What's new

Y-Adapter for subwoofer cable? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Cas

Agent
I had recently purchased a subwoofer cable(http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=783&scat=806), but after reading the primer here on HTF, I am now aware that connecting the cable to both the L and R LFE outputs on the sub is a better connection. Can anyone recommend a good quality Y-splitter so I can split this cable? I know there is a monster model that includes the Y-splitter(http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=783&scat=806) but I waonder is this is available alone. If not, suggestions for othewr brands are welcome. Thanks in advance.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I use a Monster cable Y adaptor and notice no drop off in quality when connected to my Rhino sub cable leading to my Hsu sub. I bought them from a small shop, but think I've seen them at Best Buys. Some will argue that hooking it up to just the left LFE is just fine. The only reason I used the Y connect is because Hsu says it increases signal strength to the sub. To be honest though, I hear little to no difference, but wasn't really paying attention that much. Others might disagree, actually do disagree, but I wouldn't sweat going without a Y connect.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
I use the monster Y-splitter with rhino sub cable (B&W sub) as well. Performs well with no performance problems that I'm aware of. Check out Parts Express they may have some AR or Dayton Y-adapters that should work well.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Unless the sub manual recommends a L/R connection, a Y-connector is just superfluous. With one exception, as I understand it.

Let's say the receiver SubOut voltage is 2V (this is not unreasonable, since my AVR specs up to 4V). With a Y, we now get 2V at each RCA plug. (Like using two 120V extn cords out of wall sockets; the voltage balances out).

Since all subs are mono, they will need only a L or R input. But if we use both L/R we are boosting the voltage input resulting, I think, in a 3dB boost in resultant output. In the sub amp, the L/R are "reverse Y'd" or summed into one mono signal again.

Now we go to calibrate the sub, and lo! it reflects that 3dB boost, so we just adjust that back down in the calibration process with the sub amp/rcvr SubLevel controls as usual.

Here's the exception: Many sub amps have an AUTO ON feature that will shut down to standby when the input signal goes dormant. This can occur when the rcvr SubLevel is set too low; it is a voltage potentiometer after all. So two things to overcome the "inadvertent" Auto Off are raising the SubLevel closer to max and compensating by turning sub amp control lower, or adding a Y-connector to assure a stronger voltage input to the sub amp.

I recently needed some Y-connectors for another application I was trying with a CD player, so I ran down to Radio Shack and found the RS Gold for $2.50. Make sure you get the Female to 2 Male version.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
the easy to understand answer:

there is practically no post calibration difference between using a single input vs a splitter. if you use a y-splitter, the sub will sum the inputs resulting in a 3dB higher sub output that requires compensation by turning down the "sub out" on your rcvr by 3dB or by turning down the sub level on your sub by 3dB. either way, +3dB-3dB=0dB difference.

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I have a pair of Def. Tech.towers with the built in subs for the mains and they recommend using a splitter from the lfe on the Def. tech. going to the pre-amp and the power amp. I use the Monster "Y" splitter with RG-6 coax cable and it sounds great. I tried using the over-priced Monster Sub Cables and for the money, the Belden 1694A cable with Canare 75 ohm connectors was better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks