What's new

Xbox lacks Game Developers (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I am a HUGE supporter of Xbox, but even I will admit that Xbox's weakness is that it lacks Developers to totally kill other systems. I just want to know why this is? I heard Konami might leave the Xbox. Also Square Soft hasn't been a supporter to my knowledge. While Xbox has some huge developers aboard those people aren't putting their huge selling series on the system.
Capcom: Where is the Resident Evil series? Devil May Cry?
Konami: Metal Gear Solid? If rumors are true than there is no MGS X.
Square Soft: Where are you?
Namco: Heard they could stick with just PS2
I don't expect Xbox to get games like Mario and GT3, I understand why those are for those systems. But why keep stuff like the RE series and Final Fantasy series away from the Xbox? Anyone have any answer to this problem?

Gary King

Second Unit
Capcom: Where is the Resident Evil series? Devil May Cry?
Namco: Heard they could stick with just PS2
Capcom: Dino Crisis 3 is in production, and (according to a friend of mine), looks *amazing*. Shinji Iwata (the director of Devil May Cry) has commented on his disappointment with the PS2 and the degree to which DMC was scaled back due to the architecture, and on how he is looking forward to the Xbox. And any game that hasn't been officially announced yet could very well be in production for the Xbox.
Konami: If you were planning on generating huge revenues due to an upcoming product, would you jeopardize those by hyping a significantly improved version prior to the original's launch?
Square: See comments regarding Resident Evil above. But, if I had to guess, I'd say that they are currently at a millenial faire.
Namco: Heard Sony just pissed them off, which was one of the factors involved in the decision to make Dead To Rights an Xbox exclusive for a non-trivial amount of time.
Assuming anything at this point is a bit premature. Microsoft has been releasing information slowly, partly to ensure that all current attention on the Xbox isn't focused on Spring/Summer 2002 software, but on Fall 2001 software.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Well the X-box and the PS2 both took a big blow today as Capcom announced all new versions of Resident Evil including remakes or RE 1,2,3, and code veronica as well and Resident Evil 4 will be Gamecube exclusives.
You can read about it here:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Romier S on September 13, 2001 at 01:58 AM]
[Edited last by Romier S on September 13, 2001 at 01:58 AM]

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a list of XBOX developers (still growing)
biggrin.gif

1.Acclaim Entertainment, Inc.
2.Activision, Inc.
3.Aki Corp.
4.Alfa System Co., Ltd.
5.ALTAR interactive
6.Anchor Inc.
7.Angel Studios, Inc.
8.ARC SYSTEM WORKS CO., LTD.
9.Argonaut Games plc
10.ARIKA CO., LTD.
11.ARTDINK CORPORATION
12.ARTOON CO., LTD.
13.Ask Co., Ltd.
14.ATLUS CO., LTD.
15.Attention to Detail Ltd.
16.Awesome Developments Ltd.
17.bam! entertainment
18.BANDAI CO., LTD.
19.Barking Dog Studios, Ltd.
20.Bethesda Softworks Inc.
21.BioWare Corp.
22.Blue Byte Software, Inc.
23.Blue Shift, Inc.
24.BUNKASHA PUBLISHING CO., LTD.
25.CAPCOM CO., LTD.
26.Charybdis Limited
27.CLIMAX Ltd. Co.
28.Conspiracy Entertainment Corporation
29.Core Design Ltd.
30.Crave Entertainment, Inc.
31.Criterion Software Ltd.
32.Cryo
33.Crystal Dynamics Inc.
34.DATAM POLYSTAR CO., LTD.
35.Deep Red Games Ltd.
36.DigitalWare Inc.
37.DMA Design Ltd.
38.DreamCatcher
39.DreamForge Intertainment, Inc.
40.DWANGO Co., Ltd.
41.Dynamix
42.Edge of Reality, Inc.
43.Eidos interactive Ltd.
44.Empire Interactive
45.EON Digital Entertainment
46.Epic Games
47.Escape Factory, Ltd.
48.Fox Interactive
49.From Software, Inc.
50.Funcom
51.Gameplay
52.Gathering of Developers
53.GENKI Co., Ltd.
54.Global A Entertainment, Inc.
55.h.a.n.d. inc.
56.H.I.C. Co., Ltd.
57.Hasbro Interactive
58.Havas Interactive
59.HEADLOCK INC.
60.Heavy Iron Studios
61.Housemarque
62.HUDSON SOFT CO., LTD.
63.Humongous Entertainment, Inc.
64.id Software, Inc.
65.I-Imagine Interactive
66.image corporation
67.Imagineer Co., Ltd.
68.Incredible Technologies, Inc.
69.Infogrames
70.Interplay Entertainment Corp.
71.JALECO LTD.
72.Kaboom Studios Limited
73.Kalisto Entertainment
74.KEMCO / Kotobuki System Co., Ltd
75.Kodiak Interactive Software Studios
76.KOEI Co., Ltd.
77.KONAMI CORPORATION
78.KOOL KIZZ AMUSEMENT WORKS, Inc.
79.Kuju Entertainment
80.Legend Entertainment Company
81.LightWeight Co., Ltd.
82.Lost Boys Interactive
83.Majesco, Inc.
84.Mass Media, Inc.
85.MAX-INTERNATIONAL INC.
86.Melbourne House
87.MGM Interactive, a unit of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.
88.Microids
89.Midas Interactive Entertainment
90.Midway Home Entertainment Inc.
91.Monolith Productions, Inc.
92.Monster Games, Inc.
93.Mythos Games Ltd.
94.NAGI CORPORATION
95.NAMCO LIMITED
96.Nest Corporation
97.Neversoft Entertainment
98.Nihilistic Software, Inc.
99.NIHON CREATE INC.
100.NovaLogic, Inc.
101.OVER WORK'S Inc.
102.Pacific Coast Power & Light Co.
103.PANTHER SOFTWARE, INC.
104.Papyrus
105.Paradigm Studios
106.Pipe Dream Interactive
107.Qube
108.R A C
109.Radical Entertainment
110.Rage
111.Raven Software
112.Red Storm Entertainment, Inc.
113.Reflections Interactive
114.Ripcord Games, LLC
115.Riverhillsoft Inc.
116.Rockstar Games
117.Saffire Corporation
118.SCi Entertainment Group PLC
119.SHOEISHA Co., Ltd.
120.Sierra
121.Silicon Dreams Studio Ltd.
122.Simon & Schuster Interactive
123.SKY.Co., Ltd.
124.SouthPeak Interactive
125.Spike Co., Ltd.
126.Starbreeze Studios
127.T&E SOFT, Inc.
128.TAITO CORPORATION
129.TAKARA CO., LTD.
130.Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
131.TAKUYO KOUGYO CO., Ltd.
132.TDK mediactive, Inc.
133.TECMO, LTD.
134.TELENET JAPAN CO., LTD.
135.Terminal Reality
136.The Codemasters Software Company Ltd.
137.The Collective, Inc.
138.The LEGO Compay A/S
139.The Whole Experience, Inc.
140.THQ
141.Titus
142.TopWare Interactive AG
143.Treasure, Inc.
144.Ubi Soft Entertainment
145.Valve, LLC
146.Victor Interactive Software Inc.
147.VIDEO SYSTEM Co., Ltd.
148.Virgin Interactive
149.VIS entertainment plc
150.Volition, Inc.
151.Warthog PLC
152.XeNN inc.
153.YAGER Development
154.Yuki Enterprise Inc.
155.Zono, Inc.
Link Removed

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
quote: Yes, the XBOX *truly* lacks game developers [/quote]
LOL. That's a list of signed up developers. The Dreamcast, the Jaguar, even the Nuon, had huge lists like that.
It's the games they finish developing that counts in the long-run.
A lot of the list is bogus too. For instance, Rockstar, Take Two, DMA Design are all listed as seperate developers - they're all the one company, why list them three times?
------------------
Nothing In Particular
[Edited last by BrianB on September 13, 2001 at 12:25 PM]

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the Xbox lacks developers I think it lacks games, games that I want to play and that is why is will lack my money on November 8th, but GameCube will get my money on the 18th.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The X-Box is lacking developer support. There are a lot of developers, but they are not making big games on the console and aren't going to put series' like Final Fantasy on it.
I didn't know Dead to Rights was XB exclusive. I thought it was on PS2. If Sony pissed Namco off so much, why is Tekken 4 still on PS2?
Resident Evil Zero has been in development for a while (from N64 to GCN) and Capcom announced Dino Crisis 3 for XB a long time ago.
SquareSoft has announced FFX and FFXII as PS2 exclusives. FFXI is for PC, PS2, and possibly another console (XB and/or GCN). If they announce anything, it will be a remake of The Bouncer or a whole new game. I hope they make the Bouncer so they can add to it, improve the graphics, and put in real-time high def and 5.1, but the controls will probably suffer and the game wouldn't sell much, so I doubt it.
A lot of XB games (like those from Sega) are not totally exclusive. Some fall into a 6 month agreement, so they could end up on another console anyway. One big problem with the XB is its lack of exclusive games that are big titles. Nintendo has a bunch of first and second party ones, PS2 rules in its third parties, but the XB has a few here and there.
A lot of the companies listed are not big developers. Actually, I think the GameBoy Advance has more developers than the X-Box, though I can't provide numbers. Keep in mind that its quality over quantity. The PSX was great because of its great games, not its numerous crappy ones.

Gary King

Second Unit
As I said above... If I had to guess where Square was, I would say at a millenial faire.
Dream Factory (the creators of the ethereal Tobal 2, and the barely mediocre Bouncer) are already hard at work on an Xbox game - Project KX. The Alpha2 XDK test animations are some of the best real-time graphics I've ever seen. The good news about KX is that the director has completely abandoned the interactive movie route, and just wants to make the ultimate fighting game (his previous credits include Virtua Fighter 2 and the Tobal series).
A lot of XB games (like those from Sega) are not totally exclusive
And you're under the impression that PS2 games are completely exclusive? How many PS2 "exclusives" have had improved Xbox versions announced in the past year?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
And you're under the impression that PS2 games are completely exclusive?
A lot of them are. Final Fantasy X and XII are exclusive, the FF7-9 remakes are exclusive (I think), and there are other games that have been announced as exclusive titles. The XB has some exclusive titles, but none of the 100% ones are big titles (other than Oddworld).
I know that they just need to add some features to make a game no longer the same game and then they can port it, but I doubt SquareSoft would make a port of FFX or XII or any of the other big games that are PS2 exclusives.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, if it suits Squaresoft to release FF7 on the XBox, they'll do just that. Square will go wherever the money is, especially since they need all the revenue they can get right now.
With 'big' games costing so much to develop these days, it pays to spread the risk by appealing to the broadest market possible - multiple platforms.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't see how you can say that they need money. Square made enough profit from FFX alone to make the FF movie and another game. Considering that the FF movie has made around $100 million worldwide (not including Japan), I would say they are doing pretty good.
I doubt they will rerelease FF7-9 on the X-Box. They already announced them for PS2, and many people bought PS2s for the FF series. It wouldn't suit them to release them on the X-Box.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, if you don't understand why Brian is saying that Square needs money, do some searches in the finacial news and reading up on Square. The company has been in the news quite a bit (although I haven't seen anything in the past 1 or 2 months).
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
Say what you will about the XBox and lack of games.. but the reason i will be getting the xbox is for two games. plain and simple. Buffy.. and Raw Is War. thats all i need. in the end i know Bill will get the companies. i don't doubt the hand of god..
alien.gif

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
"I don't see how you can say that they need money. Square made enough profit from FFX alone to make the
FF movie and another game."
I was under the impression that Sony put up the money for the movie?

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
In question of Xbox(Bill) getting the companies. The PC companies yes, but the console based ones aren't jumping into his arms.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
You guys, its 2 months away from launch! how many companies were on the Sony Playstation band wagon before its launch? NO WHERE NEAR the amount Xbox has right now. The Xbox has the stongest launch support out of any of the console companies before they came to the ring... If its this good before Microsoft has even been proven as a good console maker, just think what it will be like in a year. Look at the big picture.
Dean

William Laughner

Stunt Coordinator
I HATE FANBOYS!
quote: I am a HUGE supporter of Xbox[/quote]
Really? A HUGE Supporter? you are such a HUGE supporter, then support it.
quote: Capcom: Where is the Resident Evil series? Devil May Cry?
Namco: Heard they could stick with just PS2[/quote]
Has it occured to anyone that is still more than 50 DAYS from the launch date of the XBOX? We basically know jack shit about the friggin thing at this point. There has been 3 commercials air in Canada...and they obviously aired in Canada because microsoft paid for them, they looked like shit, and didn't want to waste the money. The system isn't out yet and we are wondering where developer support is? Am I the only one that remembers what it was like to have a DVD player in late '97 early '98? Wait for 6 Months to a year and then complain about lack of support, by then we will know what systems will survive and which systems will die.
Quote From Jim Taylor's Official DVD FAQ
quote: When DVD players became available in early 1997, Warner and Polygram were the only major movie studios to release titles. Additional titles were available from small publishers. The other studios gradually joined the DVD camp. Dreamworks was the last significant studio to announce full DVD support. Paramount, Fox, and Dreamworks initially supported only Divx, but in summer 1998 they each announced support for open DVD.[/quote]
This friggin Fanboy bickering back & forth is asinine. If you are a true gamer, you love games...thats all there is to it. Console Wars are created by idiots that argue back and forth on who's console has better developer support...but guess what...Developer Support means JACK SHIT to a true gamer. If a game console has great games thats all that matters.
At this point I have my XBOX on preorder and can't wait for the 8th of november, I also have my Gamecube on preorder and can't wait for the 18th of november.
At this point in time Microsoft's XBOX is the MOST POWERFUL game console ever designed. It is also reported to be one of the absolute easiest to design for. There will always be "Rumors & Talk" but until the systems are on the shelves, there is no reason to speculate on who's system has better games.
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on September 14, 2001 at 05:54 AM]

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
As a "gamer" myself, I rather just buy one system than all of them. I want to see the Xbox do well(makes me a fan I think :) but with it losing out on some very important games it lowers it's chances. Also, I think we know a lot about the system, enough to talk about it. As for my questions concerning the games, that's pure curiousity. And please, drink less coffee or something, cause I never took a huge shot at you. Where does this anger come from? I find some of your comments overly abusive. As for the bickering, I love the games but I hate the business, thus, giving me a reason to bicker with others :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks