, Anne Hathaway, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jean Simmons.
18. Marlon Brando, Charlton Heston, Van Johnson, Anthony Quinn, Mickey Rooney.
19. Jeff Bridges, Juliette Lewis, Paul Newman, Anthony Perkins, Debra Winger.
20. June Allyson, Joan Bennett, Alain Delon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Rex Harrison.
21. Sterling Hayden, Rita Moreno, Charlotte Rampling, Oliver Reed, Claire Trevor.
22. Angie Dickinson, Rock Hudson, Audie Murphy, Patricia Neal, George C. Scott.
23. Vera Miles, Robert Mitchum, Nick Nolte, Jane Russell, Stella Stevens.
24. Charles Boyer, Sandra Dee, Susan Hayward, Claude Rains, Frank Sinatra.
25. Joan Collins, Ronald Colman, Van Heflin, Hedy Lamarr, Peter Lorre.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A good game but one I'm unqualified to play (except by cheating and working through information on IMDB). Other than with a few very famous films, I really have no idea which films come from which novels/plays. I do know that in 2) both Yul Brynner (The Sound And The Fury) and Steve McQueen (The Reivers) made films adapted from William Faulkner, so that will be my one uneducated guess..

UPDATE: And Dorothy Malone was in The Tarnished Angels, also from Faulkner.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
A good game but one I'm unqualified to play (except by cheating and working through information on IMDB). Other than with a few very famous films, I really have no idea which films come from which novels/plays. I do know that in 2) both Yul Brynner (The Sound And The Fury) and Steve McQueen (The Reivers) made films adapted from William Faulkner, so that will be my one uneducated guess..

Robin, if you need to do "research" to get the correct response, go for it. Isn't that we did in school?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It occurs to me that one way of approaching this is via authors from whose books several films have been made. I'm thinking of Luke Short, Earnest Hemingway, Cornell Woolrich, Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, Earnest Haycox, John O'Hara etc.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

UPDATE: And Dorothy Malone was in The Tarnished Angels, also from Faulkner.

Now, you're cooking with gas! :)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've just realised 14) is probably James Cain because Rhonda Fleming was In Slightly Scarlet which a loose adaptation of Love's Lovely Counterfeit, Joan Fontaine was in Serenade and Jack Nicholson was in The Postman Always Rings Twice.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I've just realised 14) is probably James Cain because Rhonda Fleming was In Slightly Scarlet which a loose adaptation of Love's Lovely Counterfeit, Joan Fontaine was in Serenade and Jack Nicholson was in The Postman Always Rings Twice.

I'm not saying you're wrong (or right) :D but until all five are answered, I can't credit you with a correct answer. Perhaps some kind soul can help you out.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

To show you, I'm not completely heartless and you are trying, see #2. But that's a one time thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks