What's new

2014 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Let's not forget that the Pats defense had *major* injury issues last season. They were missing their best DL and LB for pretty much the entire season, plus other starters, and the AFC Championship game didn't get out of hand until Talib went down.

Of course, now Wilfork has asked to be released. :( Guess they wouldn't budge on the pay cut. . .

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
All these teams taking a page out of the Eagles "Dreram Team" playbook, an approach to team building has been so successful....

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron,I understand the reasons the Patriots would not want to pay Wilfork. But man am I going to miss his presence on that line. :(

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
The Pats really needed Edelman back. Their receiving group is pretty thin, especially with Gronk unable to stay healthy.

...and more bad news for Lions fans. Speculation is it will be "business as usual" with the running of the team after the passing of William Clay Ford, Sr. Makes sense -- why change anything after half a century of ineptness and incompetence?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The 2014 Draft finally got underway.

How did your team do?

My hometown team, the Falcon snagged Jake Matthews after Greg Robinson went 2nd.

My buddy, the Cleveland fan, immediately lamented that there will be no #2 jerseys in his house as they do not cheer "Let's go, number two!" :D

Bortles went really early at #3.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,You must be incredibly pleased with the Lions' first-round draft pick. I mean, what they needed was yet another wide receiver, right? ;) Hopefully they will firm up their defense with their remaining six picks.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've been watching the draft on the nfl network. According to the commentators every pick is great for the team that picked him. So every team will be getting better. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,You must be incredibly pleased with the Lions' first-round draft pick. I mean, what they needed was yet another wide receiver, right? ;) Hopefully they will firm up their defense with their remaining six picks.
Absolutely terrible pick. This is why the Lions continue to suck. Even the Browns got their draft right, yet Mayhew decides he needs two tight ends with bad hands - Pettigrew wasn't enough. That is two first round picks he has wasted on the position. You can tell he learned from the master Millen. Good teams do not use high first round picks on tight ends. There were several defensive backs just waiting for the Lions, which was a position of need.

I have not even bothered to check out their remaining picks yet.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I wasn't sure where to post this news. So I just started a new thread. I'm sure many have heard of the passing of one of the NFL's greatest-ever coaches. I knew Noll was a great coach, but what I didn't know was how he was often times blatantly honest with his players.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11080732/legendary-pitsburgh-steelers-coach-chuck-noll-dies-82

Today, I heard an interview with Andy Russell, who was with the Steelers before Noll arrived (1969) and who saw the amazing transformation that took place with the Steelers. Russell had been selected for the Pro Bowl the preceding year. Noll called him into his office. Russell thought he was going to be congratulated for his accomplishment the previous year. Instead, Noll told him that he "Didn't like the way he played." Noll also told him that he would make Russell a better player in his thirties than he had been in his twenties, which Russell said he did.Noll's first year was less than glamorous, as the Steelers went 1-13 (including thirteen consecutive losses) before history was made. But the players that were eventually drafted -- including five(!) future Hall of Famers in 1974 -- were among the best ever to play the game. Noll was both a defensive and offensive coordinator at times with Pittsburgh. And he was so very good at getting his teams prepared for games.I'm sure Scott M. could tell us a lot more about this great coach. Although I've been a fan of the Patriots since the mid-1960s, I have loved watching the Steelers play for decades and have always rooted for them to win whenever they are in the Super Bowl. What the Steel Curtain did was at times astonishing, both statistically and pragmatically. That is the best defense I have ever seen in my nearly five decades of following the AFL and NFL.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was quite saddened by this news this morning. I grew up cheering for Noll's Steelers, as my mother was born and raised in western Pennsylvania, so I was raised as a Steelers fan. It was a much different NFL back then -- dynasties, no free agency, rushing-oriented offenses, bone-breaking defenses, and QB's still calling their own plays. Noll was a huge part of turning the Steelers from a laughing stock into a great franchise and the Team of the Decade in the '70's. I have so many great memories of watching that team, and Chuck Noll was instrumental in creating those memories.

The term "legend" gets thrown around a lot, but in this case it truly fits the man. Noll was a legend, and one of the catalysts that turned the Pittsburgh Steelers into arguably the greatest franchise of the Super Bowl era. RIP, Coach Noll.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Maybe this belongs in this thread:http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/330241-2014-nfl-season-pre-draft-to-disney-world/

(Mods, if you move this thread, please remove this, and the previous line.)

I grew up with a younger brother that loved the steelers. So I was forced to dislike them. I could never not like Chuck Noll.

He seemed to be the kind of man I would want to be coached and mentored by. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dheiner,Yeah, I thought of that thread as well. That's fine if they move it. I just started this thread rather than a Chuck Noll thread because I wasn't sure. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks