What's new

2018 MLB Season Thread (1 Viewer)

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
"In the Japan Series, games are called draws after 12 innings. If the series is tied after seven games, a Game 8 is played, and games continue until one team has won four games."

Well if we allowed tied games, after 7 World Series games ending in a tie, a panel of impartial sports journalists could select the champion team.

This idea worked really well for naming the college football champion.

Literally laughed out loud when I read this! Good post! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was screaming at the TV last night when they pulled him after 60 pitches on 8 days rest and pitching well. Absolutely no sense in not trying to get at least 6 out of him and probably 7 the way he was throwing. It wasn't like he was struggling -- I think he threw 2-3 mediocre pitches and one major hanger all night.

He gave up just one run on three hits. It was a bad decision by Cora.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Agreed. Not sure what Cora was thinking at that moment. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20, and I'm sure Cora had no idea at that moment that they would be playing 10+ innings later on, but still, why pull a guy who at that moment was cruising?!

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
That mirrors Puig. Now just the run scored by throwing the ball into RF separating them. First ball he's hit hard in months it seems -- no doubt about it though. Almost got the Dasani sign

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Wow. Really surprised that so many runs have been scored so late in this game. I figured both teams would have been exhausted after last night. Nope!

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
The Boston 1B tandem accounting for 7RBI tonight.
Pearce and Eovaldi have been massive late season pickups.

Hitters didn;t have anything to be exhausted from last night since it was mostly standing around and running back and forth to the bench.
The pitchers act like they have the hangover.

Assuming Boston doesn't mirror the LA 9th inning, then Kershaw and Sale appear ready to go on Sunday.
Very strange series with 8 starting LHP in 10 games

Geez -- Kimbrel just can't do anything the easy way though the umpire strike zone shrunk considerably in that half inning.

Last edited:

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Yeah, Boston's offense sure woke up late in this game. After 20+ innings of little to no runs, it was a completely different story from the sixth inning on. Not sure if they will win Game 5, but they've got a great chance to win at least one of the next couple. Go Red Sox!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Red Sox decide to start David Price in game #5...sted Sale.

Initially, my heart sank. But then, after a little thought, I've decided that's not a bad idea at all (even being ignorant of what kind of problems Sale might be having).

If there's games 6 & 7, you'd have Sale & Eovaldi to start in Fenway (assuming Sale's okay). And if Price can channel his current enthusiasm and momentum into a series-clinching win...that would be HUGE.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Count me in as being part of the camp that doesn't care for the non pitched intentional walks. I find the sight of the batter being told to take first base a theatre of the absurd. Could this have been prompted by today's focus on individual pitch counts, perhaps?

CHEERS! :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't think it's about pitch counts; I think it was spurred by the initiative to speed of the pace of the game.

The thing is, baseball games on TV are running long and they can seem bloated. But watching an extra four pitches is a negligible difference. That's not where the bloat is. If they want to make the game run faster, stop letting the TV broadcasts determine the flow of the game, and stop taking so many commercial breaks and at such length each time. They're willing to investigate every possible change except that one.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Fox - please switch up the broadcasters next season. It would be fun to see the Mets sny team cover the series. Hernandez, darling and howie rose.

When I watch tonight I’ll have the espn radio broadcast on as well.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Can't imagine it being anyone else other than Joe Buck on the Fox side - he's been their sports anchor for big events for what, two decades now?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Fox - please switch up the broadcasters next season. It would be fun to see the Mets sny team cover the series. Hernandez, darling and howie rose.

When I watch tonight I’ll have the espn radio broadcast on as well.

That’s silly.
Darling is employed by TBS and their baseball broadcast in addition to the Mets.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I doubt pitch count was the issue -- those were never part of the official pitch count anyway though I'm not sure how internal counters account for those, warm up pitches at the start of the inning, pitches thrown b/w innings under the stadium esp in long innings or delays, or even pregame warmups.

Overall -- accounting for wild pitches (Mark Wohlers special), passed balls, stolen bases, balks (pitcher or catcher), the official swing/miss or swing/foul or ball in play, the fake intentional walk and throw a strike when the batter isn't paying attention (Johnny Bench). I think the number I saw was b/w 200 and 500 pitches/unexpected event

OTOH, with an average one IBB less than every 2 games with a 30 -45 second time saving, it's really not exactly a time saving device

I did get a kick out of looking at leaders -- Hank Aaron got less than 293 IBB (3rd All-Time) in 14000 plate appearance in 3300 games
Barry Bonds got 120 in a single season and 700 in his career (2nd place career Albert Pujols 310). There aren't many statistics in any leagues where the career leader has 2.5times the 2nd place.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
David Price is pitching a masterpiece in this Game 5. Looks like Alex Cora made the right call in selecting Price as the starter for this game. 6 outs away from their 4th Championship in 15 years! Go Red Sox!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks