What's new

2023 MLB Season (2 Viewers)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
So Dodgers current starters for 2024 include (injury history noted).

Glasnow
Yamamoto
Buehler
Kershaw (not sure how long his surgery recovery might be or if he'll even sign)
Bobby Miller
Sheehan

Somewhere mid-late year maybe Dustin May can return
Tony Gonsolin but guessing he's not going to pitch in 2024

In 2025 add Ohtani maybe and hopefully group of healthier post surgery recoveries on 2024 staff. If Gavin Stone and/or Michael Grove develop that would take a lot of stress off several

I'm assuming Julio Urias is no longer going to be a Dodger if/when he is allowed to pitch again.

It is interesting how the Dodgers appear to have gone from a LHP dominant staff to looking for a healthy LHP to start at all (not counting Ryan Yarborough)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

Did the Dodgers keep Yarborough? I haven't heard. I liked him this past year after trading for him; hope they do...or did?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dodgers Ohtani and Yamamoto. For the most part, rest of MLB will be rooting against them.

1703431258549.png

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Holy Mackerel -- it's Superman and Jimmy Olsen. I've never realized just how massive Ohtani is while he's playing.

But maybe it's just something screwy with the photographic angles, but is Ohtani really that asymmetric? His right wide is twice the size of his left?

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
The Dodgers Newsletter from an L.A. Times writer had things to say in his newsletter today. Here's some selected items:

Hi, and welcome to another edition of Dodgers Dugout. My name is Houston Mitchell and the Dodgers have spent $1.161 billion on three players. Coincidentally, $1.161 billion is what it will cost a family of four to attend a game next season. Just take out a loan.
[...]
The Dodgers were really after pitcher Tyler Glasnow, 30, though. He is perfect for the Dodgers because he fulfills Andrew Friedman‘s seeming compulsion to have as many pitchers who had Tommy John surgery on the roster as possible.
[...]
The Dodgers’ payroll next season for salary threshold purposes has surpassed $280 million, according to Cots Contracts. The third luxury tax threshold is $277 million. Because of that, any other signings the Dodgers make will incur a 92.5% surcharge.
[...]
The Dodgers are obviously, finally, publicly tired of flaming out in the postseason and are doing everything they can think of to win the World Series. But just being real here, none of this guarantees that. It’s great they are doing this, and hopefully at the end of the season they don't flame out, but there’s an alternate reality where the headline could read “Betts, Freeman, Ohtani go three for 42 and Yamamoto shelled as 140-win Dodgers are swept in the first round.”
[...]
The Dodgers still have major pitchers on the IL. Walker Buehler might not be ready for opening day and will be on an innings restriction this season. If you are wondering about Clayton Kershaw, he won’t be back until July or so. Then he will decide who to sign with. Tony Gonsolin will probably miss the season because of Tommy John surgery. Dustin May won’t be back until August, if then, after his elbow surgery.
[...]
The team just spent $1.16 billion and still has a few needs. [Yikes!] That’s amazing when you think about it. [No kidding!] The Dodgers are still trying to add to this team, mainly by trade. A reunion with Kiké Hernández remains possible, especially if they don’t feel Vargas is ready. There are reports the Dodgers are interested in closer Josh Hader.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
LOL!

Ohtani did go there to win (and sorta made all this possible and I suppose even necessary/required of the Dodgers)... although I'm not sure how good Teoscar will actually be going forward -- I was never that convinced of his bat myself. He certainly won't be able to complain about underperforming (w/ his bat) because of a mediocre lineup around him or tough homepark (particularly against righties) -- he'll even get to bat at Coors (and against dem lame Rockies) a good deal more often now... although also similarly less against the lameduck A's (in their tough park). But of course, it's only a 1-year "pillow" deal, so...

_Man_

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
With less than a week before the announcement of the results of the BBWAA Hall of Fame ballot, here's what's shaping up from the ballot tracker:

Adrian Beltre is certainly going to join Jim Leyland in Cooperstown this summer.
Todd Helton and Joe Mauer have a solid chance of joining Beltre.
Billy Wagner will either be inducted this year or next year on his final shot on the ballot.
Gary Sheffield will either just make it in or just fall short of induction.

Carlos Beltran and Andruw Jones are trending towards induction despite falling short of induction.
Chase Utley will have a solid start to his Hall of Fame candidacy.
Manny Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez, Bobby Abreu and Andy Pettitte continue to stagnate on the ballot.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, the Astros just made their own FA splash... apparently to replace their still-under-contract closer for next several years. Guess they didn't wanna trust young Abreu w/ the job.

Seems odd for them to make that kinda $$$ commitment to another closer when they might need to spend $$$ on the rest of the roster as soon as next year (when Altuve and Bregman are set to hit FA unless extended)...

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Just checking in as I contemplate whether I’ll be following my local team for the 2024 season.

Is it still the case that the MLB app only works for out of market teams, so that there is no way for me to subscribe solely for the local team’s games?

I am not interested in resubscribing to cable, nor am I interested in a high priced linear bundle of cable channels delivered via streaming like YouTubeTV or Hulu Live. If those are the only options still, I will skip baseball again this year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just checking in as I contemplate whether I’ll be following my local team for the 2024 season.

Is it still the case that the MLB app only works for out of market teams, so that there is no way for me to subscribe solely for the local team’s games?

I am not interested in resubscribing to cable, nor am I interested in a high priced linear bundle of cable channels delivered via streaming like YouTubeTV or Hulu Live. If those are the only options still, I will skip baseball again this year.
You can subscribe to one team. Which team do you root for?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You can subscribe to one team. Which team do you root for?

I’ve been a Red Sox and Mets fan in my life but if I follow this year it’ll be the Mets - I live relatively close to their stadium and if I want to introduce my kids to baseball I think it makes sense that they get to watch a team their classmates might also be following, and a team they may get to visit in person.

I was just under the impression that since I am a Mets fan living in NY, I am not allowed to watch Mets games live on the MLB app and must instead get the Mets cable channel (SNY) through a cable provider in order to watch the games.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ve been a Red Sox and Mets fan in my life but if I follow this year it’ll be the Mets - I live relatively close to their stadium and if I want to introduce my kids to baseball I think it makes sense that they get to watch a team their classmates might also be following, and a team they may get to visit in person.

I was just under the impression that since I am a Mets fan living in NY, I am not allowed to watch Mets games live on the MLB app and must instead get the Mets cable channel (SNY) through a cable provider in order to watch the games.
It's too bad you're not a Yankees fan because you could have subscribe to the YES app as a local resident and be able to watch Yankees games. I don't think SNY has an app, but you can check.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is on the MLB site:

• Home television territory blackout restrictions apply regardless of whether a Club is home or away and regardless of whether or not a game is televised in a Club's home television territory.
This leads me to believe I will not be allowed to stream Mets games.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is on the MLB site:

This leads me to believe I will not be allowed to stream Mets games.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's too bad you're not a Yankees fan because you could have subscribe to the YES app as a local resident and be able to watch Yankees games. I don't think SNY has an app, but you can check.

Even if SNY has an app that doesn’t help really because Mets games are on a combination of SNY and local and National channels.

I really need an app based solution that allows me to subscribe to view all of my team’s games regardless of what network they air on or where I live.

If I’m understanding correctly, it seems that is still forbidden.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Even if SNY has an app that doesn’t help really because Mets games are on a combination of SNY and local and National channels.

I really need an app based solution that allows me to subscribe to view all of my team’s games regardless of what network they air on or where I live.

If I’m understanding correctly, it seems that is still forbidden.
In order to stream SNY on your device, you will need to be a SNY subscriber through a participating TV provider and live inside SNY's regional territory (NY, CT, parts of NJ and PA).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In order to stream SNY on your device, you will need to be a SNY subscriber through a participating TV provider and live inside SNY's regional territory (NY, CT, parts of NJ and PA).

Yeah that’s a non-starter for me. I’m not getting cable just to watch the Mets.

I can’t believe the MLB still hasn’t solved this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks