What's new

X-Files 3/17/02 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The 9th to the last episode of X-Files.

It was a little on the spooky side, and the unraveling of the parallel plots of getting Monica out from her apparent death (lack of brain activity after being side-swiped by a drunk driveR), and the Dr. Death angle made for an okay episode. It was definitely not great, but it wasn't super-hokey. The whole Doggett/Monica love angle heating up isn't what I wanted to see, but it's not the worse that could happen. And of course Doggett is a dog person, his name is DOGget, for Pete's sake!

I was sort of left cold by how clinical Scully was towards the "death" of Monica, she didn't quite give out much in terms of emotional response to this event.

It appears we'll be getting some more X-Files cases for the next week, and probably won't see any true wrap-up of the series until the end of April.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Spoilers, etc...

I was surprised how "stand-alone" this episode was. I started watching again to see how everything gets wrapped up, so was dissappointed. I really don't "get" what they're doing... so some hospital created a purgatory by accident where she communicates with the victims of an evil doctor? Right.

My guess is that it would have served the character/relationship development thing if there had been another season.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Although flawed, this is more like what an X-Files episode is supposed to be like, for my taste. It's got what I call a "mystery of the week":
What did the "Audrey"-character mean when she said she "finally knew who told her" to create the model hospital?
I saw/heard no clues as to whom she was referring. "God"?
I have a general question along those lines. I've never found a good on-line X-Files Website---but, then too, I've haven't ever mounted a deep search for one, either---something analogous to The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5. There's a rather large one run by some French person which I've seen several times. I don't consider that one very good.
I'd like to find one which would have a listing of such unanswered questions to X-Files "mysteries". And I'm talking here about unanswered questions from non-"mythology" episodes. The unanswered questions from the so-called mythology episodes don't much interest me (like the episodes themselves).
Any suggestions for information sources meeting those parameters?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
An OK episode. I generally am not that crazy about the episodes where the agents just happen upon some supernatural phenomenon in a way that has nothing to do with their line of work or past history. I had a similar annoyance with the episodes of the Kolchak:The Night Stalker series where they represented him as a "regular" reporter who just kept stumbling into one supernatural story after another. Maybe in the last episode they'll explain that Washington DC is located on a hellmouth. :)
Regards,

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm with Rex. I tired of the mythology/conspiracy arc a long....long....long time ago. I much prefer the "monster/supernatural occurrence of the week" episode. This was OK, and better than the past few weeks. Scully's baby? Who cares. This is why I've been cheered by recent news that if there is a new X-Files movie, it will be a stand-alone story, hopefully with as little reference to the whole "mythology" arc as possible.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well. I like the mythology arc. Although, personally, I would not mind the arc being tied up here at the end and then a future movie having little to do with it.

However, my biggest complaint is that how in the hell do you "know" that the world is about to be taken over by aliens and then still care about any other supernatural x-file. That has really been my only complaint for the last few years. One week, we are treated to the fact that all life on earth is about to be extinguished but then next week we are just onto another case.

C. Ryan

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Watching the previews for last night's show I wasn't excited at all. Like someone said last week, how many times has a character this season been in a hospital bed?

But I liked last night's episode. The idea of the Kevorkian, although a little unresolved (why did he do it?), was a bit creepy.

The thing that got to me the most was the evolution of Dopggett and Reyes's relationship. What struck me about it is that there's no guarantee they'll make it to the movie. At least not in any major capacity. So one of the things Carter does need to wrap up is their relationship. The last few minutes of Doggett dropping her off at her house, with them just standing there staring at each other with wil they or won't they? eyes. That was the episode's most suspenseful moment. I liked that.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The show started out so hokey and really terrible, with Reyes wandering around in the near-death hospital, it was just stuipd. Bleh.
But then they introduced the other aspects of the episode, with "Dr Death" and Audrey, and it made a lot more sense. It actually turned out a good episode in the end. :)
I liked that the relationship between Reyes and Doggett was explored a little more. It made me wish even more that they had given X-Files a fresh start this season, which might have saved it (IMO, of course).
The main thing I disliked about the episode was that Reyes was the coma victim. Since we knew she was going to be alright, it would have been better if a "weekly player" had been given the role. Of course, adding Audrey into the mix helped a bit.
Was anyone else reminded of the Lone Gunmen episode that also dealt with a "Dr Death"? They didn't deal with any supernatural aspects though.
/Mike

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
However, my biggest complaint is that how in the hell do you "know" that the world is about to be taken over by aliens and then still care about any other supernatural x-file. That has really been my only complaint for the last few years. One week, we are treated to the fact that all life on earth is about to be extinguished but then next week we are just onto another case.
Yes, that's it- that's exactly why I stopped watching. I wouldn't mind it if the show was a "monster of the week" thing, but not with the imminent destruction of the world in the background.

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator
If Doget ever got a dog, do you think he'd name it Dagit?

This was totally a stand alone episode. If the series kept to the same forumal, monster of the week type story, I think I'd be back as a fan. I totally agree, one week you know the earth is going to be taken over, next week you're going out for a beer with a coworker. I was hoping the last few episodes would try to link everything together, but I'm guessing we'll get more stand alone episodes and then the final 2 hour finale, which will leave just as much loose ends.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Without getting into the whole Kevorkian debate, considering the clearly non-euthanasic, but otherwise not clear at all motivations of the doctor, I would say that he is more like Dr. Giggles than Dr. Kevorkian. The character that was closer to Dr. K. on a Chris Carter show was played by Tucker Smallwood on an episode of Millennium from season two called "Goodbye Charlie".

Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Of the remaining 8 episodes, at least five are supposed to be dealing with tying up loose ends. That should leave three episodes that could possibly make some kind of sense. :)
Regards,

Brad_V

Second Unit
I thought the show had done that for awhile -- have one episode with conspiracy-theory this and cigarette-smoking-man that, and then the next week a stand-alone episode about some monster or whatever they happen to stumble upon.

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question guys:

The actress that played the hospital worker (Audrey?): Isn't she the same actress who sometime in the first 3 seasons played another role in the x files in one episode? Especifically, I think the show was called "Oubliette" and had to do with a lady who had a psychic connection with a teenage girl who was kidnapped. She had a psychic connection because she herself had been abducted by the same individual 15 years before. She could see and feel what was happening to the teenager. The abductor was this photographer who lived by himself.

Anyone remember this and is it the same actress. It really looks like her but with shorter hair.

Joel Endicott

Auditioning
Yes, you are correct - it is the same actress. Don't you hate it when the recycle actors. And this certainly wasn't the first time The X-files has done this.

I actually watched that episode (oubliette) not too long ago and it really made me long for the good old days when the show was worth watching. It also made me realise how much I miss them filming in Vancouver. That episode is very lush with the green forests and all. Great ep!!!

joel

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
...ahhh, if only the would recycle Bruce Campbell. Oh well, at least we get Burt Reynolds in a couple of weeks. :)
Regards,

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
Joel:

I agree with you 110%. Oubliette is a fantastic episode. It is of my all time favorites. Also the lush scenery in Vancouver is spectacular. I will be seing this episode again this weekend. I am trying to get my friend to like the X-Files.

One of the things I really like about the episode is that it plays very seriously. Not really any sarcasm from Mulder. And he shows a lot of raw emotion in wanting to help the woman who had been previously kidnapped.

Carlos

Joel Endicott

Auditioning
Carlos, remember the scene when the little girl escapes and starts running through the forest, while at the same time the older girl starts running away from Mulder, and they both collapse at the same time? I still get the chills everytime I watch that scene. The music by Mark Snow is especially tense during this whole scene.

Wow!! I wish they could make episodes like that again. And yes, there is something very serious about Mulder in that whole episode. Without mentioning it you can see how he is thinking of his sister when trying to find the kidnapped girl.

"Oubliette" is probably my favorite ep from that season.

joel

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Joel Endicott wrote:
has done this.
They used to do that a lot because, when they shot in Vancouver, Canada, they probably had to use more Canadian acting talent to qualify for the financial incentives that attracted them there in the first place, a much smaller pool of players.
Most of these people were no-names and had no recognition value among American audiences. I find, if they're good actors, they should "disappear" into the role and it ends up not mattering. Didn't bother me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks