What's new

2005-06 MLB Hot Stove Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

One of the NY papers is saying the Yanks are close to closing with Matsui for something like $48 or $50-Million for 4 years with an option for a fifth year. I guess Matsui's agent is trying to get him some more...but, again, I can't see what leverage Matsui's got...since he has said all along he doesn't want to play for any other club.

Ya know, I was thinking his numbers were going down...but they're not. His BA has been climbing over each of the last few years to .305 this year. While his glove hasn't been as good this year as in year's past, he continues his games-played streak...and had 192 hits. I guess that would actually make him a fairly reasonable bargain for NYY.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I thnk it is a shame Ortiz did not win. He WAS the most VALUABLE player this year. No he does not play the field but look at the numbers. After the 7th inning on Ortiz was hitting 70 POINTS higher than A-rod!! He had 20 Homers that ties or WON the game. He is the essence of the word clutch......name a player in the last 20 years that has been MORE clutch than Ortiz?? A-Rod is a fabulous player (albeit a B*tch) and is a great fielder and hitter. If this is a "Best Stat award"....than yes he had a better average and hit 1 or 2 more homers.......but if you dig a little deeper you will see that his average late in the game is very poor and did not do it when it was most needed. Guerrero last year was an MVP........A-Rod.......I can't see it. Yes I am biased but I have SEVERAL Yankee fan friends and they all think Ortiz should have won too..........A rod is not as popular with Yankee fans as people may think......
A rod does not scare me when he comes up to bat in any type of situation.........Jeter on the other hand scares the crap out of me.....he is a REAL Yankee.......

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Take it easy, Evan. It's okay.

After all, ARod's still.....a loser!

;)

Just stumbled across an old VHS of a 1999 SportsCenter (hosted by Dan Patrick & Kenny Mayne) the day David Cone posted his perfect game for the Yanks. Yogi Berra day at the stadium (after Yogi's 14-year absence). Don Larsen throws out the first pitch...to Berra! Great plays in the field by Paul O'Neil, Chuck Knoblauch (!), Scott Brosius and even Ricky Ledee.

I gotta tell ya, even this Red Sox fan was a Yankee fan in 1998. That was probably one of the greatest teams of all time. That footage of the Yanks in 1999 reminded me of that season. I'm glad to report that the current-day Yankees aren't a patch on that team's a$$! :D

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Although I will never utter the words "I was a Yankee fan" ;)........I certainly agree with you that they had a special team that year. They played tough and hard and played like champions. The teams in the last few years will never be able to hold a candle to those teams. Yes these current teams have more hall of famers but they don't have the grit those other teams had. Listening to A-Rod today durring an interview accepting his "MVP" he said "winning 2 of the last 3 MVP's is quite a feat on my part.....". He actually said that!! Can you imagine a Jeter, O'Neil, Larson, Berra, Mantle, Gerigh....or hell, even Giambi saying that?? I know, I know........."let go of it Evan!!".....I'll try:b

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't know... $5M is a lot to pay Neifi Perez to sit on the bench for two years.

It's a lot to pay Neifi Perez for ten years, honestly, but Hendry and Baker love the guy.

I half-expect Nomar will end up in L.A.; I can see Frank McCourt trying to pick up everyone he's liked on the Red Sox. Supposedly he's also looking at Mueller (and, hopefully, Millar, so the Sox don't try to re-sign him out of loyalty or something).

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

I would not be suprised also if Nomar heads to LA. The interesting thing is that they made a good offer to Epstein.....which included a small ownership in the team too (like Billy Beans in Oakland). If Epstein takes the job (which I HIGHLY doubt) then he may have Nomar and Derek Lowe again!!
Do not look for the Sox to re-sign Millar though. The only way I can ever forsee hime coming bat is if he takes a huge paycut and is a bench player. He is very good in the clubhouse and I could envision him being a decent pinch hitter and spot starter in the field and at first. I doubt he will accept a very limited role however. As for Mueller, I think he has Minnesota written all over him....although the Sox are said to be interested in resigning him.
Another quick thing that happened......the Sox have contacted Brian Giles agent to see if he has interest in coming to Boston. Giles said yes so look for the Sox to join in a little bidding war with possibly the Yanks and Blue Jays........

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Cardinals want him too. They have the extra money since they got rid of Larry Walkers 15 million dollar contract.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
N.L. MVP to Pujols:frowning:

It's obvious that there extra points were awarded to the player who went to the post season. Pujols is a great player and certainly earned the award, but Derek Lee had better stats in nearly every category.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Andruw got shafted. Without him the Braves would NEVER had made the postseason again. Its because of him that we got our 14th straight title. Without him we would have landed in the cellar. Oh well..

Pujols is what? 25 years old? We're gonna see a lot more MVP seasons from him. He's just unbelievable.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Gotta agree with you Anthony........take Jones off of the Braves and that team is NOTHING......
I am a huge Pujols fan too but when looking at the most VALUABLE player......it had to be Jones......just like Ortiz should have gotten it too.....there I go again ;)......

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am ignorant of most things National League, but Pujols really IS amazing. If he stays healthy...he will be one of the all-time greats to ever play the game.

Don't know if Jones or Lee were robbed...but have I ever told you guys about the 2002 AL Cy Young voting? :angry:

:D

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor

Well, we call what we play over here "baseball."

What you guys play is some kind of weird deviation. A "baseball" player can play both offense and defense.

:)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

Oh, Anthony. I'm with ya 100%! I'm just so inundated with Red Sox/Yankees that I miss the forest for the trees.

Let's go back to real rules...please! First thing I'd do as commissioner would be to ban the DH. (It'd be okay. Ortiz' glove really isn't all that bad! :D )

Second thing...go back to two eight team leagues.

Third thing...bring all baseball back to the East Coast.

Fourth thing...bring back the reserve clause.

[Ducks for cover]Just kidding about those last three![continues to duck]

I honestly can't wait until the DH is eliminated from the AL. We should also go back to the alternating system for World Series home field advantage. And this may seem random...but whose dopey idea was it for there to be a fan vote on the last player selected to the All-Star game...and to make it a contest between two guys?

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
...Also, get rid of interleague play.

Why can't Congress have hearings about these things instead of steroids?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Pujols wins the MVP...there are so many swear words and other not so nice comments rolling around in my head right now. I invite the reader to mix and match a few of them, to achieve something close to what I am currently thinking but won't say for fear of violating HTF rules and rules of life.

Andruw carried a team that employed 17 rookies this year, 7 starting in 1 game...tell me that Pujols was surrounded by less talent or that the Cardinals would've been screwed over more than Atlanta if Pujols had gotten hurt as compared to Jones.

The award is not the best season statistically award...it is most...valuable...player...who means more to the success of his team than anyone else.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Color me disappointed as well in the NL MVP vote, but at least it was reported to be a close ballot. But I doubt Pujols will have to deal with the media crap ARod has to deal with for winning MVP in the AL.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It looks like their threats worked though. 50 day ban for the first offense, 100 days for #2 and lifetime for #3. That's pretty substantial.

Oh and the Dodgers got a new GM. They got Ned Colletti who was the assistant to Saban in SF. Next up a manager. It won't be Valentine after he signed a monster deal to stay in Japan. I'd guess Hershisher but that's a guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks