What's new

Which Console's Tony Hawk to get? (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I'm renting it anyway, so I'll just try both GC & Xbox. :) I had high hopes for THPS4, but after seeing a video, it was just like #3. Just add a little more speed & make it even easier to string endless combos.
-Dave

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
it was just like #3. Just add a little more speed & make it even easier to string endless combos
Actually, there looks to be a pretty fundamental difference in the career mode, and the levels look like they'll be a lot bigger than in previous games. I'm thinking that the Oil Rig level in TH3x is the kind of size we're looking at for the new one. It'll be interesting to see how the new career system works though, and I'm intrigued by the new "spine transfer" move. The preview seemed to say that you can use it to save yourself from a bail going off the edge of a halfpipe towards the ground, which cost me a LOT of combos in TH3.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Yes, 4 will have bigger levels & a different career system, but for gameplay, its just faster & easier.

-Dave

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
I've got TH2 for DC and PS2, 2X for Xbox, and 3 for Xbox and GC. That being said, I prefer the Xbox S controller for it... however, my other favorite is the PS2 controller on my Xbox.. that way I get the best of both worlds. It took a little time, but I got it figured out. At EB I got the PS2 controller to Xbox adaptor, and for my PC, at Radioshack, I've got the PS2 to USB. I think I'm gonna get the PS2 to GC adaptor that I saw at BB, but I really love the wavebird, so it may wait a bit.

Jim

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I bought both the PS2 versions and Xbox versions of Tony Hawk 3 (and GBA. I love this game, you can tell).
I love the Xbox controller for Tony Hawk 3 for these reasons:
1. The Controller S face buttons and placement
2. Using the Xbox S analog joystick rules for THPS3
3. Using the Xbox S D-Pad also rules for THPS3, tho I don't need it because I use the above
4. The trigger functions actually work better combined into 2 triggers instead of 4 - just for gameplay sake.
In addition to these, I think the Xbox S's D-pad is better and more comfortable than the PS2.
Now, on top of all that Xbox has a custom soundtrack option which just changed the game for me and is something I can't live without anymore. No more skateboarding to purely punk music for me.
Just get it for Xbox. The only thing that bugs me about Xbox is that possibility that it might not be on Xbox Live, which is half my reason for getting it.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Ok...I have a preorder down on the Xbox version, mainly because of the custom soundtrack and progressive scan modes, but after reading IGNs preview of the online mode in this one, I am leaning back to the PS2 version. I just played a demo for the PS2 tonight at a comp USA and in the demo it had 16:9 support, but does it do 480p?
This is a bad situation for me. I want the best quality in the game, but online play is a pretty big thing to pass up!
AAAGGGHHHH!! Decisions!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks