1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

20th Century Fox's CinemaScope films

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Thomas T, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Yes, yes and yes! It's one of my Holy Grails. I'm hoping for the complete Roadshow version but I suspect I'll have to settle for less than that. :(

Nick Eden and ahollis like this.
  2. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

Me too but not if it is mono!!!

ahollis likes this.
  3. ptb2017fr

ptb2017fr Stunt Coordinator

Paul Bale
    yes, corrected it. Don’t know what gremlin got into my brain or my spellchecker to change it! Reviews of Third Secret the movie were really good. Pity you didn’t like it.

4. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    As Disney are remaking everything in their back catalogue (as original seems a word they no longer understand,) you might be lucky and get a « fresh » take on it!

5. Message #225 of 237 Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    Just watched German release of Soldier of Fortune, with Clark Gable and Susan Hayward.
    Not a bad transfer of another movie where they sent a camera crew to an exotic location then shot a lot of the wide shots without using the actual lead actors then cut into back projection studio stuff for close ups. As both the stars went to Hong Kong, as some shots clearly feature them in authentic locations, it still seems crazy to me they shot things the way they did in the 50s and 60s. This was made in 1955, and doesn't have the Cinemascope logo on the front, just the straightforward Fox searchlights. When was that introduced? This has as the first title 20th Century Fox presents a Cinemascope picture. Not a bad movie though with a couple of awful scenes in a bar run by Americans, a dreadful supporting performance from an actor pretending to be French, and some attitudes to women that show us how far we've come since!

6. john a hunter

Didn't think much of the PQ.
    Much more noise than usual though it improves from about chap5.
    Colours were good and sound so so.
    Never had seen the film before but found it enjoyable.
    All the back projections didn't take me out of the film as they did in Untamed.

7. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Next: An animated musical of The Empire Strikes Back — complete with a high-kicking chorus line of Storm Troopers singing "If you knew Vader like we know Vader . . ."

Ed Lachmann likes this.
  8. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Actually, Susan Hayward did not go to Hong Kong (she was involved in a divorce/child custody case that didn't allow her to leave the country). That was a body double used during the actual Hong Kong scenes. As for the CinemaScope logo missing, that seems an anomaly as it was still used for other Fox CinemaScope films of the period.

Jimbo64 likes this.
  9. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    Are you sure she didn't go as there is one sequence in particular which is definitely her being taken around the streets?

10. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Yes, she didn't go to Hong Kong. The sequence you're referring to was most likely shot on a Fox sound stage or L.A. location dressed up to look like Hong Kong. Hollywood's art directors were wizards at that sort of thing back in the day. When I watch Casablanca, I totally believe I'm in Casablanca, not the Warners sound stages.

Tony Bensley and Jimbo64 like this.
  11. SeanSKA

SeanSKA Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    I watched TT's "Peyton Place" recently, and noticed that Lana Turner never went on location. The shots of her character filmed in New England used a body double

Jimbo64 likes this.
  12. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    Thomas T is body double the right term? You corrected me once when I sais something about using a double but can’t remember your answer now. Sorry.

13. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Yes, it is although people sometimes erroneously confuse the terms body double and stand in. When an actor is unavailable or not really needed for a scene, a body double is used, usually shot from the back or a great distance so the audience can't tell it's really not the actor. Example: we see a long shot of a taxi driving up to the Eiffel Tower and a woman getting out. Then a close up of Julia Roberts looking up at the Eiffel Tower and smiling. That was not Julia Roberts getting out of the taxi cab, that was a body double. A stand is never on camera. They are used when the director and/or DP are arranging or framing a shot. Julia Roberts is not going to stand around waiting while the director or DP lights the scene but a body double with similar coloring, height etc. does that until they're ready to shoot then Julia comes in and takes over.

For the record, I have done both body double and stand in work.

14. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    Caprice is one of the worst body double movies with both Doris Day and the double in a ridiculous huge hat so she can be identified in long shots. But it’s clear Doris never went anywhere near Paris let alone the Eiffel Tower! It’s the same in Soldier of Fortune for the long shots of the body double for Susan Hayward disembarking from the ship in Canton wearing a huge hat and distinctive coat!

Thomas T likes this.
  15. ptb2017fr

Paul Bale
    Just taken delivery of the German release of D-Day the 6th June which of course isn’t really a war movie but a love story. The first six minutes are not encouraging, colour really bad, with a lot of wobble on the images. Only when Richard Todd arrives at the house of Dana Wynter do things improve, colour improves and quality improves no end.
    Having just seen the amazing 1917, simply a masterpiece, I shouldn’t have even looked at anything to do with war!

16. Camps

Camps Supporting Actor

Tom
    Since they've issued others like it in MOD-DVD, here's hoping whoever's left in Fox's homevid dept. can get us a release of this 1960 cinemascope title from their Associated Producers B-unit:

[​IMG]

Robin9 likes this.
  17. Message #237 of 237 Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    john a hunter

Well those that do want Song of Norway only have to wait till April.
    Let's hope KL does a good job !