What's new

20th Century Fox's CinemaScope films (1 Viewer)

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Thomas’ #1 post has a list. It simply needs updating.
My request was for Blu Rays releases. The list you quote is of the titles of the movies and what and where DVDs have been released, or which have had no release at all.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
My request was for Blu Rays releases. The list you quote is of the titles of the movies and what and where DVDs have been released, or which have had no release at all.

If the title of the film is followed by a ***, it indicates a blu ray release in either R1 or R2. Some may well be out of print by now. Any additions or updates to the list are welcome.

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Just watched Stopover Tokyo from 1957 and typical of many of the movies Fox made during this period, colourful Cinemascope travelogues. Robert Wagner at his most wooden stars in a plot about Edmond O’Brian wanting to assassinate the Cultural Commissioner and disrupt Japanese American relations, but for who it’s never made clear. Joan Collins provides the glamour though it’s a pretty thankless task, while a little Japanese girl who our two stars take care of is supposed to provide sentimental value but becomes annoying due to over exposure. We get to see a lot of Japan, but the story is totally lacking in suspense and tension, and the pacing make the 100 minutes really drag. When Fox took Cinemascope on exotic locations with a good story this kind of movie worked really well, look at Love Is A Many Splendored Thing, Three Coins In A Fountain, or The Roots of a Heaven for example, but instead of stopping over in Tokyo they should have kept going!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Just watched Stopover Tokyo from 1957 and typical of many of the movies Fox made during this period, colourful Cinemascope travelogues. Robert Wagner at his most wooden stars in a plot about Edmond O’Brian wanting to assassinate the Cultural Commissioner and disrupt Japanese American relations, but for who it’s never made clear. Joan Collins provides the glamour though it’s a pretty thankless task, while a little Japanese girl who our two stars take care of is supposed to provide sentimental value but becomes annoying due to over exposure. We get to see a lot of Japan, but the story is totally lacking in suspense and tension, and the pacing make the 100 minutes really drag. When Fox took Cinemascope on exotic locations with a good story this kind of movie worked really well, look at Love Is A Many Splendored Thing, Three Coins In A Fountain, or The Roots of a Heaven for example, but instead of stopping over in Tokyo they should have kept going!
I too have always found this film very disappointing.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Stopover Tokyo is based on a best selling novel by John P. Marquand featuring his creation, the Japanese detective Mr. Moto (played by Peter Lorre in several Fox films of the 1930s). For the 1957 film, the character of Mr. Moto has been eliminated from the film.

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
From my point of view the best Blu Ray of 20th Century Fox Cinemascope movie I have in my collection is the R1 release of The Comancheros, which simply looks gorgeous. This is followed by the French Tender Is The Night, The Long Hot Summer, and the beautiful Black and White The Innocents.
Any opinions?

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Yes, I was going to make The Egyptian my choice as the best transfer.
Ive not seen that one, only the not very good European release, Swedish or Finnish I think it was, and the beautiful transfer that was shown on French tv. Maybe that was from the same source as the TT one.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
The Egyptian had two HD transfers done.
The film's negs, etc were saved in the mid 70's when there was a possibility of a theatrical reissue on the back of the first major Tut exhibition so that's probably why the elements were is such good condition.
Do yourself a favour and try and seek one out.

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
The film's negs, etc were saved in the mid 70's when there was a possibility of a theatrical reissue on the back of the first major Tut exhibition so that's probably why the elements were is such good condition.
TT Blu Rays that are out of print are very expensive to get hold of. And as I said the transfer shown on French tv last year was gorgeous anyway so I’ll make do with that until a cheap TT copy turns up. If one ever does.
i still think The Comancheros will take some beating though.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

Yeah, that's what I read somewhere, & the best transfer is the one that TT released. I'm so happy that I bit the bullet & bought it, & I'd say it's the best looking Fox CinemaScope Blu-ray that I own (if only Cleopatra looked as good). It looks like it was done before Fox started their "house look": super smoothed out picture, looking far too cool with blue shadows, but somehow okay flesh tones (sorry to get a bit controversial there).

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Just dug out my two Blu Rays. The French release by Sidonis could have used the same transfer as TT as it’s rather good, though not quite as awesome as the one broadcast on tv. The Scandinavian release in comparison is a disgrace. Just found a TT copy on amazon for the bargain price of $236! some mark up that! I won’t be buying it.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Just dug out my two Blu Rays. The French release by Sidonis could have used the same transfer as TT as it’s rather good, though not quite as awesome as the one broadcast on tv. The Scandinavian release in comparison is a disgrace. Just found a TT copy on amazon for the bargain price of $236! some mark up that! I won’t be buying it.

I missed out on the Twilight Time so I purchased the Japanese release. It's gorgeous!

Cleopatra wouldn't qualify anyway; it was filmed in Todd-AO, not CInemascope.

I was hoping Cleopatra would get a 4K UHD release, but now that it's with Disney I don't think that will happen. I suppose there's a chance a 4K might be released to digital platforms.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Yeah, I know, but...if only Cleopatra looked as good as The Egyptian :)

IMHO Cleopatra looks much better than The Egyptian. The 70mm frame 1.912" x .870" is larger than 35mm 839" x .700".

large_the_egyptian_blu-ray_10.jpg

1601306422846.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks