What's new

Wonderfalls cancelled? (1 Viewer)

Josh Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, against re-runs of The Apprentice and CSI. With Apprentice coming back new with only 2 eps left, did anybody really think this show had a chance?

Apprentice is a juggernaut right now and some genius decided to put a flailing show up against one of the final eps of a highly rated reality show?

To me, that just points to somebody wanted to get Wonderfalls cancelled as quickly as possible because even CSI got beat that night I believe.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
TrioTV routinely runs episodes of cancelled series under their "Brilliant But Cancelled" banner. One of the shows they're reported to be looking at now is Miracles.

M.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, instead of cancelling the show, FOX should just air it during the summer... when there's little competition.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
well this certainly is sad news. I just hope they are able to get fox to release a dvd set of the 13 episodes with perhaps some commentaries or something. If they atleast do that i will be somewhat happy.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Scott: thanks i will sign it. hey sorry to see your phillies lose to the pirates today. Actually i am a met's fan so it was enjoyable since everyone is picking the phillies to win the east :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I dont really watch TV and when I do its a movie channel, Discovery or Food or something like that.

Ive been meaning to try to catch this show and kept forgetting.

And yes, Im still mad about not giving Karen Sisco a chance.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
The way the nielsons system of ratings is today its useless and not accurate. Sure maybe 20-30 years ago it was effective but how about letting everybody get a say in what we get to see on tv today. There has to be some way they can add the nielsons or a new system to everyones cable converter or something to that affect. It's ashame a few people get to decide on what everyone watches.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's just statistical sampling. If they do it properly, those few people tell them what they'd learn if they had input from every last TV viewer. Only it's cheaper with fewer people and less data to process. And in the end, Wonderfalls would still be canceled because (apparently) not enough people watch it.

I was losing interest in Wonderfalls, so I'm not particularly annoyed that it's canceled. But I've lost other shows to FOX, so I feel your pain :). May Wonderfalls have a peaceful eternal slumber with John Doe.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I'd let the networks look over my ReplayTV records, but it's important that these things be done randomly. Allowing everyone who volunteers to submit their ratings would introduce new and different inaccuracies into the system.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Not so much.

If they could accurately evaluate everything (through some kind of device installed in every TV made, then it would be more accurate.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
As long as the Nielsens are accurate enough, within a certain margin of error, there is really no incentive to spend lots more to make them a little more accurate. Was there really a giant, uncounted audience for Wonderfalls? I doubt it. The simpler fact is that not enough people like the show. Even though the show was uneven, it says more about the viewing public in general.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Most of the shows people tend to love, but are cancelled for low ratings... it basically just reflects poorly on this country as a whole.

When American Idol and Temptation Island can earn higher ratings than a scripted well-written drama... there's something wrong...

www.zap2it.com has an article. The creator's are shopping the show to other networks right now. Most likely UPN or The WB.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Once again it's the fast food culture/mentality, at least in my estimation.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, I was just about to mention that in the post. My psychology teacher says that everytime he reads a story about any person who comes to the US from a foreign country... the first thing they say when they step off the plane is "Man... these people like to eat." and they can't believe how much FOOD and stuff we eat.

We're readily becoming the ADD generation... and I fear it'll just get worse with each new generation.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Have you seen the Triplets of Belleville? There's a not-so-subtle jab at the waistline of the United States.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I could see the show doing well on WB. Can UPN back it up monetarily since it has to do some CGI for each episode?

I'd love to have a Nielsin box. I know TiVo reports commercial viewing habits during the SuperBowl - do they ever report statistics to networks? If they did I'd be a bit more thoughtful about what shows I support.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I realize this is a "Wonderfalls" love fest, and I had high hopes for it too, but I don't think its cancellation reflects poorly on the cultural well-being of America.

It may show that people need a character they can get behind and root for. I wonder how many viewers were like me: found the show intriguing but were put off by the lead, Jaye. It's hard to get into a story where the lead doesn't interest you. At best, it takes a while for the character to develop and for people to develop an interest in the anti-protagonist. But with so many other entertainment options available, people may not be willing to wait for it. And FOX doesn't seem interested in coddling new shows (anymore?).

I wish new shows had more time. Firefly didn't do it for me, but it could have developed into some awesome that I would have watched by its 3rd season. I loved John Doe, and was very frustrated by its cancellation. Perhaps Wonderfalls could have become great with more episodes or seasons.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
People with DVRs are probably not representative of the general population, although (a) they may represent a desirable demographic in their own right and (b) that may change eventually. If the networks could get ratings that were just as accurate for less money (or some balance thereof), they'd switch. Remember, the networks are in the business of selling ads to make a profit. Putting on quality entertainment, supporting artists and the industry, and serving the public good are secondary considerations (if that).

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Not me; she's cute and when the show was working, pretty funny, as was the rest of the cast. The most obvious counter-example is Seinfeld: all the leads were essentially bad, shallow people. And that show took almost two years to catch on. So yeah, maybe it does take time, time which the networks are no longer willing to invest. Worse yet, when the indicators are heading in the wrong direction, they are quick to cut their losses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks