Fox: Wonderfalls on DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Sliger, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

I'm jumping out of the gate quickly here, but someone needs to start the ball rolling. With the cancellation of the 20th Century Fox produced TV series "Wonderfalls" yesterday, I hope that Fox Home Entertainment will consider releasing a DVD set of the show. The critics loved it, but Fox Television didn't have enough patience to let it find a broadcast audience. Promotions stating "From the Makers of Angel, Firefly, Dead Like Me, Malcolm in the Middle, etc.", "...with 9 unaired episodes" and listing quotes from the hundreds of glowing reviews should help draw in the casual DVD buyer who never heard about the show. Flyers in upcoming "Angel" DVD sets wouldn't hurt either. As you saw with the Firefly DVD sales, there is an audience for this sort of intelligent drama and comedy on DVD.

Peter Staddon, any encouragement to your bosses on this matter would be highly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Amy M

Amy M Auditioning

I'd like to second this. I've visited a number of Wonderfalls-related messageboards these last couple days, and I've seen over a hundred people state they would definitely buy DVDs were they released -- and this was before word even got out to most people, including most local stations. People have been calling 20th and FOX all day today, requesting DVD sets and bemoaning the show's cancellation. They're writing letters and postcards, voting for the show at the TV Shows on DVD website (it's gone up in rank from 700-something to the 100s overnight), and just generally supporting this idea. There's definitely demand for these DVDs.

3. Jenn_M

Jenn_M Auditioning

When I found out the show was cancelled (April 5th), I went over to PetitionSpot.com and found that someone had already started a 'Save Wonderfalls' petition. At that time, there was a little over 2,500 signatures on it. In less than a week's time, it has grown to include over 11,000 signatures. There are messageboards popping up everywhere about what people can do to see the show again, whether it be on a different network, or on a season Dvd.
    Critics all over the country praised this little gem of a show, but unfortunately that was not enough to show FOX that it was worth keeping. Does 11,000 signatures show them anything? I don't know. I certainly hope it does. I loved the show, even after only four episodes and would pay almost any price for a Dvd of all 13 episodes. Press kits (including shirts, posters, Dvds of the first two episodes and a little ceramic smoosh-faced lion) are selling for more than $400US.
    What can I say? I know what I like, and fight for it when it's taken away.
    If you have any suggestions for supporting the show, please PM me.

UPDATE: The petition is also the most active one on the entire site, easily surpassing the 'Save Arrested Development' petition by nearly 9,000 votes!

4. samuel-savewndr

samuel-savewndr Auditioning

I agree this show at the very least should be brought to dvd so we can at least see all 13 episodes. To me dvd is just not good enough I want more episodes and another network to pick up this incredible show.

5. Nick>M

Nick>M Auditioning

I must agree that I loved this show very much. I would run out and buy this DVD box set, if not pre-order it from an online store, the day it was released, or announced.

I also must agree with samuel-savewndr, this show only coming to DVD does not seem like enough. It would be fantastic if another network picked it up! I know I, and many of my friends, would watch this if it moved to another network.

6. Patti Martinson

Patti Martinson Auditioning

I was in total shock when Wonderfalls was cancelled. My love for the show grew with each episode. I would like to see the remaining episodes and hope that Fox would re-air the episodes or that another cable/network channel picks up show. If neither of those pan out, a dvd would be very much appreciated.

7. Matt:Mitchel

Matt:Mitchel Auditioning

If FOX were to release this DVD set, I would definitely purchase it -- I would even pre-order it from foxstore.com as soon as it was listed.

8. BrianZ

BrianZ Auditioning

I would definitely purchase it as well. The only new show this year I cared for. I've found myself watching less and less of TV, and it doesn't look like next year this will get any better, which means rewatching stuff on DVD. Wonderfalls was a brief bright spot that I'd love to own.

9. Tifaine_C

Tifaine_C Auditioning

I was very much in shock when I found out the show had been cancelled so quickly. I very much want to see the rest of the episodes and would definately buy the DVD if it were to come out.
    Wonderfalls was my favourite show this year, I looked forward to it more than any other show I watch, including the one's I've been watching for years. It was so disapointing to see it go so quickly.

10. JasonQG

JasonQG Auditioning

This show needs to be released on DVD. From the sounds of it, there's a nice story arc starting with episode 5 that would make for a satisfying DVD experience. I need my Wonderfalls fix!

11. Chiara

Chiara Auditioning

Yes, I've read all the scripts that are available and am dying to see it on screen! Would love a DVD set. But would love said DVD set better if the show could first air on a network and have a chance at a second season, and then DVD set comes out. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Ryan_Guah

Ryan_Guah Stunt Coordinator

I completely agree. I'm from Niagara Falls, NY, and having the show set here is what drew me to it. It was such an accurate representation of how a lot of us go about our lives (the sarcastic bitchy comments, they're so us. [​IMG] ). I was hooked on this show from the very first episode, and would LOVE to see it released on DVD. Maybe we'll get a pick-up somewhere too, like the WB?

13. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    You should check out www.savewonderfalls.com. They have a nice forum there now. Also, Bryan Fuller wrote a letter that says that chances are pretty good that a cable network would pick up the show.

They have postcards that you can print and mail to networks. They also have a lot of contact information for many different networks.

This is only the second show that I've ever watched religiously. I was very upset when it was cancelled. I am dying to find out what happens in the 9 episodes that I have not seen.

14. Sasja

Sasja Auditioning

I'd love to get a chance to check out Wonderfalls! Being in Europe, I doubt I'll get it if it's not released on dvd. Though who knows - all Firefly eps were broadcast here, for instance.

Great shows on dvd rocks, and I'm looking very much forward to Wonderfalls - I hope to see it announced soon [​IMG]

15. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Since it was one of the few joys of the season and it was cancelled, I would love to have this in my collection.

16. John W L

John W L Agent

TV Shows on DVD.com is reporting that Save Wonderfalls.com says Fox is interested in releasing the 13 episodes on DVD, and that the release would come around Christmas[​IMG] There's definitely a trend here: "Keen Eddie," "Firefly," and now "Wonderfalls" may join the list of superb shows quickly canceled by Fox but going to DVD by popular demand. (How much longer until we get "Andy Richter Controls the Universe" and many many others killed by Fox?)

Perhaps HBO, Showtime or some basic cable networks will take notice of the smaller-yet-devoted audiences for such quality shows -- and work with the producing studios to keep them from Fox in the future. Sci-Fi, USA, FX, or Comedy Central might well have given these four at least 13 episodes.

17. Sasja

Sasja Auditioning

Thanks, that sounds great. Though I suppose it means that Wonderfalls wasn't picked up by anyone else... [​IMG]

18. geneD

geneD Auditioning

I saw the first Wonderfalls episode quite by accident and gave up going out on Friday nights. It was the most intelligent, witty and zen program on TV. Canceling it was the dumbest thing I've seen since Paramount canceled Star Trek. Maybe there are sponsors that would appreciate advertising to an intelligent, discerning, over-educated and mostly well-employed (albeit longing to be happier, even if under-employed) audience. I want the DVD and more episodes.

19. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

NBC cancelled Star Trek (and not Paramount).

20. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

NBC cancelled Star Trek (and not Paramount).