What's new

2014 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Are the Lions the last of the original NFL teams to have never won a Super Bowl?
13 Teams have not won a Superbowl:

Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Houston Texans, Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings, Cincinatti Bengals, Philadelphia Eagles, Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, San Diego Chargers, Tennessee Titans.

Of those teams, I believe Arizona is the sole original team (then the Chicago Cardinals) in that list, aside from Detroit.

- Walter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick_S said:
Are the Lions the last of the original NFL teams to have never won a Super Bowl?I know they have won several NFL championships before there was a Super Bowl.
No, but they are the only team that was in existence when the Super Bowls began that has never even played in a Super Bowl. The NFL may argue that Cleveland belongs in that group because the franchise's history stayed in Cleveland when the team moved to Baltimore, but I don't buy it. The original Cleveland Browns have won 2 Super Bowls as the Baltimore Ravens. The current Cleveland Browns are an expansion franchise. And even so, there was a period of a few years when the franchise didn't exist after Modell sneaked off to Baltimore.

The Vikings, Cardinals, Chargers, Oilers/Titans and Eagles were all in existence for Super Bowl I but have never won a SB, either. However, they have all played in at least one game. I cannot remember when the Falcons, Bengals or Bills entered the league, so do not know if they would qualify for this "honor" (but they have all played in one, too).

Only the Lions, expansion Browns, expansion Texans, and expansion Jaguars have never played in a SB.

Also, since their last NFL championship in 1957, the Lions have won exactly ONE post season game, and that was all the way back in 1991. That's over half a century to you and me, Rusty!

Pretty sad, huh?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I cannot remember when the Falcons, Bengals or Bills entered the league, so do not know if they would qualify for this "honor" (but they have all played in one, too).
Had to look it up. The Bengals were founded in 1968 so they weren't around when Super Bowl one was played. the other two teams were founded in the 1960s prior to the first Super Bowl.

Detroit, wow. My hat is off to the fans who continue to follow them year in and year out. I guess during the Sander's period they were fun to watch because he was so incredible.

- Walter.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
?.. The NFL may argue that Cleveland belongs in that group because the franchise's history stayed in Cleveland when the team moved to Baltimore, but I don't buy it. The original Cleveland Browns have won 2 Super Bowls as the Baltimore Ravens. The current Cleveland Browns are an expansion franchise. And even so, there was a period of a few years when the franchise didn't exist after Modell sneaked off to Baltimore
I agree.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Sam Posten said:
Very strong showing from Seattle, they had everything going their way.
I was a bit nervous early in the game. It took Seattle a while to get into the groove. There is still work to be done there, but I think it will be a great season if everyone stays healthy. I loved how they found so many different ways to use Percy H!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Walter Kittel said:
Detroit, wow. My hat is off to the fans who continue to follow them year in and year out. I guess during the Sander's period they were fun to watch because he was so incredible.
It's amazing how bad the franchise has been, and all under a single ownership of William Clay Ford, Sr., who passed away this off season. I'm 52 years old and have seen them win only one playoff game! Luckily, I was also raised as a Steelers fan, as my mother is from western PA and my dad went to school there briefly. I was a fan before they ever won anything.

For those football fans in this area that only have the Lions, though, it's been really tough. Other than watching Barry Sanders, there hasn't been much to cheer about. And the franchise was so bad it even drove Barry to retire early, before he could set the all time rushing record. Just another in a long series of Lions disappointments.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A few observations from yesterday:

1. Denver's offense looked in mid-season form in the first half last night. I didn't watch the 2nd half, so not sure how the Colts got the score close.

2. How in the world do the Bears lose at home to the Bills?

3. New England should be very concerned about their offensive line. The Dolphins were able to pressure Brady all game with just a four man rush.

4. The Steelers came close to blowing a 24 point lead to the Browns! :wacko:

5. The Cowboys are bad. What did they expect, with both coordinators being former Lions coaches?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I had no idea the Falcons picked up Devin Hester, and he's our 4th "best" receiver? As long as the offense stays healthy, maybe the Falcons have a shot at better than a .500 record...

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Scott Merryfield said:
A few observations from yesterday:

1. Denver's offense looked in mid-season form in the first half last night. I didn't watch the 2nd half, so not sure how the Colts got the score close.

2. How in the world do the Bears lose at home to the Bills?

3. New England should be very concerned about their offensive line. The Dolphins were able to pressure Brady all game with just a four man rush.

4. The Steelers came close to blowing a 24 point lead to the Browns! :wacko:

5. The Cowboys are bad. What did they expect, with both coordinators being former Lions coaches?
Denver fan (since 1973) here....looking at some of the blogs, Denver Post, etc, it appears the Broncos want to establish their running game and use it to eat clock, etc if they get a big lead. Last night, that didn't work so well as the running game was sporadic at best and going heavy on the run really takes Peyton out of this rhythm. Then, when the Colt's started their comeback, he and the receivers were totally out of sync and couldn't get back in the groove.

Hopefully last night was a wake up call to keep the pedal to the metal if possible. On a positive, the Bronco's new-look D looked very strong....until the 2nd half when they were on the field forever due to the offenses inability to get first downs. They were gassed at the end.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
schan1269 said:
You'd think teams with leads would understand that is Andrew Luck tossing the ball on the other side...
Yep....and in today's NFL, a 24 point lead is not safe. Teams have to keep scoring, but old-school coaches are afraid of running up the score. That kind of thinking gets you beat in today's game. Just ask Andy Reid in the playoffs against Luck last year.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
His attitude towards his unconscious fiancée is appalling. Will he ever play in the nfl again?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Johnny,I would say that he will not.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
that video is just crazy. If Goodell saw it before today (against what the NFL press release says) he should be fired. No confidence in NFL leadership if it's true he saw it two months ago and still only handed down a 2 game suspension.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
No confidence in NFL leadership if it's true he saw it two months ago and still only handed down a 2 game suspension.
Agreed. The NFL was incredibly tone deaf on this matter. The idea that someone would get a two game suspension for an assault, while substance abuse could net much stronger penalties is appallingly out of balance.

- Walter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam Posten said:
that video is just crazy. If Goodell saw it before today (against what the NFL press release says) he should be fired. No confidence in NFL leadership if it's true he saw it two months ago and still only handed down a 2 game suspension.
Anyone who thinks the NFL hadn't seen either this video or one similar to it before today has their head in the sand. There is more backpedaling going on with the Ravens and the NFL than by a Pro Bowl cornerback right now. The league and team knew exactly what Rice did, knocking her unconscious. Did they think he delivered a love tap?

This action is not about doing what is "right", and everything to do with public relations. If the league was concerned about doing the right thing, they wouldn't have handed out just a two game suspension and seeming more concerned with players who are smoking weed (Josh Gordon getting a year's suspension). If the Ravens were concerned about doing the right thing, they wouldn't have welcomed Rice back while at the same time erecting a statue in front of their stadium to celebrate a man convicted of obstructing justice in a still unsolved murder investigation.

The NFL is run by a bunch of hypocrites who are only concerned about image. Today's message is it's okay to beat up your wife/girlfriend as long as no video gets released to the public.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Scott Merryfield said:
Green Bay, Miami, and San Francisco also repeated.

In case anyone was wondering, the Lions never repeated. ;)
You know, I thought of GB and Miami while I was typing that, and they somehow slipped my mind by the time I hit Post. Stupid ADD. . .

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Patrick_S said:
Looking at the the entire regular season is hardly cherry picking but heck I wouldn't expect anything else since your are a fan.Good news is the East looks as bad as ever so it should be a cake walk into the playoffs for the Pats.
There are 16 games in the regular season, not four. :p

Bad news is the East suddenly doesn't look so bad. . .aside from the Pats' offensive line! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks