20th Century Fox's CinemaScope films

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Sorry to derail the thread with talk of Cleopatra. I had hoped that TT would release Seven Cities Of Gold (1955) & The Story Of Ruth (1960), not that I'm at all religious (quite the opposite), but I did enjoy it when I saw it aged 11 & I am a sucker for any ancient world film.

Reactions: Ed Lachmann

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Sorry to derail the thread with talk of Cleopatra. I had hoped that TT would release Seven Cities Of Gold (1955) & The Story Of Ruth (1960), not that I'm at all religious (quite the opposite), but I did enjoy it when I saw it aged 11 & I am a sucker for any ancient world film.
Watched Story of Ruth last week, though not on Blu Ray. Not a bad movie though very much in the 60s Biblical epic style. Would be great to see it polished up in HD!

Reactions: Ed Lachmann

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
The way I figure it, I don't need to believe in Biblical theology to enjoy a good Biblical epic film any more than I need to believe in elves and wizards to enjoy The Lord of the Rings.

Reactions: ptb2020

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
I was referring to the reported 5.5 hour version that Mankiewicz originally screened for Zanuck.
And Mankiewicz intended to release two films Cleopatra and Caesar and Cleopatra and Anthony, but the scandal of the Taylor Burton love affair derailed that as Burton would hardly appear in the first film and not get together with Taylor until the second. But reading about the missing material only wets the appetite.
now back to Cinemascope.
I want to see all the historical and Biblical epics on Blu Ray. The Story of Ruth, Esther and the King, Francis of Assisi, the lot.

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Real Name
RICK
Still waiting for WB to release....Land of the Pharaohs & Helen of Troy ! I guess they need a lot of Work in Re$toration.
LAND OF THE PHARAOHS.jpg
helen-of-troy-1955.jpg

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Still waiting for WB to release....Land of the Pharaohs & Helen of Troy ! I guess they need a lot of Work in Re$toration. View attachment 79319 View attachment 79320
Land of the Pharoahs had a beautiful transfer shown on UK tv last year, but I’m dying to see an HD restoration of Helen of Troy which is a movie I’ve always loved. I’m amazed at which movies get restored and which don’t. I wonder who decides that some of the rubbish comedies that get upgraded and released onto Blu Ray are more interesting and commercial and these big budget epics?

• Love
Reactions: RICK BOND

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Why do you believe there were two cuts?
Hi Robin, there were two cuts of Cleopatra released theatrically... the 243 minute roadshow cut, as well as a truncated 192 minute version. It was this shorter version that Elizabeth Taylor saw when she was forced to attend the premiere in London after skipping out on the one in New York. She felt that Burton's performance, and anything good about the film, had been destroyed.

Reactions: Robin9 and dpippel

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The last thing that would have occurred to me while watching this was "Wow, I really wish this were 90 minutes longer."
I am a fan of Cleopatra, but I also would not want it to be any longer. I think 4 hours is sufficient. When I first saw it, it was on ABC's Sunday Night Movie (over two nights, I think) in the 4 hour version. When videotapes were introduced, I bought the Magnetic Video VHS version which was the 192 minute version. That version truly sucked. I was delighted when the 4-hour version was eventually released on VHS and later on Laserdisc in widescreen. I am pleased with the 4-hour version on Blu-ray.

I have read that screen treatment that is online somewhere describing the cut scenes. None of them sound indispensable to me.

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Hi Robin, there were two cuts of Cleopatra released theatrically... the 243 minute roadshow cut, as well as a truncated 192 minute version. It was this shorter version that Elizabeth Taylor saw when she was forced to attend the premiere in London after skipping out on the one in New York. She felt that Burton's performance, and anything good about the film, had been destroyed.
Not sure this I correct as I saw the movie the week it opened In the west end of London at the Dominion Theatre and it ran over four hours. When put out later on the Rank circuit it was cut by almost an hour so they could get three showings a day in!

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
I am a fan of Cleopatra, but I also would not want it to be any longer. I think 4 hours is sufficient. When I first saw it, it was on ABC's Sunday Night Movie (over two nights, I think) in the 4 hour version. When videotapes were introduced, I bought the Magnetic Video VHS version which was the 192 minute version. That version truly sucked. I was delighted when the 4-hour version was eventually released on VHS and later on Laserdisc in widescreen. I am pleased with the 4-hour version on Blu-ray.

I have read that screen treatment that is online somewhere describing the cut scenes. None of them sound indispensable to me.
So you have never seen it in Todd Ao on a giant screen? If true you’ve never seen it in all it’s glory.

Reactions: AnthonyClarke

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
We saw the original issue of "Cleopatra" at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood. I THINK it was around 4 hours long, but not sure. I assume it was Todd-AO since it had just opened. Can anyone confirm? My father liked it; my mother thought "How the West Was Won", which was playing down the street at the Warner Cinerama, was a better film.

cinemel1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Watched Story of Ruth last week, though not on Blu Ray. Not a bad movie though very much in the 60s Biblical epic style. Would be great to see it polished up in HD!
The Story of Ruth has always been a favorite. The DVD is surprisingly good. Ruth has a beautiful score by Franz Waxman, especially the melody applied to the well known words from the Bible: Ruth tells her mother-in-law Naomi after her husband had died, where you go I will go, where you lodge I will lodge and your God shall be my God. The first half of the film is not from the scripture, but adds much to Ruth’s desire to take on a new faith. Fine performances by Peggy Wood as Naomi and Elena Eden as Ruth. Of course, a blu-ray would be nice, but now that Disney has taken over 20th it’s unlikely that will happen.

cinemel1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mel Matsil
We saw the original issue of "Cleopatra" at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood. I THINK it was around 4 hours long, but not sure. I assume it was Todd-AO since it had just opened. Can anyone confirm? My father liked it; my mother thought "How the West Was Won", which was playing down the street at the Warner Cinerama, was a better film.
I saw Cleopatra a few days after it opened at the Rivoli in NY. It was an anticipated event. The Rivoli always was the premier Todd AO theatre in NY. Picture and audio were exemplary. I enjoyed it so much I went to see it again a few months later. Almost a year later I went to see it when it went into general release and was so disappointed that it was the 192 minute version, no overture, no intermission, no exit music. So many roadshow films were treated that way in those days. It was great to see the 4 hour version again when released on blu-ray about 50 years later. In recent years it was shown on the big screen in the 4 hour version. Only a handful of people were in the theatre. They had to state in print on the screen that an overture would precede the film. Cleopatra would make a fine UHD 4K transfer of the Todd AO 70 mm. However, Disney would probably not be interested now that they own the 20th library.

Reactions: usrunnr

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Los-Angeles-premiere-of-“Cleopatra”-at-the-Hollywood-Pantages-Theater-on-Hollywood-Blvd-summer...jpg

20th-Century-Foxs-_Cleopatra_-plays-the-Pantages-Theatre-Hollywood-Blvd-Christmas-1963.jpg--10...png

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I saw Cleopatra a few days after it opened at the Rivoli in NY. It was an anticipated event. The Rivoli always was the premier Todd AO theatre in NY. Picture and audio were exemplary. I enjoyed it so much I went to see it again a few months later. Almost a year later I went to see it when it went into general release and was so disappointed that it was the 192 minute version, no overture, no intermission, no exit music. So many roadshow films were treated that way in those days. It was great to see the 4 hour version again when released on blu-ray about 50 years later. In recent years it was shown on the big screen in the 4 hour version. Only a handful of people were in the theatre. They had to state in print on the screen that an overture would precede the film. Cleopatra would make a fine UHD 4K transfer of the Todd AO 70 mm. However, Disney would probably not be interested now that they own the 20th library.
rivolic.jpg

large (1).jpg

large.jpg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
These 2 pictures bring back a lot of memories. Thank you. Especially the huge billboard on the side of the theater. I think there was one on the other side as well. I do remember it was reserved seat only, and that the top price was, I think, $5.50. The Frolic Room, next door, is still there.

Last edited:

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
I‘m sure the Todd Ao screen in London wasn’t curved. Don’t recall any of the 70mm movie presentations being on a curved screen, giant one yes, but only Cinerama screen was curved.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasquezlane