What's new

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Could somebody please tell me is Avatar way of the water 3D bluray is region free? Sold out in Australia and Disney won't import anymore 3D copies. Obviously Disney don't care.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Could somebody please tell me is Avatar way of the water 3D bluray is region free? Sold out in Australia and Disney won't import anymore 3D copies. Obviously Disney don't care.

Both the case and the disc have an "ABC" region logo printed on them, so you should be OK. However, I haven't actually tested the disc in a Region B or C player.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Both the case and the disc have an "ABC" region logo printed on them, so you should be OK. However, I haven't actually tested the disc in a Region B or C player.
Since people ask me that same question periodically, I almost wish that I had a cheap Region B and a Region C player just for testing. I'm Region free capable with a modded Oppo 205, but the process of switching is just tedious enough that it's not worth the effort when it doesn't really matter to me personally.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Since people ask me that same question periodically, I almost wish that I had a cheap Region B and a Region C player just for testing. I'm Region free capable with a modded Oppo 205, but the process of switching is just tedious enough that it's not worth the effort when it doesn't really matter to me personally.
Since 99% of the non-Region A Blu-rays I own are from Region B, I just leave my Sony RF player set to that region and never really have to muck with it. I think I've changed it to Region C once. YMMV of course.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Since Disney owns its films outright worldwide, I believe they release everything (or most things) region-free. At least, I've never come across any non-US-release Disney disc that wasn't.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Since 99% of the non-Region A Blu-rays I own are from Region B, I just leave my Sony RF player set to that region and never really have to muck with it. I think I've changed it to Region C once. YMMV of course.

Same here. Region A Blu-rays I play on my default LG UHD/BD/DVD player. I also have a switchable-region LG Blu-ray player that I just leave set to RB (it's automatically multi-region for DVDs).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Since Disney owns its films outright worldwide, I believe they release everything (or most things) region-free. At least, I've never come across any non-US-release Disney disc that wasn't.
I think there were a couple UK Disney 3D releases that were Region B only (Ratatouille? Wreck-It Ralph?)

Last edited:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Most of mine are A, and that's what I'm set to for default. I normally only switch when necessary. But every one in a while, someone asks need to verify if a given disc will play on their player. I've even had someone suggest that we should list verified Regions on everything that we do. I'd love to help, but it's still not worth the effort.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

Basically the same situation here.

FWIW, I programmed the region changing steps into a Harmony Hub, which is in turn linked to Alexa. So if I want to switch to Region B, all I have to do is say, "Alexa, turn on Region B" and wait for her to go through all the steps for me.

Frustratingly, Alexa will not recognize the command "Turn on Region A" because she thinks I'm trying to say "region a [something-something]" and never complete the sentence. So I have to use "Turn on Region 1" instead.

Also, the region change requires the player to reboot, and no matter how long a delay I program between the Power-Off and Power-On steps, it never seems to be long enough and I have to do the power on step myself manually.

Anyway, I was busy earlier, but I have a few minutes now so I switched the player to Region B and put in the Way of Water 3D disc. Seems to work fine.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
While I understand that everyone has their own preferences regarding 3D presentations, and that's fine, I do struggle a bit with the phrase "pure depth, nothing got exploited in the 3d realm." Obviously, if there's depth, the 3D realm is indeed being exploited. Just not necessarily the way that you prefer.

I haven't put my Blu-ray 3D in yet to check it out, but I did see The Way of Water in HFR 3D theatrically, and there was plenty of depth to the presentation, so it was quite effective as a 3D film. No, there aren't a ton of pop-out effects, and if that's what you want, you may indeed be disappointed. But some of the 3D planes of the surface of the water were quite extraordinary. Every time that something surfaced out of the water, it was genuinely lifelike.

I guess for movies like The Way of Water, you need to watch it on a 130 inch screen with a Blu-ray player that allows you to adjust the 3D. Just watched it and my wife and I thought the 3D was excellent with lots of depth and pop-outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks