What's new

No Sound From My Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

blkgld87

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I have a Pioneer Elite VSX receiver and just tried to put a Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer on it. I only have 2 Klipsch KF-28 towers on the front. No center channel of rears speakers. Now I hooked up the sub with just the red cable from a RCA cable from the receiver, but I don't have a RCA Y Adapter from the receiver to the sub, so I'm only using 1 of the inputs on the back of the sub. I re-calibrated the audio with the Auto MCACC on the receiver and hear noise coming from the sub during the speaker tests, but once it's finished there's no sound coming out of the sub at all. I've looked at a few other people having this problem and have tried trouble shooting things like changing the speaker settings to small and changing the LFE ATT to 0 or 5 but haven't had any luck. I've tried adjusting the volume on the back of the sub itself but still nothing. Do I need that RCA Y Adapter for the back of the sub or should just 1 cable from the receiver to the back of the sub work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
According to the manual, you have it connected correctly. Make sure you've turn the Low Pass knob all the way up (per the manual). PSW10— NOTE: The PSW10 subwoofer does not have an LFE input. Instead, use either the L or R Line input (another hookup option is to use a Y-split cable and connect both L and R Line inputs). After you make this Sub Out connection, turn the "Low Pass" filter fully clockwise. This will in effect create an LFE input.
Since you are getting a sound during the speaker test, you should be okay. You do want the other speakers set to small. What material are you playing? Sometimes there's not a lot of low frequency material in use. I don't think this is your problem right now, but you should replace the R/W cable with a shielded cable.

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
You don't need y-adapter. AVR feeds mono signal to the sub. Feeding both inputs gives you 3-5 dB of extra gain. Without the y cable, any input will work on the back of your sub. To get bass from the sub, your reciever needs to be in any mode but the Pure Direct. Even if you have set your mains to small setting, they will default to large in pure direct mode and sub won't output any bass. Reciever will bypass bass management and send full signal to the mains. Also, raise your crossover point to 80Hz if MCACC returned the -3dB point at 40Hz after calibration. So to sum it up....either your avr is in pure direct mode OR you've crossed your mains way low. Try changing the listening mode to 2-channel stereo / multichannel stereo and raise the crossover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks