What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

3D Will the 3 Stooges shorts Pardon my Backfire and Spooks be released in 3D? (1 Viewer)

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Sa5150 ;

I don't understand your dislike of Sony - they have been exemplary in restoring and preserving their entire short subject library of Columbia comedies including many non-Stooges titles. They can't possibly look any better than they do under Grover Crisp's leadership. You can buy their entire Columbia shorts output along with a bonus disc of solo Shemp comedies for less than the price of two Criterion discs. Aside from not being on blu, what is there to complain about ?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Sa5150 ;

I don't understand your dislike of Sony - they have been exemplary in restoring and preserving their entire short subject library of Columbia comedies including many non-Stooges titles. They can't possibly look any better than they do under Grover Crisp's leadership. You can buy their entire Columbia shorts output along with a bonus disc of solo Shemp comedies for less than the price of two Criterion discs. Aside from not being on blu, what is there to complain about ?

I only posted one thing ever about sony , not that big of a deal . I think that could do much better , there going to repackage the dvds over and over , why not just do blurays ? .

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Knuckleheads in Canada have a rare opportunity to see both Spooks and Pardon My Backfire in digital 3D as Cineplex's Event Cinema division presents a program of Stooges shorts featuring both of the the 3D shorts as well as a selection of early Curly classics in beautifully restored DCP !!

Locations and dates :

The Park Theatre
Vancouver
BC
Friday, September 30 Sunday, October 2. Monday, October 3 Thursday, October 6

Cineplex Odeon Eau Claire Market Cinemas
Calgary
AB
Monday, October 3

Cineplex Odeon South Edmonton Cinemas
Edmonton
AB
Friday, September 30 Sunday, October 2. Monday, October 3 Thursday, October 6

Cineplex Cinemas Parklane
Halifax
NS
Friday, September 30. Sunday, October 2 Monday, October 3 Thursday, October 6

Cineplex Cinemas Yonge-Dundas and VIP
Toronto
ON
Friday, September 30. Saturday, October 1 Thursday, October 6

Cineplex Odeon South Keys Cinemas
Ottawa
ON
Friday, September 30. Sunday, October 2 Monday, October 3 Wednesday, October 5

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I see festivals here in the USA but 3D is not mentioned. One of them mentions the years till 1951 so no 3D.

3.jpg

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Wow what a way to start a Saturday! (see Twilight Time thread). I wonder if they will offer the shorts audio only as well (not an issue with me but would be great)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
They're included on The Mad Magician disc.
Indeed, both Three Stooges 3-D shorts are being released with Twilight Time's THE MAD MAGICIAN (1954) Blu-ray, currently scheduled for release January 17, 2017! Hopefully, SPOOKS (1953) will finally be available in its original sepia tint?

This makes me wish we were equipped for 3-D Television, but we simply don't have the available funds, and my wife HATES 3-D, besides!

Both 3-D Stooges titles will also have the 2-D versions included.

http://www4.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/32373/THE-MAD-MAGICIAN-3D-2D-1954/

http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/mad-magician-the-3d-blu-ray/

CHEERS! :)

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Indeed, both Three Stooges 3-D shorts are being released with Twilight Time's THE MAD MAGICIAN (1954) Blu-ray, currently scheduled for release January 17, 2017! Hopefully, SPOOKS (1953) will finally be available in its original sepia tint?

This makes me wish we were equipped for 3-D Television, but we simply don't have the available funds, and my wife HATES 3-D, besides!

Both 3-D Stooges titles will also have the 2-D versions included.

http://www4.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/32373/THE-MAD-MAGICIAN-3D-2D-1954/

http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/mad-magician-the-3d-blu-ray/

Hopefully it does not sell out till they do a sale , TT normally will have a $10 off deal a few times a year . I won't spend $35 shipped for any 1 movie . Wish they would've just done the three Stooges on bluray already . These 2 shorts now will be the first time the boys are in 1080p (shorts only) . I sure hope they do the 3D in the original sepia tint like others have talked about .

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Hopefully it does not sell out till they do a sale , TT normally will have a $10 off deal a few times a year . I won't spend $35 shipped for any 1 movie.

Then you surely would have been flailing in the VHS and laser disc era. Adjusting for inflation, almost any laser would have cost you way-y more than $35.00 (closer to $50.) in the late 80's and early 90's. And even if a 3D release of MAD MAGICIAN had been available then, it would have to have been anaglyphic (as in: lousy). Plus, the two Stooges shorts (In the late 60's, I paid about $15.00 -- about $104.00 now! -- for a truncated, 9-minute edition of SPOOKS alone on Super 8mm, also anaglyphic) would have been released separately for God knows how much. I don't know if you realize how spoiled we are about prices for such stuff on Blu-ray. Ask any film collector over the age of 50 whose libraries once consisted of VHS and laser and RCA CED discs, and they will attest that today's Blu-rays, which offer incredible PQ and bonus materials and minimal shelf space requirements, are a profoundly great value.

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Sony's 3D DCP of SPOOKS is black and white, so unless Twilight Time do some modification of their own of the digital files , that's what we'll get.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Sony's 3D DCP of SPOOKS is black and white, so unless Twilight Time do some modification of their own of the digital files , that's what we'll get.

As Sepia-Tone is a post add-on, I really don't understand the desire for it.
I don't think anyone actually shot with sepia-tone in mind. How would you?
Why mess up a nice Black & White image?

I can understand the desire for it as an option, but I really don't like sepia-tone other than in old silent films where sepia meant one time of day and blue or other shades or tones meant another time of day.

Anyway, I agree as an option that if would be nice, but I always thought sepia-tone looked like old 8mm home movies that someone had stored in their hot attic.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
As Sepia-Tone is a post add-on, I really don't understand the desire for it.
I don't think anyone actually shot with sepia-tone in mind. How would you?
Why mess up a nice Black & White image?

I can understand the desire for it as an option, but I really don't like sepia-tone other than in old silent films where sepia meant one time of day and blue or other shades or tones meant another time of day.

Anyway, I agree as an option that if would be nice, but I always thought sepia-tone looked like old 8mm home movies that someone had stored in their hot attic.
For me, it boils down to whether or not sepia was used in the original Theatrical release, which based on Bob's above post, most certainly was. In my opinion, when applied properly, sepia looks fine.

Since we don't have a 3-D option, whether sepia is used for SPOOKS! (1953) would be an additional factor that could sway me into buying this disc, especially as in Canada, we tend to get fewer options to save $$ for Twilight Time releases. It's not a question of value, but my rather limited monthly home entertainment budget, which is actually (temporarily) zero, at present!

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Sepia was usually part of the production from day one so the DP knew it would be seen that way.

View attachment 35794

My ignorance here, but what would the DP do differently for filming a black & white movie that he/she knew would be released in sepia tone?
I understand possibly lightening the release prints, but I don't know what the DP would have in mind while shooting.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Then you surely would have been flailing in the VHS and laser disc era. Adjusting for inflation, almost any laser would have cost you way-y more than $35.00 (closer to $50.) in the late 80's and early 90's. And even if a 3D release of MAD MAGICIAN had been available then, it would have to have been anaglyphic (as in: lousy). Plus, the two Stooges shorts (In the late 60's, I paid about $15.00 -- about $104.00 now! -- for a truncated, 9-minute edition of SPOOKS alone on Super 8mm, also anaglyphic) would have been released separately for God knows how much. I don't know if you realize how spoiled we are about prices for such stuff on Blu-ray. Ask any film collector over the age of 50 whose libraries once consisted of VHS and laser and RCA CED discs, and they will attest that today's Blu-rays, which offer incredible PQ and bonus materials and minimal shelf space requirements, are a profoundly great value.

I can't afford $35 for a movie .

Last edited:

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I can't afford $35 for a movie .

Generally, I agree with you, but on some films I am willing to stretch. The new and excellent Blu-ray of "The Three Worlds of Gulliver" is one, and "The Mad Magician" with Three Stooges shorts combo is worth it to me.

There are other films that I like but would not pay 2 dollars to own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks