What's new

Hulu Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV: Forced ads during playback of DVR recordings (1 Viewer)

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
YouTubeTV recently failed to reach a carriage agreement with SNY (the cable network that carries most of the New York Mets games). SNY disappeared from YouTubeTV on July 1. So, I dropped YouTubeTV. One of the main reasons I had it was to watch the Mets (alas, we are diehard Mets fans at our house without respect to their current performance -- weep for us). I switched to Hulu (With Ads) + Live TV in order to pick up SNY -- it also had most of the other stuff we watched on YouTubeTV and was a bit cheaper as a bonus.

My normal mode of watching a game is to DVR it with the streaming service's cloud-based DVR and start watching perhaps 20 minutes after the broadcast begins so that I can fast-forward most of the ads and, generally, catch up to live TV by the end of the broadcast. It worked great with YouTubeTV (and with my previous cable-based DVR for that matter). I quickly discovered that on Hulu I was repeatedly forced to watch 60 to 90 seconds of their non-skippable ads (not the ads included in the broadcast) after fast forwarding through 2 or 3 broadcast commercial breaks. Very annoying (especially when coupled with other elements of their DVR interface which I find generally inferior to YouTubeTV's -- but that's a matter for a different post).

I concluded this must be because I was only paying for "Hulu (With Ads) + Live TV", not "Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV". So I upgraded. To my surprise: no difference (with respect to this specific behavior). I still am subjected to periodic forced ads trying to fast-forward through the games. I've seen this for games carried both on SNY and on ESPN.

I have not seen this behavior on other things I'm recording; for example episodes of Jeopardy and some hour long programs on one of their Vevo music networks. I can seemingly fast forward that DVRed content all I want without forced ads; this was true both before and after I upgraded to "No Ads". I *think* the difference is I generally watch these other programs after they have finished recording; not while they are still in-progress recordings like the games. I haven't had it long enough to do lots of experimenting to see if this is consistently true.

Hulu does put some weasel-words around their "no ads" claim saying that certain shows may still have ads at the beginning and end -- but I can't find anything that talks about possible forced ads while watching a DVR recording.

Before I try to deal with their customer service: does anyone else have this service and have you experienced this behavior with recordings? If so have you found any workarounds?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is in Hulu's help center:

Can I fast forward through my recordings?

Yes, but keep in mind that you can only fast forward through ads in Cloud DVR recordings, not during live TV or on-demand videos.

So it sounds like you would have to wait until the game is over and the recording is complete in order to fast forward the ads. If the game/show is still in-progress, you cannot do this.

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
This is in Hulu's help center:

So it sounds like you would have to wait until the game is over and the recording is complete in order to fast forward the ads. If the game/show is still in-progress, you cannot do this.
Thanks for finding that. I guess you can interpret that statement that way. I interpreted it to mean you can't fast forward live TV distinct from Cloud DVR recordings, though that's a statement so obvious that it's not worth saying I suppose. So maybe you're right.

I can fast forward the "live" ads. I.e. the recorded ones in the broadcast. But not the ads that Hulu itself is introducing with their countdown timer in the corner. Frankly it still feels more like a bug than anything else: Hulu introducing unskipable ads that would not be there if I were either watching the same thing live or the same thing after the recording had completed.

One thing I know is that I'll go running back to YouTubeTV if they reach a carriage agreement with SNY.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've had commercial free Hulu for a couple years, and there's no simple answer. Some programs allow you to start late, from the beginning, and skip commercials until you reach the live stream. And... others don't. It isn't even the same for all programs on each network. For instance, I regularly start some ABC programs from the beginning after they started, and skip commercials. But other programs on the same network won't allow me to do that. Local news for instance. One way to tell if you can is to click on a program (click on the program, not the network) after it's started and if it has a "Watch from Beginning" option, then you can skip commercials... usually.

I've often done what you're doing on NFL and NHL games, including ones on ESPN.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Hulu has made many adjustments, I always went for the no ads option because most of what I use them for was the network programing not for sports. But when I found that they had dropped at least 2 of my favorite programs, The Voice and AGT in the no ads packege and could only regain them in the higher Hulu+Live package I DROPPED THEM LIKE THE WHORE THEY ARE!!! Good luck with that ;)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I didn't want to make a separate thread but alot of shows are leaving HULU by the end of September

20th TV shows leaving Sept. 30:

The Bob Newhart Show
Dollhouse
Napoleon Dynamite
Don’t Trust the B—- in APT 23
Second Chance
Shots Fired
Touch
Ally McBeal
Arrested Development
Sirens
The Cleveland Show
Hill Street Blues
Damien
Son of Zorn
The Practice
Speechless
Out There
Legends
Breakout Kings
Better Off Ted

Fox shows, most of them departing Sept. 25
I Can See Your Voice (Seasons 1-2)
Alter Ego (Season 1)
Cherries Wild (Season 1)
Beat Shazam (Seasons 4-5)
Masterchef Junior (Seasons 1-8)
Masked Dancer (Season 1)
Crime Scene Kitchen (Seasons 1-2)
Gordon Ramsay’s 24 Hours To Hell And Back (Seasons 1-3)
Cosmos Possible Worlds (Season 1)
Lego Masters (Seasons 1-2)
Masterchef (Seasons 1-12)
The Masked Singer (Seasons 1-8)
Name That Tune (Seasons 1-2)
Next Level Chef (Season 1)

Paramount catalog tittles, departing Sept. 30/Oct. 14:
  • VH1 (entire hub)
Basketball Wives LA (Seasons 1-3)
Love & Hip Hop Hollywood (Seasons 1-4)
RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars (Seasons 1-3)

• MTV
Acapulco Shore (Seasons 1-4) -October 14 exp.
Catfish Mexico (Season 1) -October 14 exp.
The Hills (Seasons 1-6)
My Super Sweet 16 (Seasons 4-7)
The Real World (one or more seasons)

• Showtime:
Sleeper Cell (Season 1)

• CBS:7th Heaven (Seasons 1-4)
    Beverly Hills 90210 (Seasons 1-2)
  • Comedy Central
La Culpa es de Cortés

• Paramount Network Mexico:
Dani Who (

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I didn't want to make a separate thread but alot of shows are leaving HULU by the end of September

The Bob Newhart Show
Dollhouse
Napoleon Dynamite
Second Chance
Shots Fired
Touch
Ally McBeal
Arrested Development
Sirens
The Cleveland Show
Hill Street Blues
Damien
Son of Zorn
The Practice
Speechless
Out There
Legends
Breakout Kings
Better Off Ted

Alter Ego (Season 1)
Cherries Wild (Season 1)
Masked Dancer (Season 1)

• VH1 (entire hub)

• MTV
The Hills (Seasons 1-6)

• Showtime:
Sleeper Cell (Season 1)

• Comedy Central
La Culpa es de Cortés

Dani Who (
Yep seems to be the way....when they dropped The Voice and AGT with ad free option, a dropped them like a bad habit!!

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen

The Bob Newhart Show
Dollhouse
Napoleon Dynamite
Second Chance
Shots Fired
Touch
Ally McBeal
Arrested Development
Sirens
The Cleveland Show
Hill Street Blues
Damien
Son of Zorn
The Practice
Speechless
Out There
Legends
Breakout Kings
Better Off Ted

Alter Ego (Season 1)
Cherries Wild (Season 1)
Masked Dancer (Season 1)

• VH1 (entire hub)

• MTV
The Hills (Seasons 1-6)

• Showtime:
Sleeper Cell (Season 1)

• Comedy Central
La Culpa es de Cortés

Dani Who (
Thanks for the heads-up, particularly on Better Off Ted. I started rewatching it recently (for I think the third time -- love that show -- wish it had lasted longer). Guess I better hurry through the remaining episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks