What's new

3D Will the 3 Stooges shorts Pardon my Backfire and Spooks be released in 3D? (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
It appears to me that Sony is doing away with the separate Volume Cases. Perhaps they're going with the Spindle mode on this?

On the whole, this is less for more, which is seldom an attractive option. I'm glad I have my 20 DVD Box Set!

CHEERS! :)

I welcome a slim version and it can be done right ...but will it ? ( just do blurays :) ) I just hope it's not spindles and will wait for a sale , I also hope it has the 3d versions or the 2 shorts . I sold off my other set. Might of screwed my self :( on the 2 shorts and will have to track them down on ebay. I don't really need the bonus treasures ,but that is like $7 on ebay if I want it again .

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Doesn't TT have "Gun Fury" on the schedule for 2017? These shorts would be a nice addition to it

I think its Mad Magician that would be the next 3D title from TT. I don't think the stooges 3D shorts played with it.

pardon7-jpg.30866

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I welcome a slim version and it can be done right ...but will it ? ( just do blurays :) ) I just hope it's not spindles and will wait for a sale , I also hope it has the 3d versions or the 2 shorts . I sold off my other set. Might of screwed my self :( on the 2 shorts and will have to track them down on ebay. I don't really need the bonus treasures ,but that is like $7 on ebay if I want it again .
In my opinion, NOT issuing these on Blu-ray in 2016 IS a mistake all by itself! In addition, there is a higher price point for less content (Though I admit, the pricing is still quite reasonable!); how the DVDs will be housed is as yet unknown; and finally, will the 3-D versions of PARDON MY BACKFIRE and SPOOKS! be reinstated?

I'll be sticking with my bulky, but satisfyingly full 20 DVD collection, which includes my inserted Volume 7 set (Bought separately at a Brick & Mortar before I got the entire set!) that includes the 3-D shorts! :)

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
This set is coming out without any fanfare what so ever . I have a bad feeling that it will be spindle with no 3d . Probably going to replace the ultimate edition which has all ready removed those 3d shorts . I guess from reading a bit about them , The picture done for the 3d part is pretty brutal . I remember watching them with the glasses and saying the picture quality is awful on these 2 shorts . The sepia tone is completely off and there fuzzy . Hope Sony gets it right on the mysteriously missing bluray set that has yet to be talked about other then a few of us ,No one is even asking which is a bad sign . For sony and columbia the boys have been a money maker . Something the stooges never really got to enjoy . Since at least all the curly shorts have been remastered in HD , Not sure about the rest . Blurays would be pretty simple with a just a little restoration is all I /we ask for .... Finding the apparent missing scenes and restoring them would be great great news . Maybe that is what the hold up is and there waiting on finding everything . It's just strange there is no talk about locating missing footage like Universal sending out word that they need lost footage for the marx brothers movies .

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If the nearly unwatchable anaglyph versions of the two shorts have been dropped, who cares? Let's just hope for the polarized versions in the near-future.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Maybe Sony is thinking of including them (Blu-ray 3D not anaglyph) in a Blu-ray box set of Three Stooges shorts?

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Hi Sa5150 :

Please elaborate on the missing scenes from the Stooges two-reelers. The Marx Brothers films that were pre-code were edited for reissue but the Stooges shorts were all made under the Production Code, and likely never reissued as Columbia were still making new ones at the rate of 8 -10 titles per year.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I would have to research more on that , Its just a few things i have read around . Like the end of one boxing match were curly knocks everyone out and it's been edited ? I think in a episode where there golfing something was cut out or a clip that is lost now (how could they lose something that has been aired many times ) ? I'm sure someone knows a lot more then myself on this matter .

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Hi Sa5150 :

Please elaborate on the missing scenes from the Stooges two-reelers. The Marx Brothers films that were pre-code were edited for reissue but the Stooges shorts were all made under the Production Code, and likely never reissued as Columbia were still making new ones at the rate of 8 -10 titles per year.

Not really understanding what that means . are there stuff that we have never seen from the stooges ?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My understanding has been that the negatives for all of the Stooges Columbia shorts were perfectly preserved in optimal conditions, so I have no idea what scenes might be missing in any of these?

At this point, pending any documentation, I'm inclined to think there is no lost footage to search for, at least where the 190 Columbia shorts are concerned, and that's why no Universal like search has ever been conducted for these.

Could it perhaps be that any previous report of missing scenes date back before the original negatives were sourced, the results of which we are now enjoying on the 8 Volume Sony releases?

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Sa5150 :

You're the one who suggested there are scenes we've never seen ("apparent missing footage" ), so that's why I asked for the examples.

You referenced the Marx Brothers films and Universal searching for the cut footage that was removed for re-releases several years after the original runs. The cuts were for material that was considered too risqué under the production code that was brought in in the mid-thirties as a form of industry self-censorship.

My point was that the Stooges films would never had had to be cut for censorship reasons ( unlike a couple of early Marx Bros films) as they were all made after the code had been established. If they were never cut, there's less chance any material would be lost or missing.

Last edited:

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
My understanding has been that the negatives for all of the Stooges Columbia shorts were perfectly preserved in optimal conditions, so I have no idea what scenes might be missing in any of these?

At this point, pending any documentation, I'm inclined to think there is no lost footage to search for, at least where the 190 Columbia shorts are concerned, and that's why no Universal like search has ever been conducted for these.

Could it perhaps be that any previous report of missing scenes date back before the original negatives were sourced, the results of which we are now enjoying on the 8 Volume Sony releases?

Sa5150 :

You're the one who suggested there are scenes we've never seen ("apparent missing footage" ), so that's why I asked for the examples.

You referenced the Marx Brothers films and Universal searching for the cut footage that was removed for re-releases several years after the original runs. The cuts were for material that was considered too risqué under the production code that was brought in in the mid-thirties as a form of industry self-censorship.

My point was that the Stooges films would never had had to be cut for censorship reasons ( unlike a couple of early Marx Bros films) as they were all made after the code had been established. If they were never cut, there's less chance any material would be lost or missing.

I then must be reading to many wrong reviews , you know those amazon reviews that bunch in reviews for all sets in the wrong place . That is great news that there is nothing missing from the ultimate box , and just bring on the blurays Sony .....please :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Repeat after me: "99% of Amazon reviews are not to be trusted and come from ill-informed people."

Make sure to *always* filter for the current product (which is at best rather iffy) and even then don't trust what you read without confirming it elsewhere.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Is there anything missing from "three little beers" and "punch drunks" ? These are the 2 that I see some people saying there cut on the dvds .I did find that malice in the palace was suppose to have curly in it but was cut out , there is a lobby card but no known footage has been found . "Three loan wolves" had a part cut out of a kid slapping them . But this stuff was cut out when the filmed it so like it will ever be found ..

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
^Repeat after me: "99% of Amazon reviews are not to be trusted and come from ill-informed people."

Make sure to *always* filter for the current product (which is at best rather iffy) and even then don't trust what you read without confirming it elsewhere.
The second part basically means that often times, many of the reviews aren't necessarily for the current item. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find some of these reviews referring to missing footage are actually in reference to other edited releases that have nothing to do with the Sony DVDs.

Regarding MALICE IN THE PALACE (1949), I will state that from what I've encountered regarding Curly's purported participation, he was visiting the set, and while photo stills were taken that included him, no footage* with Curly Howard was shot for that short.

*EDIT: According to Bob Furmanek, Curly Howard did film a cameo for MALICE IN THE PALACE (1949), although the script and a photo are now all that survive of this! :(

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Curly definitely filmed a cameo in MALICE. The script and a photo survive but the footage is gone.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Curly definitely filmed a cameo in MALICE. The script and a photo survive but the footage is gone.
Thanks for the correction, Bob! Obviously, I incorrectly remembered that tidbit! I don't believe Curly's cameo made the final MALICE IN THE PALACE (1949) Theatrical release print, at any rate. Shame that the unused footage was lost!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Columbia was much better to i's elements than it's actors. Too bad for them, but we benefit from it now.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
have been watching the hey moe hey dad dvds , I never knew that they could have been signed with Universal , I think maybe that was a blessing in disguise at least for us fans and how the shorts were treated and stored . For all we know they could have been in Universal's fire .

Though I wish Sony had nothing to do with Columbia stuff ... I wish Criterion somehow could try and get the rights to the 190 shorts .... One can dream . :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks