What's new

Help! Which receiver, what do I do?? (1 Viewer)

Adam McNeill

Auditioning
Hi,
I'd like to know what to do here:
I currently have a Sony DE825 Dolby Digital receiver along with:
Sony 35" Trinitron S40 TV (rca/svideo in)
Sony Hi-Fi VCR (rca)
Toshiba 2109 DVD (s-video & optical/co-ax out)
Sony PlayStation2 /w S-video & optical DD/DTS
Sony 200disc CD changer (optical OR rca[currently])
RCA DirecTV 4th Gen 420RE Receiver (s-video)
klipsch 10" sub powered
Energy exl15 surrounds
Energy exl16 fronts
Energy exlC centre
all running monster medium quality
So here's my problem. My Sony receiver only does Dolby Digital (no DTS) and ProLogic. The subwoofer output no longer functions, or does so at an extremely low volume (I have to add +10 bass and turn the sub up all the way to get anything out of it). I'm thinking it's time for a new amp..
Now this is my first slapped together Home Theatre, and I would like to take into consideration the future now that I can afford a better amp.
My problem is I don't know what would be best, and this is why: I will upgrade and get HD once it becomes a little more mainstream, at this point I would probably also purchase a progressive scan DVD (or possibly DVD-HD).. the current amps that can handle this that also have Dolby Pro Logic II are the Onkyo 898 and 989's. Both fairly pricey units. But would perhaps last me longer than say a 595 or 696[which also has component switching]. Both of these units also have DPLII and are at a much more resonable price (though the 696 is about double the price for me). The aspect of 7.1 entrigues me, but I don't know if I'll even get to use it before they come out with some new standard. Will it ever stop?? (don't answer that.. )
Anyhow...
The reason I only mention Onkyo is I work for a chain of stores up here where I Onkyo, Sony, Pioneer, and Luxman are the only brands of hifi we carry. I assume the Onkyo to be the best of the group for quality/etc.. and I can get the 595 for about $600CDN out the door and the 696 $1050CDN out the door.
Any suggestions would be great..
Thanks!
Adam.

Adam McNeill

Auditioning
I haven't really looked at the Pioneer products. To be truthful, I hate the ergonmics of them. Saying that, what really sells me on Sony is the way they look -- but I'm starting to get past the looks and more in the quality range.
wink.gif

I'd love to hear some feedback on what someone would do given my situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks