What's new

2007 NFL Off-Season Discussion Thread (Including Vick's troubles) (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Giants finally filled their RB hole, trading WR Tim Carter to Cleveland for Droughns.

Since Cleveland signed Jamal Lewis to only a one year contract, this still keeps Adrian Peterson in play with their #3 overall draft pick. They'll either take him or Quinn, IMO.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
He's an average back. In the right system -- like when he played in Denver -- Droughns can be productive. However, he's not good enough to do well behind a poor offensive line, such as he had in Cleveland. Since the Giants have lost some of their offensive line to free agency, Droughns will probably struggle there.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I remember a while back that the reason why the Denver Broncos were so good in the running game is because of how they develop their o-line....and some illegal technique they use which is now easier to spot by refs.

Does anybody else have a good explanation for this?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Jed and Casey are likely the experts here on how the Broncos cheated on the O-Line but they alway seem to be cut blocking and crackback blocking when I see them. They aren't overly big(unlike the Cowboy offensive lines of the past), so they try to use leverage to their advantage and a little cheating.

If Droughns is all the Giants could muster, they are in deep stuff. Their main 2 offensive weapons will be Shockey would is injury prone and the overly temperamental Plaxico Burress who likes to take plays off. I'm sure Eli is getting tired of that act already.

Surprisingly the Redskins have been quiet this offseason.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
New England signed WR Donte Stallworth for six years and $30 million ($12M guaranteed). I always thought he was a disappointment for a former first round draft pick. The Pats need receivers, though.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Scott,
The Stallworth deal is really only a 1 yr deal. The 2nd year has $11 million in option bonuses that essentially mean he either redoes the contract or he's gone.

LB Donnie Edwards resigned with Kansas City. He played there a while back but SD didn't want to pay him anymore so he's going back "home".

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

That's a lot different than what ESPN was reporting earlier. I see they have changed their article now to reflect these terms, which make a lot more sense than a $12M guarantee upfront.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

Maybe they're counting on an increased role for Brandon Jacobs. In any case, there certainly will be a drop-off in RB production next year as compared to last year, that's for sure.

WR may actually be an improvement, assuming Amani Toomer and Sinorice Moss stay healthy.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
ok, I'm emerging from the cone of silence to take back up some slack in this thread...it was not all that long ago, especially during the draft, that it was the Shane and Casey show, I have not retired...just been busy.

IMO, the best thing to do this offseason is to use the new found cap flexibility to keep your current core players happy. If you've got quality players with deals coming up soon or who are under valued, now would be the perfect time to do extensions. I think the Raiders should do this with Nnamdi Asomugha.

Oakland signed Dominic Rhodes and that's nice and all though I'm still worried about the offensive line. I think the signing of Justin Griffith out of Atlanta to play fullback will probably prove to be one of their better signings as he's a good blocker and can catch some passes as well.

As for Denver, I'm not going to say anything about that team's line play accept that all you need to do is go back a few years when a lot of players seemed to end up with broken legs after playing against Denver.

The 49ers have probably been the busiest team in free agency but I'm not all that impressed.

If I were the Raiders I'd try to trade Randy Moss and then take Calvin Johnson with the first pick I'm convinced he's the best player in the draft. Unfortunately, as of now, Andrew Walter is the only QB on the roster. So it is more likely right now that the pick is Jamarcus Russell.

Words I never thought I'd read in a Brandon T post.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with this article and Jeff Fisher, it is time for Pac-man to hit the road. I realize that he was a top 10 pick 2 seasons ago, and that he does have talent but his wrapsheet is getting to be longer than his stats sheet.

This guy is getting himself blackballed from the league, and while I can't say no team would take a flyer on him if he were cut the number of teams that might consider it may be counted on one hand.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
He'd be a perfect Bengal :)

I have to say I respect Jeff Fisher quite a bit. After the Haynesworth ordeal and now this, he is a great coach.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I didn't want to use the Bengal line, but I knew it was coming.

As for Fisher I completely agree. The NFL and the world in general could probably stand a few more Jeff Fisher types.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
New England has signed another receiver. Kelly Washington formerly of Cincinnati signs for a reported 5 years $22 million according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Also, it appears that Emmitt Smith will be joining the ESPN studio show.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The Lions have signed former Rams wide receiver Shaun McDonald to a 2-year $2.8 million deal according to NFLN's Adam Schefter.

The last former Rams receiver they signed, last offseason, worked out well for them so why not try it again?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Yes, but the one before that -- Az Hakim -- didn't work out so well... either of the times Millen signed him.

Anyway, this is just a depth signing, but it does probably mean that Kevin Curtis will not be signing with Detroit. That's fine with me. I would rather see them keep their options open with possibly taking Calvin Johnson in the draft if Oakland passes on him. Of course, Millen is probably too scared to take another WR this high, even though in this case it would be the proper pick.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I agree. This also probably spells doom for Mike Williams. At this point, I actually hope the Lions take CJ. Did I really just say that? I hope the Lions take a WR in the first round. I'm not sold on Gaines Adams, a Kalimba Edwards clone, and Joe Thomas is nice, but there are plenty of good offensive lineman that can be had in the second round.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Kelley Washington deal is the same as the Stallworth deal. It's a one year deal essentially that can be extended if they want.

All of these type deals seem to indicate to me that the Patriots are gearing up for a 1 yr shot at a championship. I wonder if this means combined with Belechick's contract ending next year that this is it for him? Trying to go out with a bang.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks