What's new

Which Console's Tony Hawk to get? (1 Viewer)

Jason Price

Second Unit

I first played THPS3 on the PS2 at a friends place, and later bought it for my Xbox. I didn't have any problems switching to the standard Xbox controller...

*shrug*

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I played TH3 on the Cube and Xbox, and I have to say that the Xbox version wins hands down. Not only does the game look absolutely incredible, but having the custom soundtracks is a nice feature.

As for the controller issue, I played with the standard Xbox controller and had no problems with it. Tried going back to the gamecube though, and found that the button layout was a little awckward (but that could just be due to logging a LOT of time on the Xbox version of THPS3). If the game supports system link, then you should be able to play via gamespy (for free no less), and if you can handle the HD resolution, the Xbox version should win hands down.

Who would have thought a year ago that Tony Hawk 4 would be one of the games I was looking forward to the most this year... Zero interest in skateboarding, but the game is just so damn fun...

Damien

Supporting Actor
the frame rate may be a bother in the ps2 version as well...and you can save unlimited replays with the hardrive if you wanted to on xbox

Andre F

Screenwriter
I think I'll go with the Xbox version since I just got an Xbox and I need to build a library....

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
the frame rate may be a bother in the ps2 version as well
I heard people compaining about the framerate in THPS3 on PS2, but I really don't see why... I only noticed the SLIGHTEST drop in framerate when the bridge collapses in the city stage, but other than that it was 60fps all the way.

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
personally i don't think there will be a major problem with the controller no matter what system you get it on. having all three systems and having played a tony on all of them i can give my two cents. once you have played for a few mins you basically adapt to that controller anyway. now if you've got big hands gamecube is NOT the way for you to go. but i find that even xbox's standard controller works fine (but i do honestly lean toward the S for the tony hawks). i'd suggest xbox's for the chance gamespy will work and the fact you have custom soundtracks. that really does make most games ten times more enjoyable. i don't honestly seeing graphics as big a deal here.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Actually, my one gripe about the custom soundtracks is that all of the tracks would cut off after 2 minutes (which I hope is different for the new format). After a while I just took to putting on music CDs and playing with no game sound at all when I was finishing off the career mode.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
This would be painful if the 720p rumor is true, since THPS is one of my favorite games and to not be able to run it on my TV would be a shame.
I went through a long thread over at AVS discussing Street Hoops and its inability to play on anything but a native 720p display, so I am guessing THPS4 would be the same if done in 720p :frowning:.

Jason Price

Second Unit
This would be painful if the 720p rumor is true, since THPS is one of my favorite games and to not be able to run it on my TV would be a shame.

I went through a long thread over at AVS discussing Street Hoops and its inability to play on anything but a native 720p display, so I am guessing THPS4 would be the same if done in 720p .
There's no way any game today would be released as being playable only on HDTV sets. The HDTV demographic is so small, that the developer would be giving up 95% of their sales by making it HDTV-only. That's just not going to happen...

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
I think Jehan means he has a set that doesn't display 720p as long as your set will scale 720p, you will be fine. I was wondering the same thing about the xbox controller I tried Th2x at my brother's house and could not get use to it, but come on TH4 in 720p, even if I can't figure out the controller I will just marvel at the graphics. anyone who has this month's oxm disc check out the top ten plays for a glimpse of a TH4 level in action.

I was wondering if anyone has used one of those converters that lets you use a ps2 controller on your xbox, I was thinking about getting that.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The converters are Ok. You really need to mash the buttons though
Get a controller S for Tony Hawk, its really good for it!

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Jehan, are you saying that Street Hoops can't put out a 480p signal?

-Dave

Scott "E"

Second Unit
This is from the Team Xbox preview of THPS4 that can be found here
Now, for the bad news….no LIVE online play. While the PS2 version gets to go online, as it did with THPS3, the Xbox version only supports system link play.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the PS2 version will support 480p? Lots of games recently have for the system, I want to know if this one does. I cannot display 720p, but would be happy with 480p on PS2 if it meant online play.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
ScottE - if it supports system link, at least it'll be able to be played via the Gamespy 'hack' etc. Not the same as proper Xbox Live support, but it's better than a poke in the eye with a very large stick.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Dave: no, I think my comments were a little misleading. From what I have read, Street Hoops defaults to 480p if one doesn't have the ability to accept the 720p signal for their particular TV. What I was concerned about was running THPS4 in HD, and given it is rumored to only support 720p this would be impossible for most as a lot of sets simply don't accept a 720p signal (which would mean running at 480p which is not really HD). I can understand that it is more troublesome for a developer to support 1080i, but if only a few people can benefit from the 720p support I don't understand the big deal. If only the XB could up(down)convert signals natively then this wouldn't be a problem either.

Scott "E"

Second Unit
I agree BrianB, something is better than nothing. I'm definitely going to miss the voice chat though, hopefully the next Tony Hawk will have support for XBL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks