What's new

2023 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It's too bad you're not a Yankees fan because you could have subscribe to the YES app as a local resident and be able to watch Yankees games. I don't think SNY has an app, but you can check.

Hmmm... didn't realize they started offering that last year. Probably about time... though it looks quite expensive for just YES network alone. I may just do that for 3-4 months per season maybe skipping April (and early May?) and maybe part of July (w/ the All-Star break) or something (and then play it by ear for Sept depending on how they're doing)... :P

_Man_

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Adrian Beltre, Todd Helton and Joe Mauer have been elected to Cooperstown, completing the Class of 2024 along with Jim Leyland.

Billy Wagner fell just 5 votes short of induction this year, but he should be a lock for induction next year on his final shot on the ballot.

Gary Sheffield falls off the ballot after eclipsing the 60 percent mark, so the Veterans Committee will now be his best chance for induction.

The candidacies of David Wright, Francisco Rodriguez, Mark Buehrle and Torii Hunter will live to see another ballot as they all just clear the 5 percent mark needed to stay on.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Adrian Beltre

I remember the season he was on the Red Sox and broke the ribs of not one but two different teammates on separate occasions.

I also remember the team that year had a good luck ritual of rubbing a teammate’s head in the dugout if that teammate had just hit a home run, and Beltre hated it. Watching him take it way too seriously and getting seriously heated in the dugout was pretty fun.

David Wright

There’s a guy that if he had had the career everyone expected him to, he’s getting in, but as sad as it was to see him constantly injured, he just didn’t have the opportunities given those injuries to earn his spot in there, in my view.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Congratulations to my favorite Minnesota Twins play of the 2000's.

1706172659020.png

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
THe HOF vote ceased to have any legitimacy for me when the writers refused to induct Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens but let in someone who appeared on a substance user list in 2003 on his first try on the ballot (David Ortiz) (and these same writers a generation earlier gave HOF plaques to two pitchers whose entire careers depended on an illegal pitch, Gaylord Perry and Don Sutton) and who also allowed their political biases to keep Curt Schilling out. Then the Veterans Committee rewarded cronyism for Tony LaRussa and Jerry Reinsdorf by putting in Harold Baines.

In short, I no longer regard the vote as having any meaning.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've never understood that process, either. Seems like far too many personal biases would affect voting.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I am happy to hear that Altuve in all likelihood will finish his career as a Houston Astro. Personally, I consider him the 'face' of the Astros and he is my favorite player on the current roster.

- Walter.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just checking in as I contemplate whether I’ll be following my local team for the 2024 season.

Is it still the case that the MLB app only works for out of market teams, so that there is no way for me to subscribe solely for the local team’s games?

I am not interested in resubscribing to cable, nor am I interested in a high priced linear bundle of cable channels delivered via streaming like YouTubeTV or Hulu Live. If those are the only options still, I will skip baseball again this year.
I’m hoping to take a family trip to New York and to see the Mets this summer. Fingers crossed.

Is there a 2024 season thread started yet?

Can’t say enough about how much I’m enjoying The Mets Pod podcast too.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Super Bowl is over. Time for baseball!

I'm on pins-and-needles about the silent bidding on Ohtani and various other top/star players this week in my salary dynasty fantasy league, heh... Maybe my fantasy Dodgers -- yeah, my team there is the Brooklyn Dodgers, heh -- are destined to lose Ohtani (just as it did Betts, Trout, et al before him) just as the real life one added him long term, LOL...

I know, nobody here cares about fantasy baseball, hehheh, but this "place" has largely still been kinda crickets, heh, so... ;):lol:

_Man_

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
His best years came later but HOF 3rd Baseman Adrián Beltré was already showing his defensive excellence in Seattle. I was able to cover a few games during his Mariners years. © George Holland Adrian_Beltre_GH_08092009_057_1000p.jpg Adrian_Beltre_GH_06252009_1000p.jpg Adrian_Beltre_GH_08092009_099_1000p.jpg

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
When a sentence actually says something different than your brain initially thought. Sometimes it is worth a laugh

ESPN teaser on front page

"Phils' Harper OK with 1B: Eyes deal into his 40's"

I suspect without the 2nd half of the line I probably wouldn't have taken it the wrong way, but first thought was "Wouldn't anyone with be OK with $1Billion contract."

Turns out moving to 1B defensively and extending his current contract to stay in Philly forever are two different issues the article addresses

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks