What's new

3D I'm worried for the prospects of classic 3D cartoon shorts on Blu... (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
RolandL's thread, inquiring about the two 3D Three Stooges shorts that still aren't on 3D Blu-ray, inspired me to similarly ask about the small handful of classic-era cartoon shorts, all shot in native 3D, that are likewise missing-in-action on the 3D Blu format. Fortunately, through the commendable efforts of Bob Furmanek and Greg Kintz, we have Boo Moon (1953) and The Adventures of Sam Space (1960) on the excellent 3D Rarities disc (and the latter to also be included on the upcoming Blu-ray of the 3D/Cinemascope restoration of September Storm (1960)). What's left is frustrating, both in that they are an extremely finite number of titles, and the lost opportunities of including the shorts with what features have already been released in the 3D Blu format, thus far.

1.) Lumber Jack-Rabbit (1953, Warner Brothers)
vlcsnap-2016-09-16-15h56m46s484_zps1cvprq2p.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-09-16-15h57m17s203_zpsn74geafp.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-09-16-15h57m27s796_zpsdrf0ahpw.jpg

A Bugs Bunny cartoon directed by Chuck Jones (at the height of his prime period at the studio)... controlled by Warner Home Video, naturally. One would think this would've been an ideal extra on the 3D Blu releases of House of Wax (1953), Dial M for Murder or even Kiss Me Kate or Wizard of Oz 3D... or a modern 3D release, like Mad Max: Fury Road. Who doesn't like Chuck Jones' Bugs Bunny cartoons (especially film enthusiasts)??? Warner still has several 3D features they could release (depending on the state of the various materials), but apart from Hondo (and, as part of a distribution deal with Paramount, may well preclude them from adding their own content to what is essentially a Paramount Home Video disc, in this case), a few decent westerns (The Charge at Feather River, The Bounty Hunter, Arena)... and maybe, possibly Phantom of the Rue Morgue, Second Chance and Dangerous Mission... after that, the further down the list you go, it's a roster of films with less and less modern marketability, except for some diehard fans of anything that's vintage 3D.

2.) Popeye, The Ace of Space (1953, Paramount)
vlcsnap-2016-09-17-09h08m55s859_zpsuaxusafa.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-09-17-09h07m05s015_zpsnweahnca.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-09-17-09h07m16s421_zpsp17b5vr7.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-09-17-09h07m38s296_zps1vfmghcb.jpg

A Famous Studios Popeye cartoon, one of their best 1950s efforts, directed by Seymour Kneitel, and currently controlled by Warner. Ditto the above comments.

3.) Hypnotic Hick (1953, Universal)
vlcsnap-2016-09-16-16h21m56s453_zpscebzgbel.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-08-27-00h22m02s156_zps7n4jnmgk.jpg

A Woody Woodpecker cartoon directed by the under-appreciated Don Patterson, who made most of the best and funniest Woody cartoons of the 1950s, before things started to go creatively downhill at the Walter Lantz Studio. The cartoon is currently controlled by Universal. Again, like Lumberjack Rabbit and Popeye, Ace of Space, this would've been ideal to include with the 3D Blu of Creature From the Black Lagoon, or (especially) the upcoming release of It Came From Outer Space... or they could've licensed it out for inclusion on the 3D Rarities disc, as with Boo Moon. As it stands, there are only four Universal-controlled 3D films still unreleased, with Revenge of the Creature being the most likely (depending on sales of It Came from Outer Space)... the studio's other three unreleased classic-era 3D features are The Glass Web, Taza, Son of Cochise and The Wings of the Hawk.

4.) Adventures in Music: Melody (1953, Disney)
vlcsnap-2016-09-16-18h53m37s906_zpsghi2hqzr.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-09-16-18h54m31s718_zpskosr9wxo.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-09-16-18h56m18s875_zpswpccb5qw.jpg

Disney's first 3D cartoon, co-directed by Ward Kimball and Charles A. Nichols. As far as I can tell, nothing has been done with it on 3D Blu, despite the fact that it was the first Hollywood cartoon made in native 3D, during the era of polarized, theatrical 3D. You'd think it would've made it onto the 3D editions of the Toy Story trilogy, or Tangled, Bolt, or Meet the Robinsons, back when Disney was promoting/supporting 3D Blu in the USA, but it never happened. Star Wars: The Force Awakens would be another golden opportunity, but that again has been passed up.
5.) Working for Peanuts (1953, Disney)
vlcsnap-2016-09-17-19h09m30s703_zpspwpkmpdk.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-09-17-19h09m39s140_zpspxppc5ck.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-09-17-19h10m01s437_zpsz3hjmrcr.jpg

A Donald Duck/Chip & Dale cartoon, directed by Jack Hannah. Technically got a 3D Blu release as part of a 22-minute Disney 3D Hi-Def demo disc that was in an expensive Mitsubishi "3D Starter Set" package, but wasn't/isn't otherwise available to consumers. Ditto the Melody comments... this was even re-released theatrically in 3D with Meet the Robinsons in 2007, but apparently didn't make it onto the feature's 3D Blu release in 2011.

6.) The Tell-Tale Heart (1953, Columbia)
vlcsnap-2016-09-16-17h24m45s421_zpsbq1z0ee2.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-09-16-17h25m43s625_zpsjq6bskll.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-09-16-17h25m56s812_zpsz9mimb30.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-09-16-17h26m03s343_zpskvgg9mrz.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-09-16-17h26m10s968_zpsd5k9jkjz.jpg

A UPA "one-shot" cartoon, directed by Ted Parmelee, and currently controlled by Sony. As detailed at The 3D Film Archive, there's much evidence to suggest it was originally shot (but not released) in 3D, but an inventory search has not yielded either Left or Right film materials (whichever side the current "flat" version represents). I wonder if an effective 3D conversion could be done with this (as was done with the The Wizard of Oz at Warner)... or would such a thing be prohibitively expensive for an eight-minute short? If it's at all feasible, there are a few Columbia 3D features it could be included with (ideally The Mad Magician, along with The Three Stooges' Spooks), mainly westerns: Fort Ti, Gun Fury and The Stranger Wore a Gun.
Is there any hope for these in the 3D Blu format, or are they already, at this point, a lost cause?

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't know what the chances for any of these coming out would be, but just in case any studios are listening...

I would like to buy these. I'd like to give you my money in exchange for copies of these titles. If you release them as standalone titles, I'll buy them. If you piggyback them onto other 3D releases, I'll buy them. If you piggyback them (in 3D) onto other 2D releases, I'll buy them.

I'm ready, willing and eager to part with my money.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
I would purchase any/all of these in any way that they could be released. One on a disc, all together as a package or tacked on to a feature releases. Heck.....I would purchase them if they were attached to a 3D western! Even at an above average price/disc would be ok with me. Love this stuff in 3D.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Sadly, licensing anything from Warner Bros. is out of the question.

Well they did release:

10/9/12 - Dial M for Murder
10/1/13 - House of Wax
03/3/15 - Kiss me Kate

It's time for another 3D title. Maybe they could include a 3D short from the 50's.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Full page ad for The Tell-Tale Heart:

tth1.jpg

tth2.jpg

The Tell-Tale Heart did play with a number of film titles.

tth3.jpg

tth7.jpg

tth6.jpg

tth8.jpg

tth9.jpg

tth10.jpg

Attachments

• tth3.jpg
    tth3.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 106

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I'd love to see all of these in 3-D. I specifically attended a 3-D screening of Meet the Robinsons in the hope of seeing Working for Peanuts. Unfortunately it turned out they didn't bother including it for release in my region of the world, all I got to see was lackluster CG Disney in an early 3-D conversion.

I certainly hope Warners still has plans for their other 3-D features. An ideal scenario would be to pair Lumber Jack-Rabbit with The Moonlighter, just as it was in the original theatrical release. It might actually be a good way to boost interest in a somewhat forgotten title that lacks major star power. But I'd be happy to see the cartoon released with any of their 3-D titles.

My other suggestion would be for Warners to gather together all the modern 3-D CG Looney Tunes in a set (some of which are still unreleased), along with 1953's Lumber Jack-Rabbit, and 1997's Marvin the Martian in the Third Dimension. I believe WB may also have the rights to Paramount's Popeye, The Ace of Space, a totally unrelated cartoon, which I'm sure would be a welcome 'extra' in any 3-D cartoon set.

To be honest, I'm pessimistic about the prospects for most of these cartoons, but very eager to see them released, and I'll take them any way that can happen. If it wasn't for 3-D Rarities we'd have next to nothing. It's a huge deal to have Sam Space and Casper, as well the innovative Norman McLaren animated 3-D films which are not to be overlooked.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
As there's probably going to be a Space Jam 2 and perhaps a 3D version I would encourage Warner to pair it with Lumberjack Rabbit...it would have been good with Storks as well...

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
An ideal scenario would be to pair Lumber Jack-Rabbit with The Moonlighter, just as it was in the original theatrical release. It might actually be a good way to boost interest in a somewhat forgotten title that lacks major star power.

[...]

If it wasn't for 3-D Rarities we'd have next to nothing. It's a huge deal to have Sam Space and Casper, as well the innovative Norman McLaren animated 3-D films which are not to be overlooked.

Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck together strikes you as a lack of major star power?!?! Ed, you have very high standards indeed! ;)

Granted, from what I hear, their pairing in The Moonlighter lacks spark--about like having two klieg lights running on flashlight batteries. (I still have not caught up with The Moonlighter, even in 2-D.) But, come on, this is Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck we're talking about here! :)

I completely concur with your latter statements. I am very, very thankful we have 3-D Rarities; as you point out, it offers us not two but six key stereoscopic animated films of the 1950s.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I won't argue about that but I meant in 2016 terms, as in can you put those names on the cover and have guaranteed sales. It's not like John Wayne or Vincent Price. Look how much money WB reportedly spent restoring House of Wax, maybe they can justify spending that kind of money on a film with Vincent Price, or a film directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Might be harder to make the case for investing that amount in some of their other 3-D titles.

Anyway, the point was that Bugs Bunny in 3-D would be a pretty cool extra, and not a bad a selling point.

220px-Lumber_Jack-Rabbit_Poster.PNG

Put this on the back cover of a second tier 3-D feature and it becomes a much more interesting package. The poster is to the point, and could probably work even at postage stamp size. And who doesn't like Bugs Bunny?

.​

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
There might be hope for the Columbia title. I'm sure WA would like to, but they are often limited by studio rules. Universal might if it's new use of the 3-D film archive continues (hint: buy It Came from Outer Space). I fear Disney is hopeless, but I think Working for Peanuts already was released on some obscure Mitsubishi home theater package. Maybe I'll track that down some day.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I forget what the exact details were, but I remember someone (Greg Kintz from the 3D Film Archive, perhaps) explaining that the Working For Peanuts version included on that disc had the quality of the 3D altered from its original release, so it's not the same 3D presentation audiences saw in the 1950s. That said, I'd be very happy to add it to my collection, but whenever I've seen it on eBay, it's been north of $100.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I forget what the exact details were, but I remember someone (Greg Kintz from the 3D Film Archive, perhaps) explaining that the Working For Peanuts version included on that disc had the quality of the 3D altered from its original release, so it's not the same 3D presentation audiences saw in the 1950s..

True. 3D convergence was pushed slightly out. Fortunately the LG UHD 3D TV owners can use a "3D Veiwpoint" convergence placement control setting located in 3D Mode features to push the convergence back if desired. Link

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I forget what the exact details were, but I remember someone (Greg Kintz from the 3D Film Archive, perhaps) explaining that the Working For Peanuts version included on that disc had the quality of the 3D altered from its original release, so it's not the same 3D presentation audiences saw in the 1950s. That said, I'd be very happy to add it to my collection, but whenever I've seen it on eBay, it's been north of $100.

Its on eBay now for $42.99

eb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks