What's new

2005-06 MLB Hot Stove Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Pirates said they are not for sale. That said if Cuban bought a team, he would indeed spend the money to make them competitive. I wish he would buy up a team like the Royals or the Pirates.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Aren't they also one of the teams that regularly claims to be losing money? That's got to be a hellish situation for Pirates fans, even with the pretty new stadium: The current owners say they're losing money, so upgrading the payroll to not suck is out of the question, but they won't sell to the insane billionaire who will happily do his damnedest to make them a quality team.

But, hey, it could be worse. The Chicago Cubs just signed Neifi Perez for something like 2/$6M, meaning he'll likely suck as the starting shortstop for the next couple years.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Ugueth Urbina was arrested in his home country and is going to be charged with attempted murder according to the AP story I just read.

Bartolo Colon is indeed the Cy Young winner and it wasn't even close.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The AL Cy Young award ceased to exist when Pedro Martinez didn't win it in 2002.

And before anyone asks....no, I can't let go.

:D

Noone has EVER been able to explain that to me. Highway robbery!

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
" I'm not sure the Yankees have had many long-term contracts really hurt them recently:"

I'm not really saying that the longcontracts they give out necessarily hurt them......they are the Yankees.......but I do think if they HAD an opportunity to rid themselves with some of the contracts that they got involved in in the past they would have in a heartbeat.

Rumor has it that the Angels are not interested in Many anymore since Manny refuses to DH.....as does Garret Anderson, which will give them 2 fielders for the same position. Rumor has the Mets involved again.....possibly Manny for Cameron and 2 very good prospects, Mileage and Kent. Personaly I don't think it will happen. The Sox want to re-sign Damon and he is not garnering the interest that I think his agent (Boras) was hoping for. Yankees don't want him and the Cubs are not interested anymore. Yankkes don't want to sign another 32 year old for 4 or more years and the Cubs are looking at other players. These were the 2 teams that would dole out the cash for him originaly but I really think Damons stock dropped drasticaly when his VERY weak arm was exposed later in the year. Yes he had a lousy shoulder....but he alway threw like an 8 year old. I personaly would love to have Damon back.....the guy plays his heart out and he is a GREAT lead-off hitter.....probably one of the top 3 in the league......if not the best (though it is hard to beat Jeter...I feel dirty saying that ;) )

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
You could make an argument for Garner, and keep in mind these things are voted on before the post season begins but still he's a compelling case. But when you oversee a team that has to use 17 rookies, and sometimes use a lineup with 7 rookies starting, and you still win your division that's hard to ignore too. I am hardly objective on this one, I think Cox deserves it, but Garner would've been an interesting discussion.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If the Red Sox let Bill Mueller go, how about Joe Randa at third? His name is on the free agent lists.

This year Randa hit .276 with 17 HRs and 68 RBIs. Not bad. And, apparently, he's got a pretty good glove.

Better than Youkilis? Why let Mueller go in the first place?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Dodgers are also looking at Randa it appears. They need a solid 3rd baseman and he would fit the bill as well. He does have a solid glove.

Given our VERY fertile farm system, I would expect our gm by committee to get trading very quickly.

Supposedly we're going to talk to Epstein the later part of this week. We may also hire from our own and take the chick GM Ng. Boston also wants to talk to her. She was under Dan Evans who I hated.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I was actually thinking that Wedge from Cleveland might get the Manager of the Year for the AL. The guy took a team of relative nobodys and brought them within a game of going to the playoffs......and almost caught up to the White Sox which is late August would have seemed impossible.

I just heard that the White Sox offered Konerko 4 years 52 million$ (13 Million per). A lot of money. I think the agent for Konerko wants to wait a bit though so the Red Sox (whom have talked to Konerkos agent yesterday) and the Yankees make an offer. Personaly I would not offer more than that and hope the Sox do not.....unless they trade Manny. Konerko is a great player but if you look at his season by season stats they are not as great as I think people make them out to be (other than the last 2 years).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=3747

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Konerko is a huge risk vs reward. 4 years seems like a reasonable contract but I bet he wants 5.

Konerko kinda sorta draws alot of comparison to Adrian Beltre would was a bust(as we predicted).

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about Cleveland's manager getting MOTY. I give him second for sure, but Cleveland had a team of nobodies and will-be-soon's last year. This year they just came together. It was a little earlier than I expected, but I was still ready for it. (I got to heckle Grady Sizemore at my bachelor party).

Ozzie deserved it. He lost one of his best players, Thomas, and still won the WS against a very good Houston team.

Now, I wish Houston hadn't gone. I liked company with the M's on teams that hadn't yet gone to the WS.

Lord knows they ain't going next year.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
If you're going to offer much more than that, you're better off not offering anything and not trading Manny: Manny at $57/3 is probably a better value than Konerko at $52/4

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Um, duh. ;) THAT's why I think the Sox keep Manny thru the end of his contract. Even if he's not completely happy staying in Boston, and even though he's Manny (bein' Manny and all that)...he is too much a professional, too good a hitter to turn in a bad performance. He's got a ton of pride. Quirky, but prideful of his abilities.

Even though they tried to move him, waive him...whatever...over the past couple of years, his contract now is actually fairly manageable for the team all things considered. I can guarantee you they wouldn't be able to replace him him with someone as productive.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

The issue though is that Manny WANTS to be traded and the sox have spoken to the agents about a trade and that they will explore one when they get a GM. The key word though is "explore". I agree that I would take his contract anyday over a Konerko and that contract. Unfortunatley it might not happen. If they do trade Manny than they should go after Konerko.....just not too hard like they went after Clement last year. I don't mind saving a bit of cash because this is a very weak free agent class....but next years is supposed to be very good so who knows.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Manny can want to be traded as much as I want {INSERT DESIRABLE THING HERE}, and I gather the Red Sox are obligated to explore it once he requests a trade, but it's not going to happen unless the Red Sox get equal value back. They're also not going to pay Manny to play for some other team (did the Red Sox ever include money in a trade under this ownership?).

Or at least, that was the deal with Theo in charge. Lucchino seems much more keen on moving Manny, so that may change.

Users who are viewing this thread