What's new

Which is a better DirecTV HD receiver? Also, what's this about a new receivers... (1 Viewer)

SteveMarcR

Grip
Hey guys,

I recently got the Triple LNB dish from DirecTV, and I am going to be purchasing a HD receiver in the next week. I have been impressed by both the Samsung SIR TS-160 and the Sony SAT-HD200.

While the both seem to have gotten impressive reviews, does there seem to be a general consensus with one over the other? I have the new Sony 51" Widescreen (KP51ws510) and I'm wondering if there will significant better picture quality with the Sony receiver, simply because they are the same brand component.

Also, I have heard and read recently that there are some new receivers coming out in the fall that have some new intergration with OTA HD channels and the DTV channels? Can someone clarify this? I'm sure this won't make these new receivers obsolete, and I didn't want to particurarly wait till the holidays to take advantage of the HDTV... will these improvements be VAST or just the regular upgrades of technology? If anyone has a post or link they could refer me to, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Steve,

All HD-capable DirecTV receivers will tune regular and HD satellite channels, analog OTA tv channels, and digital OTA channels. You will need a separate antenna for local over the air reception. DirecTV does not broadcast any locals in HD, so if you want to receive your local HD channels you will need that separate antenna.

You don't need to get a Sony HD-200 just because you have a Sony tv. The Zenith 520 is the same receiver and is usually priced a couple of hundred dollars less. Both are made by LG electronics.

I have the Sony myself because I couldn't find the Zenith in my area and wanted to buy locally in case I needed to return it.

There's a very comprehensive HDTV hardware forum over at AVS Forums, where you can learn just about all you need to know about stbs, antennas, and such. I can't post a link but if you type "AVS Forums" into your search engine it should come up as the first choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks