What's new

2007 NFL Off-Season Discussion Thread (Including Vick's troubles) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

I just hope Horn will maintain his sure-handedness, even at his advanced age for a receiver because Jenkins and White do not have great hands. And hopefully Finneran will be able to regain his 2005 form before ripping up his knee. With Horn, this will allow Petrino to run some 4-receiver sets, and even throw Crumpler in for 5-receiver sets every now and then.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Horn is a good move. Even though he is on the downhill slide, I think he is still better than the deadbeats Atlanta calls receivers(other than their TE).

In other news,
QB Patrick Ramsey signed with Patrick Ramsey... err I mean the Broncos :)
and Jamal Lewis goes to the Browns. Surprise move.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm surprised by the Browns signing Lewis, too. I figured they were a lock for drafting Peterson 3rd overall. This may mean Cleveland will take Quinn or Russell, since they are not happy with Charlie Frye at QB.

Horn is a good signing by the Falcons. The only downsides are (1) he has trouble staying healthy, and (2) he'll have a running back throwing him the ball :) .

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
The Lewis signing is a curious one. This draft is turning out to be very interesting due to the free agent signings. I am hoping Casey chimes in, because I have heard more and more about Oakland really liking Calvin Johnson. That drastically change the face of the draft in my opinion, possibly making the Lions have to look at Russell, not that I would.

Horn is a good signing by Atlanta, gives them someone with sure hands, although I think you need to actually get the ball within five yards of the guy to give him a chance to catch the ball.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've heard the Calvin Johnson - Raiders rumors, too. I think Russell's weight issues may drop him some in the draft. Unless Oakland trades Moss or Porter, though, they would have lots of receivers and no QB to throw the ball to them.

I just read that the Browns only signed Lewis for one year, so that does not completely eliminate Peterson from the equation. However, rumors are that Cleveland is very high on Quinn, and he also wants to play in Cleveland (which is pretty rare). I think the final piece to fall here is whether the Browns keep or release Droughns at RB (he's due a roster bonus soon).

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Quinns' recent performance at both the combine at his pro day(even though he did not run) is also solidifying him at the top(even #1). His coach(Weis) knew exactly what to show the NFL scouts and he didn't disappoint. I think Quinn should give him a tip from his signing bonus :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Giant exodus continues with K Jay Feely leaving.

There are also rumors that Willis McGahee will be a Raven soon as the Ravens will give up a 2nd round and a 5th round pick to the Bills to acquire him.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
McGahee to the Ravens is no longer a rumor. Baltimore gets him in exchange for 3rd and 7th round picks this year, and the Ravens' 3rd round pick next year.

Considering what little the Jets gave up for Thomas Jones, Baltimore paid a steep price.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
This is the most movement I can remember in quite some time, especially on the trade front. Millen looks like a genius for what he got for cry baby Dre Bly.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

There go 2 of the players mentioned as possible replacements for Tiki Barber.

Maybe they'll have to draft an RB after all.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Maybe I'm just a bit more in touch this off season but it does look like it's been busier than past years?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I don't think there are more free agent signings than in past seasons. However, there are a lot more trades happening. I think it's probably because most teams are managing their salary caps better now. In past years, there was little incentive to trade for some of these players, since it was well known that those players on the trade block had to be released anyway for cap reasons. So now, if you want a veteran on another team, the only way to get the player is via a trade.

Ron Dayne's still available. :laugh: Seriously, I'm surprised that there have not been any Corey Dillon sightings in New York.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Corey Dillon would seem like a good pickup for the Giants if they'd actually do something because nothing.

Another reason trades are picking up is more salary cap space. Not necessarily management of it better but just more of it after it shot up last year and this year considerably.

Scott is right that (2) 3rd's and a 7th round pick for McGahee is alot but given his talent level I don't think it's that bad.

McGahee is also signing a new contract 7 yrs 40 million with 15M signing bonus

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Danget, from what I've read here, the Giants are gona do terrible next year... I can't watch! *hides*

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dominic Rhodes just signed a two year contract with the Raiders. Since Lamont Jordan reworked his contract recently, this means Rhodes will probably be part of a "running back by committee" situation, just as he was last season with Indy.

That's one more RB that the Giants failed to sign as a replacement for Tiki.

Shane must be collecting all the money for this gig, 'cause I haven't seen a dime yet. :laugh:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Scott,
Just act like Michael Irvin and request more money from the management. :)

I saw that Randy McMichael signed with the Rams

and Safety Deon Grant signed with the Seahawks 6 yrs 30 million with more guaranteed money than Roy Williams just recently received. The other name safety(starts with a K whose name I will not pronounce) is likely headed to the Saints.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks