What's new

20th Century Fox's CinemaScope films (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven't watched my DVD of The Virgin Queen in a few years, but I don't remember it being as bright as those samples from iTunes and Vudu. Maybe I'm just misremembering it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ITunes is not full CinemaScope
Vudu is in full Cinemascope I purchased Virgin Queen only once.
View attachment 78370 View attachment 78372
On iTunes, "The Virgin Queen" is not even widescreen and is windowboxed on my ATV. In regard to "The Longest Day" you're correct about the aspect ratios between the two streaming services. What's weird is that iTunes had the incorrect aspect ratio, but has all of the bonus material while Vudu has the correct aspect ratio, but not all of the bonus material.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Although it's a Warner title, THE COWBOYS on iTunes has been cropped to 1.85 and it looks terrible. THE COWBOYS is a panavision film and is shown the correct aspect ration on Vudu and Amazon, Movies Anywhere.

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
But is i
As regards THE VIRGIN QUEEN, it is a part of the BETTE DAVIS CINEMA CLASSICS COLLECTION, along with four
other titles. The color and clarity look quite striking to me, and as best I can tell its the uncut widescreen Cinemascope
picture. I'm posting this only because I don't see it mentioned elsewhere.
But on Blu Ray?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This whole conversation about iTunes not having the best transfers has prompted me to take a closer look at the Movies Anywhere app on my Apple TV unit, and I'm finding MA has some superior stuff to iTunes. As you know Disney owns MA and as well as the 20th Century Fox catalog so it's not surprising that the MA app tends to have the latest transfers for Disney films as well as 20th Century Fox titles. Here's what I've found so far:

The Man with the Gray Flannel Suit, D-Day the Sixth of June, and The Proud Ones, all have 5.1 audio on MA and only 2.0 stereo on iTunes.
Smith! and Emil and the Detectives both have newer 1.85:1 transfers on MA and older 1.78:1 transfers on iTunes
Darby O'Gill and the Little People has newer 1.66:1 on MA and older 1.33:1 on iTunes.
The Happiest Millionaire has complete 169 minute (with intermission/entr'acte) iTunes has 166 minutes without intermission.
Chain Reaction has 1.85 aspect ratio and 5.1 audio on MA, and 1.78:1 and 2.0 stereo on iTunes.

While iTunes is usually my go-to for watching most of my movies, the Movies Anywhere app is giving it a run for its money.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
This whole conversation about iTunes not having the best transfers has prompted me to take a closer look at the Movies Anywhere app on my Apple TV unit, and I'm finding MA has some superior stuff to iTunes. As you know Disney owns MA and as well as the 20th Century Fox catalog so it's not surprising that the MA app tends to have the latest transfers for Disney films as well as 20th Century Fox titles. Here's what I've found so far:

The Man with the Gray Flannel Suit, D-Day the Sixth of June, and The Proud Ones, all have 5.1 audio on MA and only 2.0 stereo on iTunes.
Smith! and Emil and the Detectives both have newer 1.85:1 transfers on MA and older 1.78:1 transfers on iTunes
Darby O'Gill and the Little People has newer 1.66:1 on MA and older 1.33:1 on iTunes.
The Happiest Millionaire has complete 169 minute (with intermission/entr'acte) iTunes has 166 minutes without intermission.
Chain Reaction has 1.85 aspect ratio and 5.1 audio on MA, and 1.78:1 and 2.0 stereo on iTunes.

While iTunes is usually my go-to for watching most of my movies, the Movies Anywhere app is giving it a run for its money.
That is good information. I forgot to mention that HATFUL OF RAIN in is SD on iTunes....HD widescreen on MA.

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Anybody know anything about the Gregory Peck movie Night People? It’s poster says 20th Century Fox Cinemascope Picture but isn’t in any of the lists I’ve seen of that catalo.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Anybody know anything about the Gregory Peck movie Night People? It’s poster says 20th Century Fox Cinemascope Picture but isn’t in any of the lists I’ve seen of that catalo.

Night People is indeed a CinemaScope production and is available on blu ray from Kino Lorber in its original aspect ratio.

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Night People is indeed a CinemaScope production and is available on blu ray from Kino Lorber in its original aspect ratio.
Any good? Always liked Gregory Peck. Worked with him on movie he made in England in 1969. Really nice man.

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Does anybody have a comprehensive list of 20th Century Fox Cinemascope movies with the Cinemascope ident available on Blu Ray, no matter where, USA, UK, Spain, France, Japan, anywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks