What's new

WT-46807 Film grain vs. Picture grain? (1 Viewer)

Leroy

Second Unit
I've had my Mits 46807 for about a week now. I've started to notice that many of the DVD's i'm viewing exhibit grain of some sort.
I know that in some it's intentional(i.e. Three Kings, Saving Pvt Ryan) but watching American Beauty, LA Confidential, Comsipiracy Theory and others I've noticed, although the overall picture is clear and the colors true, there is a grainy look.
I'm wondering if maybe I'm just noticing this since because of the new Tele or maybe I'm just seeing things.
I've got my sharpness almost all the way down, my brightness and contrast have been lowered.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
1. When the TV really has HDTV resolution (spot size under 1/1000 the screen height so you can really distinguish one million or more pixels at the same time) the pixel structure of DVD can be seen.
2. The MPEG encoding process for DVD can introduce some graininess to solid color objects and background. Just sitting a bit further from the screen will make this less obtrusive.
Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Leroy

Second Unit
I guess I was just being too picky. Sitting a little farther away makes a bit of difference, but I guess I'm just noticing bad transfers now that I a m getting to see them in all their widescreen enhanced glory.
I just added a JVC progessive scan DVD player and the picture looks even better!!
Boy, it sure is easy to get spoiled by really good transfers!

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I went through this when I got my Sony Wega. I formally had a Toshiba TV and when I got the Wega, I noticed things I had never seen before, both good and bad.
Check outHeat, for example, it has one of the worst transfers I have ever seen after chapter 19. I never noticed this on my Toshiba.
I played Star Trek Insurrection the other night and I noticed, if you're up close to the screen, that it's riddled with digital artifacts. Finding Forester has them as well.
What gets me is that so many people think The Sopranos looks good. My Wega shows it for what it is. CRAP!
Fortunately most of the DVD's I view look good to excellent.
Jeff

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I too have had my 46807 for a week now and have noticed the same. Some titles you mentioned above are of the worst. If you want a real bad one check out Dungeons and Dragons
eek.gif

Rear Projection will bring out the best and the worst in transfers.
I have been told that a progressive scan player or the iScan Pro line doubler will really improve the grainy look. Another upgrade down the road.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon/

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
same here folks only i have a toshiba 40x81 and the pioneer dv-37,every film i look at no matter the quality has the grain,having just watched la confidential 2 days ago i noticed this problem even more,in the movie check out any seen with someone sitting at desk,look at the walls behind them,they are just dancing away
also anybody with a hd set do what jeff said get right up next to the screen,it is riddled with artifacts isn't it?
i have always seen this on my toshiba set,and wondered how people on this forum could sit as close as they said
try this if possible step back about 25 feet from your tv,it gets a whole new look absolutly crystal clear
my ht room is 13x14 i am setting 11 feet from my toshiba,after reading various places saying that the toshiba x81s have slight grain i was considering buying a new mitsubishi later this year,but now that i hear this i'm thinking every hd has this because of what allan mentioned
anybody here sitting around 10 or 11 feet from a 65" set

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks