What's new

Using speaker cable to connect to my subwoofer (1 Viewer)

DanUK

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Hi guys. I hope you can help me please.

I need to hook my subwoofer (RCA input) to my AV unit (RCA out) but unfortunately I only have the following speaker cable running between the two. I cannot run any new wires as the wires were pinned, plastered and painted and I am in rented accommodation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YOYJEHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is there any way to use that speaker cable and 'add on' RCA jacks to either end? I have a subwoofer cable which I can split the ends off, but I just wanted to check that:
  1. it's worth trying - i.e. actually plausible
  2. whether the non-shielding will just create problems
  3. what the best way of doing this is... I know inside the subwoofer cable there are strands 'loose' which are the negatives (to be connected to the black speaker cable), and inside a white sleeve are the positives to be connected to the red)
    1. should these be soldered?
    2. or could I use a junction box such as: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ZWE7HW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks in advance!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, you’ll very likely get some hum. Signal cables are shielded for a reason (i.e. the “loose strands.)” You can’t solder large-gauge wire to an RCA connector, so your splicing scheme is your best option. The connector strip you linked will work fine.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DanUK

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Thank you. I can certainly give that a go. With the hum is there anything I could do to eliminate it? Thanks again!

DanUK

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Fingers crossed!

So, just to confirm:

I'm cutting the ends off an RCA cable and attaching, with the above linked connectors, to the speaker wire.

The loose ends within the RCA to the black speaker wire, the ones within the white shielding to the red. Securing with electrical tape and then fingers crossed?

Thanks,
Dan

DanUK

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Going to give this a go later. Is it worth trying in the way I've mentioned above?

Thanks again for the help :)

DanUK

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Another update for you :) I tried with the cable connectors and whilst there was no hum, the subwoofer simply didn't receive any signal. I used the channel test on the AV receiver and when it got to the subwoofer there was no output whatsoever.

Shall I pursue the wireless option?

Thanks again for your help!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There’s no reason it shouldn’t get a signal if the connections were done right. Might check them with a volt-ohm meter to make sure you didn’t leave one side open, or manage to get a short between the two conductors.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks