What's new

Gotta catch 'em all! (not really Pokémon related) (1 Viewer)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, it looks like I might be finally catching 'em all tomorrow! I've had a DC, PSX and N64 for years, bought a PS2 at the beginning of the year, a GC on UK release, and finally got a Saturn about a month or two ago. Now, I'm going to complete the set thanks to a very VERY nice friend. One who doesn't really play games that much, and whose 9-year-old just adores my spare Dreamcast (don't worry, I've still got my main one) and PSX but can't afford to buy new games. They have just won an XBox, and for want of things to do with it are letting me have it instead :D :) :D
So, I'm leading a EBay auction for Halo, obviously, but I need some assistance. Having a machine for one game seems a bit silly, so I'm looking at what else to get. However, I've got some caveats and limitations to your nominations, which make life more difficult for you:
1) With a PC and all those other consoles, you can't choose a game I already have, so no Max Payne, Crazy Taxi, Burnout etc.
2) With a PS2 already, I'm not buying Tony Hawk's 3 at £45 when the PS2 release is under £20, and similiarly for most of the other multi-platform releases, unless you can either really convince me the XBox version is that much better, or the PS2 release is still full price.
3) I'm already in trouble for buying far too many racing games, so no matter how nice MotoGP and PGR are, I'm not allowed them until I make more headway with F355, MSR, GT3, Bleemcast! GT2, Grand Prix 3, Tokyo Highway Battle 2, XG3 etc. etc.
4) I don't even like beat 'em ups that much most of the time, and yet already own Soul Calibur, VF 2 and 3, Bleemcast! Tekken 3, Virtual On etc. (admittedly, I do like most of the above games) Anyone trying to persuade me that DoA Chest Simulator is worth the ire of my wife over gets a free slap.
So, that should make things a bit more difficult for you all. Currently, the most likely options are Amped (despite my misgivings on a demo pod about what I was meant to be doing), Buffy (out in the UK tomorrow) or just waiting for Panzer Dragoon Orta (I'm sure I've mentioned how much I like Rez several times). After all, I have bought Frequency and Dancing Stage Euromix (with a mat) in the last few weeks, so its not like I don't have new games to play.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Iain,
Congrats on getting an X-box. You have a great friend. :emoji_thumbsup:
Here are a few of my favorites.
Jet Set Radio Future (pure fun and what a soundtrack)
Buffy (great fighting engine, even better if you are a Buffy fan)
NCAA Football 2003 (if you like college football)
NFL2K3 (again, if you like football)
-Dean-

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Brilliant sir, just brilliant. Some good-uns coming between now and Christmas for the ol Box. Fun for all! :)
I think Ralisport is still the racing game to check out, and I don't even own it myself yet. I've held back, though am not entirely sure why. I forget if a sequel was announced or the prospect of Colin's third rally game outing swayed my descision. :)
I've had mine since May and still only have 4 games for it, the last being Spider-Man. The prices of the games just, well... are not what I need right now. I keep thinking that soon for every X-box game purchased you'll get a free X-box console! :D Machine is ever dropping in prices, but the damn cost of the software just isn't going anywhere really.
Some of my definate choices between now and the year's end include: Splinter Cell, Medal of Honor Frontline, NBA2K3 & NHL2K3 ( both pending a UK date! ugh) and Panzer Dragoon Orta. Should Knights of the Old Republic make it for Christmas, which isnt likely, that too obviously. ToeJam and Earl III will also probably grace my shelf without much hessitation.
Some additional titles pending how good they actually turn out to be include: 007 Nightfire, Fifa 2003, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Malice and Siera's (book based) Fellowship of the Ring action/rpg.
Tony Hawks 4 I may get for the box, but it will come down to which incarnation on the three consoles is the best in features, and controls.
Dan

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The Indiana Jones game jumped up in my radar since playing Buffy.

To me, THPS4 will stay on the PS2 - I think it's best suited to the dual shock.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Iain,
Welcome to the ranks of the people who know where the best games are!
Munch's Oddysee is what I'd recommend if you like adventure games.
Again,welcome to the club!
(hands over the executive keys)
:)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Since I'm a fan of Buffy the TV series its been a tempting one; I've just been concerned that as a licensed tie-in it would be as bad as those usually are...

Oh, and don't shoot me, but I've just bid £14 for Wreckless for some odd reason. Still, I did enjoy Super Runabout a lot while it lasted, so lets see.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'd go with Buffy, Iain. It's very very good. Way better than it deserved to be, as you said ;)
As for Wreckles... It's got its fans. I'm not one of them. Tried it again recently, still hated it. Looks pretty though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks