What's new

2005-06 MLB Hot Stove Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
With the season over and the world Champion Chicago White Sox having been crowned its time for everybody to start to build towards next year, so its time for an offseason discussion thread.

The Braves have named a new pitching coach with the departure of Leo Mazone to Baltimore. The new man is Roger McDowell. It will be interesting to see next season how big if any impact this has on the Braves.

The Dodgers are going to be looking for a new General Manager. That's probably a smart move on their part.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
The Sox.......Red that is....or should I say the REAL sox team.....(kidding, I was actually rooting for the W. Sox to win this way I could say the Sox won 2 years in a row :) )....anyway, The Red Sox are close to signing Theo Epstein, should be announced Monday. Manny asked to be traded (suprise) as did Wells. Rumor has Wells going to San Diego for a big bat in return. They want to resign Damon but I think he will be asking to much (Borus is his agent). I can see him going to the Cubs. I don't think we are going to see as many ground breaking moves by the Yankees.....they have too many unmoveable contracts to make a huge impact. I can see Manny going to Anaheim in a three way deal for a bunch of VERY good prospects and a bat in return.
Clemens WILL NOT retire. As much as he doesn't like to say it he IS big when it comes to pride and he want to go out on his terms.....not his hamstrings terms. I also think we will see the Devil Rays make a few moves. The new owner has already said he is willing to spend some cash and if you saw them play as much as I did they really are not too far behind the rest of the teams in the East anymore......I think they will finish 3rd next year in the East.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It seems like the Sox will say goodbye to Wells. If their rotation can stay healthy next year...and that's a big "if"...they should be okay with Schilling, Wake, Clement, Miller and Arroyo. Looks like Timlin is locked up, Foulke needs to be healthy. And, Papelbon looks great along with some young fellas waiting in the wings.

I hope beyond hope they keep Manny. Without him, Ortiz' numbers will plummet....and you lose Manny's production to boot. There's only three years left on his contract. You've let Manny be Manny at those prices this long...I'd let it ride. Even though he has "asked to be traded"...he'll play all right if he stays in Boston.

Looks like Mueller and Millar are both gone. Maybe Youkilis at third, but they'll need a first basemen. Keep Olerud for backup? He sure did impress this year in his limited role.

I bet Graffanino is gone. Thanks goodness Bellhorn is gone. Hope the Yankees keep him! :D And, as much as I miss Cabrera, they are locked into Renteria for a looong time. Hopefully, he shakes off the jitters of playing in Boston and settles down into the kind of player he can be.

And please re-sign Johnny Damon. Please.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
DePodesta was an idiot, and proof that a Harvard education is no guarantee of success, or even competency. Now can somebody please buy the Dodgers and fire the McCourts???

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

Giles - 2005 - 15 HR 83 RBI %301 BA
2004 - 23 HR 94 RBI %284 BA

Phil Nevin - 2005 injured for much of the season but still hit 12 HR and about 50 RBI
- 2004 26 HR 105 RBI %289 BA

Klesko, had an off year but is always a theat

I would certainly consider all of these players to have "big bats" and would take any of these 3 player for Wells....especially Giles. The guy just a few years ago was hitting over 35 HR a season. Plus playing in a very hitter friendly ballpark like Fenway he should do well. Plus SD has Dave Roberts....certainly not a big bat but someone who they love and would love to have back as a 4th outfielder. Wells also REALLY wants to go back to SD since that is his home and he enjoyed playing there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Giles is a free agent and this past summer, Nevin was traded to Texas while San Diego is a team without much hitting to begin with. So good luck in trying to get blood from a turnip, especially for a pitcher that will be 43 years old in 2006, and is probably playing his last season with a bad back and knee.

Crawdaddy

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

The Sox were talking a to SD about a possible sign and trade deal for Giles. This way SD gets a pitcher they like who is not a free agent and the Sox still get the player they want. Sign and trade deals happen quite a lot in BB. I would certainly not discount this from happening........I forgot about the Nevin trade so my bad on that one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

There is no such thing in MLB! This isn't the NBA. Baseball free agents can't be traded until June/July of the following year and since, Giles declared for free agency, I'm pretty sure that applies to him too even if he signed with his former team. Furthermore, Giles is worth a lot more than David Wells. Where you hearing these rumors, on WEEI?;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I've heard talk that the Red Sox might try to get Dave Roberts back for Wells, especially if it looks like Damon is unlikely to sign.

They needed a first baseman when Millar was playing. :)

Isn't Graffanino signed through '06? At any rate, the talk seems to be that Pedroia might be given a chance to win the 2B job in spring training. Not that I'd terribly mind Bellhorn back, either - he was pretty darn good in '04, even with the strikeouts. You do have to keep reminding yourself that strikeouts are better than double plays with him, but when he gets consistent playing time, he's a high-OBP, decent-power second baseman with solid if not spectacular defense.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Why would the Red Sox give away Wells when they can just sign Giles and give up nothing? The Padres would have to give up something and just giving up Dave Roberts or maybe a prospect to go with it seems rather humorous.

The Mazzone move was a bit strange as I didn't expect this at all but he apparantly has a history with their manager. This will be a huge hit for the Braves.

Meanwhile my Dodgers are in disarray. No GM, No manager and many moves to be made. I keep reading that they are leaning towards Orel Hershisher which wouldn't be a bad move but he is inexperienced. I wonder if the manager disagreement is what lead the Dodgers to boot DePodesta? McCourt wanted Hershisher while DePo wanted their scouting director to be made manager.

The biggest free agent will likely be Paul Konerko from the White Sox. The White Sox made a mistake in not signing him.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I agree the Mazzone move was a shocker to me. Very glad he did not end up with the Yankees! ;) I'm figuring the Yanks will end up with Joe Kerrigan in the role since he's got an inside track with Randy Johnson. I think the Guidry talk is silly.

And didn't the Yankees put Kerrigan on the payroll this summer as a consultant to work with Johnson when he was having some troubles?

I'd take Dave Roberts for David Wells in a heartbeat! :D (Every time Kevin Millar earned a walk this year I'd scream at the TV/radio..."bring Dave Roberts in to run for him!" :laugh: )

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I don't know that it will hurt. Bobby Cox is still there and means more to the success of the team than Mazone did. Plus, the Braves have good pitching throughout the farm system, so its not like Mazone is responsible for all of it.

Will things be different? Sure, but I don't think we can say for sure that it will be a huge hit for the Braves.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

LOL!! Nope....Peter Gammons actually made mention of it about a month ago......probably a little less. Giles is on his way down so a Wells plus a second teir prospect for Giles is not asking too much. I do agree though that it would make little sence but I am just reporting what I heard. Personaly I would rather keep Wells but in Boston....once you say you want out, you're out. They desperately do need a first baseman though and a lot of bullpen help. A possible rotation od Schilling, Wells (Maybe), Papelbon, Clement and Wakefield sounds pretty good to me. AJ Burnett is over-rated. They should add a quality starter though. I would like to see them make a run for Millwood myself. If they trade Manny you can bet they will make a run a Konerko but I doubt he will leave Chi. I would really like to see them hang on to Mueller. A very solid player.....should get more gold glove consideration than he will. I also would not mind them hanging on to Millar. I know that sounds strange but he would make a great bench player. He should not be a starter or even a platoon player. He is a good player to bring off the bench and pinch hit.....plus he is great in the clubhouse. I would LOVE Grafanino back!! The guy is a great fielder (even after the WS error) and plays the game right. Name me a better #9 hitter in MLB right now.....
Oh yeah, Boston is VERY close to a deal with Timlin. He is representing himself (no agent) and said he is not seeking a 2 year deal...he just wants to stay in Bos. Expect a deal to be made by next week. Also do not be suprised if Trot Nixon is involved in a trade at some point. His numbers have declined and he can't stay healthy. Damon stock has also gone down a bit. PLaying hurt was gutsy and we in Bos do appreciate it but his weeknesses shown greatly at the end of the season and slumped badly in the last 2 months of the season.
The Dodgers need huge help. The last 2 years they made some awfull moves.....kind of reminds me of some of the Dan Duquette moves in Boston.
I was a bit taken aback by the Mazone move. I was convinced he would either stay in Atl. or go to th NYY. The only good thing about Baltimore is that they are not afraid to spend a bit of cash. Mazone also is not interested in managing.....he said this in a recent interview.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Rumor out this way is that the Dodgers are going hard after Pat Gillick as GM, with Orel to be an assistant GM. Bobby Valentine is big on the Lasorda-McCourt wishlist for manager, too.

Though McCourt is still a f------- moron, this would be a decided upgrade over DePodesta-Tracy, if it actually pans out.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Latest rumors have Troy Glaus of Arizona going to Boston in a possible trade. Latest on Wells is him being traded to SD fo Brian Lawrence and Akinori Otsuka......they want Adam Eaton but I doubt SD will part with him. Personaly I think they can do better. Lawrence and Otsuka are decent (had terrible years last year though) but other than Wakefield, Wells was the best starter for Boston last year. 15 wins and once again more than 200 innings with hardly any walks and an ERA around 4.00 (if not for 2 terrible starts ERA would have been in the low 3's) I think the Sox can can someone a little better in return than many think. If he is not traded look for Wells to retire.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Glaus has a monster contract so Boston may already be preparing themselves to unload Manny. I can't imagine them ballooning their payroll to pick him up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks