What's new

Would the SVS be worth the upgrade? (1 Viewer)

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
I'm sure the Dr. is a very nice guy and wants to do nothing but save us money. Did someone really say that?
I'm sorry but turbo-charger sounds like something Mattel would come out with. A bit hookie sounding. Both are good but i've been reading alot latly about subs and at least 6 out of 10 says you cant beat SVS,they dont say HSU is bad,just hard to beat SVS and yes,i've seen just about everytime someone says how nice SVS's are,this copy crap comes up. The Dr. didnt come out with the first sub ever did he?

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Good evening gentlemen,

Let's all just relax for a while, and try to contribute in a positive manner, instead of taking shots at one another.

Any advances in technology is always a good thing. Sometimes you have to put brand loyalty aside and embrace exciting new developments in technology. Dr. Hsu has taken a step towards advancing ported subwoofer technology with the VTF-HO series, and consumers will be the ones who ultimately benefit.

Examing the physics, it is not hard to see why a VTF-2HO would approach the low bass performance of a TN1220HO, or why a VTF-3HO would approach the low bass performance of dual TN1220HO's. The ports in the first place are large 4" port(s) with huge flares, and the turbocharger extends the port length and allows one to effectively lower the tune without reducing available port area. This is patent-pending to signify that it is new and exclusive technology.

Mattel did not coin the name "turbocharger", it was actually suggested to us by Tonka. :)

Take care all

Sincerely,

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Examining the physics of port extensions reveals that more porting allows more potential output at Fb (the "low bass" you're referring to), basic reflex theory. There are still considerations of driver, amp, etc. that heretofore haven't been forthcoming. Still, I'm sure these new subs will be great, as all Hsu products tend to be, and actual tests should be very revealing.
I'm more interested in the "upgrades" to the existing subs, and the claims made for them. Any news?

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
It didn't take me long to get the feel for what most of the regular posting members prefer.
So it should be pretty clear that this forum has a very strong SVS flavor. You would hope that this platform stays non biased and that personal opinion is taken as it should be. Jack has Hsu actually made certain claims about these upcoming upgrades to their existing subwoofers?
I didn't think that Hsu have even stated what this upgrade/s will comprise of? (ie: new amplifier, new driver, new porting, add-on turbocharger)

The only claims that I have heard Hsu publicly claiming is about the HO series:
1: A VTF-2HO would approach the low bass performance of a TN1220HO.
2: A VTF-3HO would approach the low bass performance of dual TN1220HO's.

Internet speculation on forums about these upgrades is not a statement from Hsu. Unless I missed this Hsu product information release?

PC

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Good afternoon Jack G,

It's nice to see some people exciting about this, although we have not yet finished working on the new technology that will be offered to current users with VTF-2MKII and higher subs. The release of this information again comes down to Dr. Hsu's comfort factor with the production-readiness of the new technology. The only thing we can say for sure right now is that it should be a worthwhile upgrade option for those who decide to try it in the future.

Sincerely,

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator

I agree that all voices should be heard on these forums, but I have a clear perspective on why there is SVS loyalty here, as well as dislike, hatred, envy, who knows, for them.

I started out on the Club Polk board and saw post after post about SVS there. I finally got sick of it thinking "Why don't these people listen to something else for a change?" I thought they were the online equivalent of Bose lovers.

Well, I did my research, gathered all the hard data that I could find, and came to the conclusion that there was something to these claims of awesome bass for decent prices. I ordered a PB2+ and was floored with the improvement over my last sub.

I fully believe that many other companies, such as HSU make great products, but one must admit that SVS has released some dominating subs for the money. Someone may overtake them as the online sub leader, but I haven't seen anything yet that's close. Well, unless you want to talk DIY. :)

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
And i think thats what most SVS owners are saying until someone comes on and starts ragging on them for some unknown reason. Most SVS owners love HSU,but they like the SVS better.

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Hello gentlemen,

The reality is that, far and away, the vast majority of people do not get the chance to extensively test out different subwoofers in their own home, for various reasons of course. This means that they need to base their purchasing decision on a variety of factors. Ultimately, most people simply try to enjoy what they end up with, and pass on that sentiment to others.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
I'm sure your not saying most simply try to enjoy what they end up with,like a SVS and pass on the sentiment to others,right?

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Peter,

I’m glad to see you in here providing your usual cool-headed representation for Hsu. Thank you.

You bet, and enthusiasm is great! It's good for manufacturers, good for retailers, allows current customers to share with a larger community, provides potential customers with information to gauge the reputation and customer service of those retailers and manufacturers, and is entertaining for all of us to hear/read. Enthusiasm becomes problematic, however, when it causes individuals to state their opinions as fact, slander competitors, distort objective data, or worse, use that data when it supports their enthusiasm and dismiss it when it does not.

I have no desire to go into a long diatribe about cognitive dissonance (I would recommend Dr. Elliot Aronson's work on the subject if anyone wants to learn more) but enthusiasm, in my opinion, is at its worst when people *invent* reasons as to why their product of choice is the best. Fortunately we didn’t see any of that in this thread, but I'm sure every engineer involved with subwoofer design would take offense to the notion there is something magical happening with their subs that is beyond their control.

The STF2 may give Thomas more bass than he could ever want, but he said it was more bass than *you* (in this case Raj_asuarus) could ever want. That may be the case, but there's certainly no evidence to support it. He also said it is a "world class subwoofer". I take issue with the former, not the latter (assuming "world class" means better than the vast majority of comparably priced subwoofers).

The potential buyer has a lot to weigh, and customers' enthusiasm should be one of the considerations, but should not be mistaken for objective data.

-Robb

Edit: I actually wrote "service" instead of "surface". I should know better than to post on a Friday afternoon...

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I started out on the Club Polk board and saw post after post about SVS there. I finally got sick of it thinking "Why don't these people listen to something else for a change?" I thought they were the online equivalent of Bose lovers.
__________________________________________________ _____

I recall thinking along the same line. I owned a couple of Velodyne ct-150s and thought surly I couldn't be missing out. After purchasing my first 25-31CS+, I could then and only then, really understand.

>>>I fully believe that many other companies, such as HSU make great products, but one must admit that SVS has released some dominating subs for the money. Someone may overtake them as the online sub leader, but I haven't seen anything yet that's close.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Ahh, that clarifies things a bit, thank you. "Potentially approaching" the low bass performance of a pair of 1220's is reasonable. If we limit the scope of the claim to "coming close" to a pair of 1220's near Fb (where excursion is not a factor, of course, but port area is), I can certainly buy into it.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I am sure if one ends up with an Hsu subwoofer they too will enjoy it and pass on their sentiments to others as well.

Initially choice to go with SvS was made by an elimination of another company, compliments of their forum. I have been pleased with the SvS products and support and would recommend their products to others with enthusiasm. Currently I am lending a PCU to an audioenvy person.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I might add one comment here. If your thinking about getting a sub (any brand) that are substantially the same in the way they are built, there is only so much you can do with say one or two woofers and ports and a box and amp given size requirements. Therefore it is not as necessary (like speakers would be) that it each has to be listened to in your own home. I had several before... A large velo, and then dual NHT's that were pretty good. One of the forums started me thinking about the SVS and I called and chatted to Ron there. He actually took several call from and made some to me to see if he could get my older dual NHTs to sound better so he would'nt have to sell me an SVS... I thought wow.. He gave me alot of useful help which did some but now I really wanted to feel it and I told him that given my room specs and he recommended at the time the PB2+ which I have had for over a year now. Made mush out of the Vel and the NHT's could not even come close to the air movement. Am I a happy camper... you bet. I thought I got a 10K sub for just abit over 1K.
Also debating the HSU vs. SVS has been done to death here and over at the AVS forum for anyone that wants to look at all the arguments I suggest you go there and do a search instead of keeping this thread going the way its going. Personally I liked SVS was it because I heard it first... no it just happened that way.. Is HSU a great competitor of theres... Yes and thats good. Who knows I could end up buying one of the Doctor's one day. The main thing is a sub is a sub when you get into the big boys and I bet they all are about the same when built similar with similar insides.

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
Mike I have to disagree. There are some quite substantial differences in the way many subwoofers sound. The biggest acoustical problem area of each listening room is in the >150Hz low frequencies. These room problems and the different setups make listening and comparing subwoofers in your room the best choice.

PC

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

More true than not. Given that your room will affect all subs, an eq is a necessity to realize the measured potential of a sub.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
You guys do have a point but I think this guy is talking entry type of sub where the only thing that will make any if at all difference would be a ported or direct fire sub. Placement is still the key and more so in this price range than EQ gear. Now if your getting up there into bigger and more expensive subs I totally agree with both of you...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks