What's new

2014 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The Eagles would have to be really terrible not to win the weak NFC East. The only team that could possibly overtake them are the Redskins, assuming RGIII is healthy. But that would be a huge stretch.

This should be a fun season, and something worth watching, since the Phillies have not been this year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The NFC East does seem to be Philly's to lose, Walter. None of the other teams will strike fear into their opponents at all.

The Raiders will be starting the rookie Derek Carr at QB. Hopefully he doesn't get pummeled like his older brother David did in Houston.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott Merryfield said:
The NFC East does seem to be Philly's to lose, Walter. None of the other teams will strike fear into their opponents at all.

The Raiders will be starting the rookie Derek Carr at QB. Hopefully he doesn't get pummeled like his older brother David did in Houston.
I hope he doesn't either as he's one of the few reasons why I might keep the Sunday Ticket this year.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Patrick_S said:
if the Pats were in the AFC West they wouldn't even be a playoff team
Yeah, I'm a fan, but that's objectively ludicrous.

If the Pats can stay healthy they will challenge anyone this season. The defense especially will be much improved. (Had they been healthier at the end of last season, they would've been the ones getting pummeled by Seattle in the Super Bowl! :) )

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Scott Merryfield said:
The Pats trade former backup QB Ryan Mallett to the Texans for a conditional 7th round pick - the NFL equivalent of a cup of cold Sanka and a dirty snot rag. I remember Mallett being a hot young prospect at Michigan, who fled to Arkansas when RichRod became UM's head coach (also known as the Dark Days in Ann Arbor). He had some promise early on as Brady's understudy in New England, but just didn't develop. It says a lot about Houston's QB situation that he's being talked about as being the possible starter soon.
I don't think it's that he didn't develop; I think it's that his contract is about to be up and Brady isn't ready to retire. Someone would've paid him starter money next year, so they probably just figured they'd get something for him rather than letting him walk. Then again, maybe if he'd progressed more, there'd have been some more competition to get him. We should get a chance to see him play in Houston, anyway. :)

Now, whether it was worth a 2nd rounder on Garoppalo to be able to let Mallett go for a 6th/ 7th rounder remains to be seen. :) I guess if he's ready to take over from Brady in a few years. . .

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
My Giants have looked pretty bad in the pre-season games. No pass rush and very little offense with Eli and the first team.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Aaron Silverman said:
I don't think it's that he didn't develop; I think it's that his contract is about to be up and Brady isn't ready to retire. Someone would've paid him starter money next year, so they probably just figured they'd get something for him rather than letting him walk. Then again, maybe if he'd progressed more, there'd have been some more competition to get him. We should get a chance to see him play in Houston, anyway. :)

Now, whether it was worth a 2nd rounder on Garoppalo to be able to let Mallett go for a 6th/ 7th rounder remains to be seen. :) I guess if he's ready to take over from Brady in a few years. . .
If he'd developed decently, Mallett would have fetched more than a conditional 7th round draft pick, which is as close to "nothing" as you can get in the NFL. Basically, Houston threw that pick at the Pats to save the Texans from using their top waiver claim spot on Mallett when the Patriots would have cut him, as would have happened without this trade. New England only keeps two QBs on the roster, and Garoppalo was going to be the backup.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
Yeah, I'm a fan, but that's objectively ludicrous.
Really?Looking at last years regular season results, they played a grand total of three games against teams that managed winning records for the season and lost two of them.

Edit: I had that wrong, they actually played four teams with winning records and beat two of them in the regular season. They played .500 ball against tough opponents! With this new information I think they should be odd on favorites to win the SB every year.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yes, really. You can cherry-pick one stat with a tiny sample size if you like. There are plenty of counter examples.

What happened in the playoffs? They beat the crap out of the Colts and then dropped a close game to Denver (whom they beat in the regular season -- what's that about the AFC West?) after their only above-average defensive back got injured.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I heard on my local sports talk radio station that the last nine Super Bowl winners didn't win a single playoff game the following year. Can that be true??

We have a bet going at work on how many 49ers will be arrested/suspended this year. I have "4" . Three on Defense, one on Special Teams. :wacko:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My apologies tho, this was my first merge, I should have done it the other way, keeping the original title. The tool to do so wasn't really obvious about this. Will know better next time. Huge apologies OP!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam Posten said:
Very strong showing from Seattle, they had everything going their way.
Yes, they looked very good last night. Remember, though, every year there is some team that looks unbeatable in September, and most do not end up winning the Super Bowl -- Denver last year is the most recent example. That being said, Seattle doesn't look like they lost anything from the roll they were on last season.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Read somewhere that it's been ages since a team has repeated as SB champs. Was it the Pats?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Pretty sure. And that was 10 years ago! But repeat champs in the NFL are pretty rare. GB, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Denver, NE off the top of my head. Did the Niners do it? Anyone else?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Aaron Silverman said:
Pretty sure. And that was 10 years ago! But repeat champs in the NFL are pretty rare. GB, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Denver, NE off the top of my head. Did the Niners do it? Anyone else?
Green Bay, Miami, and San Francisco also repeated.

In case anyone was wondering, the Lions never repeated. ;)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
Yes, really. You can cherry-pick one stat with a tiny sample size if you like. There are plenty of counter examples. What happened in the playoffs? They beat the crap out of the Colts and then dropped a close game to Denver (whom they beat in the regular season -- what's that about the AFC West?) after their only above-average defensive back got injured.
Looking at the the entire regular season is hardly cherry picking but heck I wouldn't expect anything else since your are a fan.Good news is the East looks as bad as ever so it should be a cake walk into the playoffs for the Pats.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
In case anyone was wondering, the Lions never repeated. ;)
Are the Lions the last of the original NFL teams to have never won a Super Bowl?I know they have won several NFL championships before there was a Super Bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks